Record Breaker
Ice Dance:

Gold: Davis/White
Silver: Shib Sibs
Bronze: Virtue/Moir
4th: Chock/Bates
5th: Gilles/Poirier
6th: Reed Sibs

Shibutanis in silver place is obviously going out on a limb, but their programs have come such a long way since the beginning of the season, especially their FD. So part of this is wishful thinking and part of it is thinking they could really pull ahead of V/M if they keep improving incrementally (the stars align just right)

Surprise: Look at Silver

Pairs:
Gold: Duhamel/Radford
Silver: Castelli/Shnapir
Bronze: Cheng/Hao
4th: Scimeca/Knierim
5th: Moore-Towers/Mascovitch
6th: Zhang/Bartholomay

Yup, the Americans get three pairs skaters into the top 6...but easier to do when their are only 8 teams.

Surprise: C/S move up to gold and S/K move up to bronze

Men:
Gold: Takahashi
Silver: Hanyu
Bronze: Minor
4th: Aaron
5th: Ten
6th:Takahito

Takahashi and Hanyu rule this event. Minor gets the best of Aaron at this competition and perhaps is a sign of things to come in Men's US skating

Surprise: Aaron takes silver

Ladies:
Gold: Asada
Silver: Osmond
Bronze: Gao
4th: Gold
5th Murakami
6th: Suzuki

I hate putting Suzuki this low, so if she can regain her early season form, she'll move up to at least 3rd. Besides Suzuki, I think Gold really is the wild card hear. At US Nationals Gold stated (paraphrase) that she could come back from a poor SP to do a flawless FS and put up huge scores. I'm not quite sure that is the lesson to be learned, but will see if, and how, mentally prepared she is for 4CC. If she comes out on fire it'll be an interesting competition for silver and possibly even gold with Asada, Osmond, Gold, and Suzuki eying the top spot.

Surprise: Li Zijun, the Chinese upstart, has taken the last 2 1/2 months to really polish and refine her FS, takes bronze in the process.

I admire your interesting predictions. Even as a major ShibSibs stan, I wouldn't dare make such a prediction. You are very bold in your thoughts. I like it!

venlac

On the Ice
Men
1. hanyu
2. takahashi
3. Aaron
4. nan Song
5. Reynolds

Ladies
1. mao
2. gold
3. akiko
4. kanako
5. gao

deedee1

Record Breaker
Surprise: Li Zijun, the Chinese upstart, has taken the last 2 1/2 months to really polish and refine her FS, takes bronze in the process.

NHK announcer Toriumi-san will be over the moon if this actually happens this weekend! ;) :laugh:

Cherryy

On the Ice

That would be awesome! And it's not unlikely for her to finish in the top 5. Out of the top 6 you mentioned, Li can definitely beat Murakami and Gao, if Osmond, Gold and Suzuki have a bad day (each one due to different reasons) the also can be beaten. Fortunately I doubt all 3 will perform in zamboni style but 1 or 2 - might happen. Plus, Osmond and Gold will be skating under a lot of pressure as the top skaters from their countries at their first 4cc before their first worlds where they are expected to do well while I think Li Zijun is somehow free of that pressure because she's not such a "sensation".

vera01

Final Flight
Ice Dance:

Gold: Davis/White
Silver: Shib Sibs
Bronze: Virtue/Moir
4th: Chock/Bates
5th: Gilles/Poirier
6th: Reed Sibs

Shibutanis in silver place is obviously going out on a limb, but their programs have come such a long way since the beginning of the season, especially their FD. So part of this is wishful thinking and part of it is thinking they could really pull ahead of V/M if they keep improving incrementally (the stars align just right)

Surprise: Look at Silver

Hmm.. V/M had improved their SD, which would earn them a high SD score.

However, if their FD at 4CC is like the one they did at Nationals, S/S might win silver, but only if S/S skates with an almost-perfect SD/FD.

vera01

Final Flight
That would be awesome! And it's not unlikely for her to finish in the top 5. Out of the top 6 you mentioned, Li can definitely beat Murakami and Gao, if Osmond, Gold and Suzuki have a bad day (each one due to different reasons) the also can be beaten. Fortunately I doubt all 3 will perform in zamboni style but 1 or 2 - might happen. Plus, Osmond and Gold will be skating under a lot of pressure as the top skaters from their countries at their first 4cc before their first worlds where they are expected to do well while I think Li Zijun is somehow free of that pressure because she's not such a "sensation".

I found Li Zijun to be a lovely and artistic skater. She might have a hard time competing as a senior skater at first since she has no federation support, but I think she has a talent and might win a medal at 4CC:) I hope she skates well at 4CC!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Hmm.. V/M had improved their SD, which would earn them a high SD score.

However, if their FD at 4CC is like the one they did at Nationals, S/S might win silver, but only if S/S skates with an almost-perfect SD/FD.

S/S just lost to Chock/Bates in their own country. I wouldn't put any money on them beating V/M right now.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Even as a major Shibs fan, I really think it's unrealistic for them to beat V/M. Even at their worst they still have about 10 point cushion on the rest of the field. Even with a complete disaster of a SD at Skate Canada, they still managed to place first ahead of C/L.

However, I do not see C/B as a shoo-in for bronze either. The Shibs lost bronze by 1.7 points. If they did not get their two lift deductions, they would have won silver again.

And G/P? Considering that they're 17.8 points behind the Shibs and 12.8 points behind in the SB's list, it's hard to say if they will bridge that gap at 4CC.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am actually looking forward to see Kexin Zhang of China. Don't forget she was 7th in Worlds last year, right behind Mao, with a great technical scores and poor PCS. Her jumps are bigger than Li, and spins too in my opinion. But since this is her first competition this season, I am not sure what she can produce here.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am actually looking forward to see Kexin Zhang of China. Don't forget she was 7th in Worlds last year, right behind Mao, with a great technical scores and poor PCS. Her jumps are bigger than Li, and spins too in my opinion. But since this is her first competition this season, I am not sure what she can produce here.

I'm looking forward to seeing her as well! Loved her gutsy skates last year!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
It looks like Li is planning 3F+3T and 3Lz in her SP, so she might become a serious medal contender, because she'll be the one with the highest BV in the SP (tied with Gold)

shine

Record Breaker
The score seems a tad high for a FS with 3 clean triples:
115.89 57.28 59.61 7.32 7.25 7.61 7.46 7.61 1.00 3fe+2t, 3ze↓, 2a+3t, 3s, 3f, 3t-so, 2a+2t+2t

Osmond's lutz edge is about as clean as, say, Kim's flip edge. I counted 4 clean triples in your list by the way.

Osmond's scores have been inflated by luck that her competitions were on home ground, Skate Canada and even at Nationals she scored a 200+
It will be interesting how she will be scored against the Japanese she surpassed in 4CC to be held in Japan

though I expect Osmond will be in Top 5 by Worlds or maybe bronze if the top have a splatfest as it will be held in Canada

CompetitionS? She has had exactly one major international competition in her entire senior career--which is less than a season long--that happened to be in Canada. That is enough for you proclaim that her scores are "always being inflated due to hometown advantage"? Your sample size is impossibly small. Do people even use logic these days? And you are seriously going to include Canadian NATIONALS in your argument, where she was competiting against OTHER CANADIANS?

Last edited:

jaylee

Medalist
Osmond's lutz edge is about as clean as, say, Kim's flip edge. I counted 4 clean triples in your list by the way.

Comparing Osmond's lutz edge take-off to Kim's flip take-off is absurd. :slink: Osmond has a flutz and is trying to fix it. Yu-Na does not have an issue with her flip take-off. Really, isn't it possible for someone to support Osmond without taking a swipe at skaters who aren't even at this competition?

That said, I expect, Asada, and two of the following: Osmond, Gold or Murakami to be on the podium for the ladies, in some order.

For the men, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an all-Japanese podium.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I counted 4 clean triples in your list by the way.

3fe+2t, [lip not clean] 3ze↓ [flutz not clean], 2a+3t [3t clean], 3s [3s clean], 3f [3f clean], 3t-so [step out not clean], 2a+2t+2t

Six triples. Three not clean, three clean. Count 'em.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
My predictions

Men
1. Yuzuru Hanyu JPN
2. Daisuke Takahashi JPN
3. Ross Miner USA
4. Max Aaron USA
5. Takahito Mura JPN
6. Kevin Reynolds CAN
7. Yan Han CHN
8. Nan Song CHN
9. Richard Dornbush USA
10. Denis Ten KAZ

Ladies
1. Mao Asada JPN
2. Kaetlyn Osmond CAN
3. Akiko Suzuki JPN
4. Gracie Gold USA
5. Kanako Murakami JPN
6. Zijun Li CHN
7. Christina Gao USA
8. Agnes Zawadzki USA
9. Kexin Zhang CHN
10. Amelie Lacoste CAN

Pairs
1. Meagan Duhamel / Eric Radford CAN
2. Kirsten Moore-Towers / Dylan Moscovitch CAN
3. Marissa Castelli / Simon Shnapir USA
4. Cheng Peng / Hao Zhang CHN
5. Alexa Scimeca / Chris Knierim USA
6. Paige Lawrence / Rudi Swiegers CAN
7. Felicia Zhang / Nathan Bartholomay USA
8. Wenting Wang / Yan Zhang CHN

Ice Dance
1. Meryl Davis / Charlie White USA
2. Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir CAN
3. Maia Shibutani / Alex Shibutani USA
4. Madison Chock / Evan Bates USA
5. Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier CAN
6. Nicole Orford / Thomas Williams CAN
7. Cathy Reed / Chris Reed JPN

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Nothing would make me happier than Kirsten and Dylan winning the gold! I agree with these pairs predictions.

Nothing against D/R but I personally prefer M-T/M skating and I think they have the talent to win here. They were great at their Nationals and IMO will
be breathing down D/R's neck for this title.