Final Flight
Country
Canada
1. Mao
2. Osmond
3. Gold

1. Hanyu
2. Takahashi
3. Aaron - he could set himself up well for his first time at Worlds if he can medal here

1. Duhamel/Radford
2. Moore-Towers/ Moscovitch
3. Castelli/Shnapir

Neither Pang/Tong nor Sui/Han is listed as competing at 4CC; in fact, there are only two Chinese teams listed now, so the field is down to eight pairs. :disapp:

1. Davis/White
2. Virtue/Moir
3. Chock/Bates

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
i would like it to be 1) gracie
2) kaetlyn
3) mao

1) daisuke
2) yuzuru
3) max/aaron

1) duhamel/radford
2) castelli/shnapir
3) moore-towers/moscovitch

1) davis/white
2) virture/moir
3) shibs/chock/bates

probably be

1) mao
2) kaetlyn
3) akiko
4) gracie

1) daisuke
2) yuzuru
3) max
4) ross
5)tahakito

1) virture/moir
2) davis/white
3) open

1) duhamel/radford
2) moore-towers/moscovitch
3) castelli/shnapir

GF2445

Record Breaker
My predictions

Men's
1 hanyu (Fernandez' performance at Europeans definitely gave an indication that he and hanyu are pushing each other)
2 daisuke (hanyu beat akahashi at nationals)
3 Miner (Ross miner has had a lot of good skates in Japan. His two Gand pix medals came from NHK. Also internationally he has more experience than Aaron).

Outside surprises max Aaron (us champion) Kevin Reynolds (he can do 2 quads in the short and 3 in the long like he did at nationals and got 261) and

Pairs
1 duhamel and (they have the tricks that no one else can do. Sbs 3Lz and 3S 2T 2T and throw 3Lz)
2 mooretowers and moscovitch (finished just 2 points behind duhamel and radford at nationals)
3 cheng/peng (just for a surprise)

castelli/shnapir are outside favourites but can cause an upset.

Dance
The tide has shifted to the americans but this is usually the time when the tide comes back to virtue and moir. While their short dances are now equally as good it's all going to come down to the free dance and only from that view I think Davis and white will beat virtue and moir. While v m have been pushing the sport with Their modern Carmen, it is the American's Norte dame fd that's been calling the highest levels by the panel and higher pcs. However it's going to be close nonetheless and who knows? Anything can happen
1 Davis and white
2 virtue and moir
3 Chock and bates

Outside surprises include the shibutanis who have lost favour from judges but can easily come back.

ForeverFish

Medalist
What's with putting Osmond ahead of Asada? I get that the girl is talented, but...

Ladies:
1. Asada
2. Suzuki
3. Gold
4. Osmond
5. Gao or Zawadzki

Men's:
1. Hanyu
2. Takahashi
3. Kozuka
4. Miner
5. Aaron or Rippon

(The men's field is looking like a repeat of Skate America.)

FTnoona

Final Flight
Ladies:
1. Asada
2. Osmond
3. Suzuki

Men:
1. Takahashi (IMO He's got the momentum after nationals)
2. Hanyu
3. Miner

ForeverFish, Kozuka did not get assigned to 4CC. Unless there was a change not registered yet, the 4CC roster still lists Mura.

Last edited:

ForeverFish

Medalist
Well, color me embarrassed. My eyes skimmed right down Mura's name to Kozuka's (he's the first alternate).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The competition is in Japan and there are four Asian judges (CHN, JPN, TPE, KOR). I don't expect to see more than one non-Asian skater on the Men's and Ladies podiums.

MEN
1. Hanyu or Takahashi
2. Takahashi or Hanyu
3. Aaron
4. Han Yan
5. Miner
6. Mura

LADIES
1. Mao
2. Gao
3. Li
4. Gold
5. Murakami
6. Osmond

PAIRS
1. Duhamel/Radford
2. Moore-Towers/Moscovitch
3. Castelli/Shnapir
4. Scimeca/Knierim
5. Peng/Zhang
6. Lawrence/Swiegers

DANCE
1. Davis/White
2. Virtue/Moir
3. Shibutanis
4. Chock/Bates
5. Gilles/Poirier
6. Reeds

wallylutz

Medalist
In the last 6 years, three 4CCs took place in Asia: 2008, 2010, 2011. In the Ladies event, of the 9 medalists, 6 were Asian and 2 were of Asian descent. Draw your own conclusions.

:rolleye:

In the last 3 World Championships, 5 of the 9 medalists in the ladies event are from Asia, no just Asian descent. All 3 events were held in Europe. What conclusions am I supposed to draw?

Any suggestion of link between the judges' nationality and the results just because they are from Asia is beyond absurd. The fact is since 2006, Asian women have pretty much dominated this sport with very few exceptions. It has been said the Japanese Nationals is more challenging than the European Championships in ladies as far as making the podium is concerned.

The nationality of the judges in single skating really doesn't matter that much, it's not like they can still vote with their ordinals. With the lack of a very competitive woman from Canada since Rochette's retirement and the underwhelming & inconsistent American women in the last 3 years, is it really a surprise that the 4CC ladies podium is being dominated mostly by Asian women? Where else are they supposed to come from? Africa or South America?

wallylutz

Medalist
The competition is in Japan and there are four Asian judges (CHN, JPN, TPE, KOR). I don't expect to see more than one non-Asian skater on the Men's and Ladies podiums.

The podium in singles may very well be dominated yet again by Asian countries, namely Japan. Yet, it won't be because there will be 4 Asian judges, that's non-sense but rather because they tend to be the more consistent and well-rounded skaters vs. the like of Gracie Gold whose packaging is very much still a mediocre junior skater / deer in the headlights. Gao is better off pursuing Harvard full time seriously - she never made the podium at U.S. Nationals, it's simply absurd to think she will suddenly be the 1st runner up at 4CC in a competition that is a lot stiffer than the U.S. Nationals. Li of China is pretty much unheard of and unseen this season, yet I am supposed to believe she will be on the podium out of nowhere because she is "Asian". Now you wonder why many posters think you have an anti-Osmond bias, as if we need any more proof of it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
MEN
1. Hanyu
2. Takahashi
3. Miner
4. Mura
5. Reynolds

LADIES
1. Asada
2. Osmond
3. Suzuki
4. Gold
5. Murakami

PAIRS
1. Duhamel/Radford
2. Moore-Towers/Moscovitch
3. Peng/Zhang
4. Castelli/Shnapir
5. Lawrence/Swiegers

DANCE
1. Davis/White
2. Virtue/Moir
3. Chock/Bates
4. Gilles/Poirier
5. Shibutanis

I'm really curious about this point in the season. Many comparison skates, seeing how Osmond stacks up against Mao and a surging Gold. I think Mao will have to bring it against potentially flawless SP skates and hopefully strong freeskates from Gold and Osmond... I'm also really hoping Murakami has fixed her UR's, and guessing Suzuki's disasters last week were just a flash in the pan.

In the men's I think top 2 are certain but 3rd can be a number of guys (I'm not convinced Max Aaron is the real deal quite yet, so I don't have him in the top 5).

Pairs will be critical for D/R and MT/M to convince ISU judges that both are worthy of top 5 finishes at Worlds and even podium contention.

Dance will be interesting to see if V/M can close the gap on D/W, after the GPF, especially after a less-than-ideal FD at Canadians.

Safe to say this is potentially one of the most competitive 4CC in a while!

FTnoona

Final Flight
In the last 6 years, three 4CCs took place in Asia: 2008, 2010, 2011. In the Ladies event, of the 9 medalists, 6 were Asian and 2 were of Asian descent. Draw your own conclusions.

My conclusions would be that these ladies skated the best that night - I know silly me being so naive :rolleye:. Should Rochette have won instead of Mao in '08? Heck that was when Asada was landing 3x3s and 3A in her free and 3x3s in her short. In '10 did Dobbs with her weaker jump content deserved to be on the podium instead of Zhang who attempted a more difficult tech content even with her technique issues? In '11 should Rachael have medalled over Mirai? I can buy the judges preferring the home countries athlete conspiracy, but I just don't buy into this one.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, wallylutz, you obviously have an anti-Gold bias, so of course from your point of view, anyone who doesn't predict Osmond to win every competition has an anti-Osmond bias.

Osmond is quite good but she has only two Senior international competitions on her resume, both with limited fields and both in the early fall. Now if she had had a clean SP and a clean 7-triple FS in both competitions, I might understand the Osmond hype. But she had only 4 clean triples in the Nebelhorn FS and only 3 clean triples in the SC FS. Her SP is consistently good, but her FS is consistently not quite so good.

I have my skepticism about Gold as well. I'd like to see more consistency from her, and better choreography. I'm hoping for a top 10 finish from Gold at Worlds, nothing more. Wisely, that is Osmond's goal for herself.

Incidentally, Gold has already competed against a field of top ladies at 2012 WTT, her first Senior international competition. She finished 5th out of 12 and beat both Leonova and Murakami.

wallylutz

Medalist
Well, wallylutz, you obviously have an anti-Gold bias, so of course from your point of view, anyone who doesn't predict Osmond to win every competition has an anti-Osmond bias.

Not at all, then again hyperbole is never in short supply when you need them.

Osmond is quite good but she has only two Senior international competitions on her resume, both with limited fields and both in the early fall. Now if she had had a clean SP and a clean 7-triple FS in both competitions, I might understand the Osmond hype. But she had only 4 clean triples in the Nebelhorn FS and only 3 clean triples in the SC FS. Her SP is consistently good, but her FS is consistently not quite so good.

Actually, she had 4 clean Triples at SCI FS, let's please try to get the facts right at least : http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpcan2012/gpcan2012_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

Which woman has had flawless FS in every competition since the start of the season? Not Kim, not Asada, nor Kostner and forget about Wagner. Osmond managed once, Kim also once at her Nationals, that's already quite good as it shows they can do it. Everything considered, Osmond is largely regarded as one of the more consistent ladies this season. You said her senior competitions were limited, yet in those supposedly limited fields, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Suzuki and others failed to win. Osmond's track record in her two post GP competitions are quite positive : Total of 18 Triple jumps attempted, all 18 of them landed with only one Triple toe with negative GOE and one Triple Lutz getting a minor edge call. The only other error was a fall on Double Axel, which most agreed was just a fluke that is not worth mentioning. Sure, it's not a 7-triple FS but then a 7-triple FS is becoming so rare these days for ladies that it is pretty much an extinct animal for the most part. More importantly, when people talk about Osmond, it isn't because she is known as a jumper. Do a keyword search, you'll notice people talk about Osmond for her presence / energy, lack of nerves, transitions, maturity, passion and attack, and her consistency. That's what she is known for yet it is almost bizarre you decide to unilateraly define the standard of success solely by the number of Triple jumps completed in a competition - which btw, is not a good way to measure success. For one thing, just because X skater can land 7 triples in competition A doesn't mean she will repeat in competition B. Jumps are such high risk elements that seldom a skater can duplicate an exact same performance, jump-wise, from competition to competition. At the Canadian Nationals, there was also another lady who also completed 7 Triples and 3/3s in the FS, yet she only finished 3rd and no threads about her. It goes to show how flawed it is for you to define success solely by the number of jumps landed in a competition.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker