Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alexei Yagudin

Custom Title

Alexei Yagudin

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I always found Yagudin more interesting as a skater anyways. And he was better at his peak. To bad an injury derailed his career but at least he won the OGM before he had to quit.
    Some posters keep using Plushenko's threads to gush over Alexei Yagudin. Now, we all know Plushenko wouldn't mind but I think Alexei deserves his own love thread.
    Maybe it's more fun to be offtopic on Plushy's threads , but I invite all Alexei's fans to post here long and often.

Banned
    I am sure they will stick on Plu threads.

But yeah, why not to invite them here. Here's Yag at one of his recent shows "Morozko":
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOpLCRJlTvo

Custom Title
    Unfortunately Plushenko's threads are full of "Yagudin was a better skater" (was, as if he were dead ), but his recent videos on youtube have only a couple of views.

Rinkside
    Big fan of Yagudin. Wish he could have gone on to the 2006 Olympics.

Custom Title
    Thank you so much for this thread!

For me, this is probably the most favorite performance by Alexei. Though he did not win World title, I love this one, more than his OGM-winning The Man in the Iron Mask. He shows so much emotion. He lost SP (3rd place), so was ON FIRE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwy-pNScPA4

Was that 3A-half loop-3S? or -3F? What a 'gorgeous' combination! Who else can do that among the current crops of skaters? Hanyu. And Aaron, maybe.
    I also love Alexei's speed while doing Circular Step and Straightline Step Sqs, which I miss under CoP rules these days.

Off topic: I often love watching performances in the Free of those who made mistakes in SP or who got lowbelled in SP unfortunately. Because they are ON FIRE. e.g. Gracie at 2013 US Nats and Dai at Japanese Nats come to my mind.

Last edited by figuristka; 01-30-2013 at 06:50 AM.

Custom Title
    This is going to become one of my favorite threads! Thanks for starting it.
    Last edited by Olympia; 01-31-2013 at 05:15 AM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Indeed!

What was the best version of Gladiator, do you think?

Do you remember what cheesefest it was where Alexei skated with two real knives ?

What I'd love to see is the BESP version of Yagudin's 2002 Oly's FS - I remember it as this amazing moment - one of my favourite skating moments ever - and then I found some, I believe, American commentator-vid of it where they basically came across as saying that it was so-so - I believe they used the word "conservative", for instance. Also, they didn't seem sure that he had won, and I remember not one vestige of doubt about it... What a weird feeling... So, if anyone's seen a BESP vid, please post it! (Oh, how I mourn having lost the BESP commentary! I want it baaaaaaack - but, sorry, I digress... )

Custom Title
    Ok, we need more Yagudin fans, more Yagudin love in this thread.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Do you remember what cheesefest it was where Alexei skated with two real knives ?
    This one, doris?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnxkMvBq7w4

At Sears Open 2001. Wow, 3F, 3A and 3S while holding two knives!
    Loved his step sequences!

Off topic: personally I still wanted that Joubert would have kept his previous Free 'The Inception', but after watching this, it's understandable and forgivable that Brian dropped it and wanted to go for 'Gladiator'.
    Last edited by deedee1; 02-01-2013 at 05:12 AM.

That's the one. I couldn't believe he would do jumps with two knives

They were rubber knives as I recall.

I swear I remember whoever the commentator was saying they were real, the first time I saw him do it. If he had sense, he replaced them with rubber though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

What was the best version of Gladiator, do you think?
    My favourite Gladiator was Alexei's performance at 2000 Trophee Lalique: http://youtu.be/yG3fQXgQVK0

The performance is nowhere near clean, but the intensity, the passion, and the abandon that Alexei skated with in especially in the second half of the program is just staggering.

As for a lesser-known Alexei program, I really liked his Broken Arrow LP as well: http://youtu.be/4Qtl44YyBEc
    I thought Broken Arrow was quite an interesting program and I'm sad that he dumped it for Tosca at 2000 Worlds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast