4CCs Predictions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

4CCs Predictions

wallylutz

Medalist
To be fair, I can't think of any skater who has had a flawless skate in every competition of the season, in any freeskating discipline this year. But of the ones you mentioned, Wagner had a flawless TEB discounting the flutz (http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpfra2012/gpfra2012_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf). Just sayin'. :p

Thank you for pointing this out as it illustrates my point exactly. What Wagner showed is that she is not consistent. While it's almost impossible to be clean in every single FS, a consistent skater shouldn't go from clean skate to just landing 2 clean Triples in a subsequent competition. chuckm suggested given that Osmond did not deliver clean free in all her outings this year, therefore, he shouldn't be impressed with her consistency. But know that as a whole, Osmond's FS has been fairly consistent in that she will have mistakes but they remain at a respectable level despite the mistakes, as opposed to bombing like Wagner already did twice this year - once at GPF and then at U.S. Nationals.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Men
Hanyu and Takahashi are the obvious 1-2s, though I wouldn't wager to guess on the order. Worlds 2012, Takahashi beat Hanyu. NHK 2012, Hanyu beat Takahashi. GPF 2012/13, Takahashi beat Hanyu. Nationals 2012/13, Hanyu beat Takahashi. Hanyu has a better LP record in head to heads, but Takahashi is a madman on a mission. Part of me wants to analogize Takahashi and Hanyu to Nadal and Federer at the US Open 2010. Djokovic was improving, but no one was beating Nadal that year. Of course, Djokovic eventually overtook Nadal and has reigned supreme (as we all expect Hanyu to do soon), but this year, at this competition.... Takahashi. Hey, I did guess.

Bronze is a much tougher, much more interesting battle. Mura's more than able to post good numbers, Miner's done well in Japan, Reynolds will have his share of support, as will Aaron. Anyone's game. Further down, it'll be worthwhile to see if Song (capable of two quads and two 2As) makes up any ground from a disappointing year; who wins between Balde and Rogozine. When did Lam start skating for Hong Kong (he was at Canadian Nationals in 2011).

Darkhorse? Han Yan. Disappointing fall, but really watch out for this one.

Ladies
Asada will win.

It'll be interesting to see Suzuki and Osmond go head-to-head again, though. If the GPF is any indication, they'll be going for the exact same content. Triple toe, triple toe combination, solo flip, double axel. So it comes down to GOEs, spin and step levels, and of course - PCS. That said, I'm so not looking forward to the Osmond-hate-brigade, but I am definitely curious who wins here. Also curious about Gold - her base value will probably be the highest of all the competitors. Hope Kanako has a great skate - her LP is amazing. Hope that Kexin Zhang skates well as well - she's got some raw power and I missed her on the GP circuit. Hope Zijun Li skates well.

Pairs
1. D/R
2. Mt/M
3. Peng/Zhang - base value will do it here.

Not much to say though. Disappointing competition.

Dance
1. D/W
2. V/M
3. Don't know - C/B or the Shibs.

The gap between D/W and V/M will be quite telling for Worlds and if D/W will cruise to a title.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, she [Osmond] had 4 clean Triples at SCI FS, let's please try to get the facts right at least : http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpcan2012/gpcan2012_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

Look again.
She got edge calls on the 3f in combination (-0.20) and the 3z, which she fell on (-2.10).
She stepped out of the 3t (-1.30)

She only attempted 6 triples and got -GOE on three of them.
The clean triples were the 3t in combination with 2a, the 3s and the second 3f.

Which woman has had flawless FS in every competition since the start of the season? Not Kim, not Asada, nor Kostner and forget about Wagner. Osmond managed once, Kim also once at her Nationals, that's already quite good as it shows they can do it. Everything considered, Osmond is largely regarded as one of the more consistent ladies this season. You said her senior competitions were limited, yet in those supposedly limited fields, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Suzuki and others failed to win. Osmond's track record in her two post GP competitions are quite positive : Total of 18 Triple jumps attempted, all 18 of them landed with only one Triple toe with negative GOE and one Triple Lutz getting a minor edge call. The only other error was a fall on Double Axel, which most agreed was just a fluke that is not worth mentioning.

Sorry again, but I was talking about INTERNATIONAL competition. National competitions are unreliable, because many times domestic tech teams ignore edge calls and URs and judges award high GOE for imperfect elements that would get -GOE from ISU judges, and PCS scores are stratospheric. That goes for ALL Nationals across the board. Osmond can skate cleaner (she is a flutzer and can never skate completely clean) at Nationals or Challenge because she doesn't really have any competition at home.

It's unusual for skaters to skate clean at all competitions all season. Skaters have put in clean comps at least once during the season. Top ranked skaters like Kostner don't have to be squeaky clean because her artistry yields very, very high PCS scores. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva skated a clean FS with 7 triples at Euros---she doesn't flutz or lip---and she still finished behind Kostner.

To contend with top skaters at Worlds, a newbie like Osmond or Gold has to skate a clean FS. But neither lady has managed to do that internationally. That's why I don't think either one has a chance of medaling at Worlds 2013.

Maybe Osmond beat Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva and Suzuki on home ice, but just because she beat them in October doesn't mean she can beat them in March. Those three ladies are very experienced skaters who know peaking early on is not the best strategy. Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva showed their mettle at Euros and they will be tough competition at Worlds.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for pointing this out as it illustrates my point exactly. What Wagner showed is that she is not consistent. While it's almost impossible to be clean in every single FS, a consistent skater shouldn't go from clean skate to just landing 2 clean Triples in a subsequent competition. chuckm suggested given that Osmond did not deliver clean free in all her outings this year, therefore, he shouldn't be impressed with her consistency. But know that as a whole, Osmond's FS has been fairly consistent in that she will have mistakes but they remain at a respectable level despite the mistakes, as opposed to bombing like Wagner already did twice this year - once at GPF and then at U.S. Nationals.

Ashley BOMBED the GPF? She WON THE GPF SILVER MEDAL. And she won US Nationals as well. That's pretty respectable.

The only mistake Ashley made in her two GP gold medal performances was a flutz.
Osmond fell at both Nebelhorn and SC. If a fall at every international is consistency, then I guess Osmond is consistent, but not in a positive way.

Last edited:
I think Gold and Suzuki will bomb.

1. Osmond
2. Asada
3. Murakami

1. Hanyu
2. Takahashi
3. Aaron

1. Duhamel/Radford
2. Moore-Towers/Moscovitch
3. Peng/Zhang

1. Davis/White
2. Virtue/Moir
3. Chock/Bates

The competition is in Japan and there are four Asian judges (CHN, JPN, TPE, KOR). I don't expect to see more than one non-Asian skater on the Men's and Ladies podiums.

Why would Chinese, Taiwanese and Korean judges favour Japanese skaters? That doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

NMURA

Medalist
I think Gold and Suzuki will bomb.
Why would Chinese, Taiwanese and Korean judges favour Japanese skaters? That doesn't make any sense.

Because they have some kind of "Asian solidarity" on non-political matters. Japanese and Korean judges always support Chinese pairs. Chinese media like to praise Japanese (or Korean) athletes as "Asia's prides." I remember the cases of Naoko Takahashi (women's marathon gold medalist at Sydney Olympics) and Shizuka Arakawa. Asada is apparently THE most popular non-Chinese skater in China. There is one "Mao Asada board" in China's popular BBS site. Taiwan is always the most friendly country for Japan. If you find a Taiwanese judge in the panel, you can assume he is the agent of Japan. Korean judges usually favor Asada when their "star" is not participating.

Osmond is considered to be a threat to some countries. If she "wins" this one, she could be seen as a serious contender at worlds. Probably three of the panel will try to hold her down. Even if she skated like at Canadian nats, the score would be at least 20 points lower.

Last edited:

Reginald

Match Penalty
Four Continents Championships has a history of being a redemption championship for the US Ladies.

In 2009, Caroline Zhang placed 3rd at the US Championships and was left off the world team (some thought unfairly).

At the 2009, Four Continents Championships, she finished ahead of the US two skaters that were going to worlds (Alissa Czisny and Rachel Flatt).

In 2011, Mirai Nagasu placed 3rd at the US Championships and was left off the world team (some thought unfairly).

At the 2011, Four Continents Championships, she finished ahead of the US two skaters that were going to worlds (Alissa Czisny and Rachel Flatt).

So this year, I expect Christina Gao to place ahead of the other two American Ladies.

1. Mao Asada
2. Akiko Suzuki
3. Christina Gao
4. Gracie Gold
5. Kaetlyn Osmond
6. Kanako Murakami
7. Kexin Zhang

Hey look! Melissa Bulanhagui is back!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
1. Osmond
2. Asada
3. Murakami
THIS would be a scandal!!
I think it will be this:
1) Asada (no way for her to lose this in Japan, I hope she'll skate well, but she'll win even if she makes mistakes)
2) Gold (I think that her result at Nationals gave her confidence, if she nails her SP she's on the podium)
3) Suzuki (I SO hope that she skates well, especially her FS, it looks like she really needs to be happy!)
4) Osmond (she can have an edge over Gao and Zawadzki in the PCS unless she bombs)
I hope that Murakami will skate well, though (I love her FS, too), and that Zijun Li receives good scores...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
4CC will be a return to the inflated score Osmond got
this time though it wont be on her favor,

ForeverFish

Medalist
I think it will be this:
1) Asada (no way for her to lose this in Japan, I hope she'll skate well, but she'll win even if she makes mistakes)
2) Gold (I think that her result at Nationals gave her confidence, if she nails her SP she's on the podium)
3) Suzuki (I SO hope that she skates well, especially her FS, it looks like she really needs to be happy!)
4) Osmond (she can have an edge over Gao and Zawadzki in the PCS unless she bombs)
I hope that Murakami will skate well, though (I love her FS, too), and that Zijun Li receives good scores...

Well, in that case, I doubt that a clean or mostly clean Suzuki would lose to Gold.

Why? Osmond has been skating fantastically well all season and she doesn't have problems with underrotations.

I suspect Asada will cheat a number of jumps, leaving the door open for Osmond.

Would there be any particular reason?

Look at how Suzuki skated at the recent national competition. She's in very poor shape at the moment.

Gold hasn't been very consistent this season and I think the pressure might get to her. Although maybe Worlds will be the event where she'll struggle. 4CC is not that high profile.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Why? Osmond has been skating fantastically well all season and she doesn't have problems with underrotations.

I suspect Asada will cheat a number of jumps, leaving the door open for Osmond.

Look at how Suzuki skated at the recent national competition. She's in very poor shape at the moment.

Gold hasn't been very consistent this season and I think the pressure might get to her. Although maybe Worlds will be the event where she'll struggle. 4CC is not that high profile.

On home ice and with her skill level, Asada has a massive upper hand over Osmond. I'm sorry, but I just don't see a first-year senior, regardless of her talent, taking gold at her first major international competition. Ninety-five percent of the ladies have years of experience that Osmond lacks, and her strongest showings this season have been on comfortable home ice in front of an appreciative, supportive audience.

The same goes for Gold, though I'd rather not expect her to struggle at all. After her Nationals FS, she should have gained some insight into the mindset she needs to be in to skate clean.

Last edited:

figuristka

Medalist
Men

1 Hanyu
3 Takahashi
3 Kevin Reynolds

Ladies
1 Asada
2 Suzuki
3 Kanako MURAKAMI
but Osmond or Gold have a chance to overtake if Murakami has mistakes.

Pairs
1 Duhamel/Radford
2 MOORE-TOWERS / MOSCOVITCH
3 LAWRENCE / SWIEGERS or Jones/Beharry but they are Sub
Canadian sweep

Dance
1 D/W
2 V/M
3 SHIBUTANI's
D/W are popular in Japan i believe and V/M need more time to fix lifts.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
figuristja, Lawrence/Sweigers are competing, not Jones/Beharry. A Canadian sweep is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

shine

Record Breaker
4CC will be a return to the inflated score Osmond got
this time though it wont be on her favor,

Exactly what freaking inflated scores has Osmond been getting INTERNALLY that's as outrageous as people like you are making it out to be??

Osmond hasn't been getting any inflated scores. She's been skating extremely well and deservedly winning. That's all there is to it.

Not like there's any weak points to her skating other than her posture, which only counts for a fraction of the PE mark (that she otherwise checks most of the boxes for).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Exactly what freaking inflated scores has Osmond been getting INTERNALLY that's as outrageous as people like you are making it out to be??

Osmond's scores have been inflated by luck that her competitions were on home ground, Skate Canada and even at Nationals she scored a 200+
It will be interesting how she will be scored against the Japanese she surpassed in 4CC to be held in Japan

though I expect Osmond will be in Top 5 by Worlds or maybe bronze if the top have a splatfest as it will be held in Canada

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Worlds in Canada won't guarantee a top 5 placement for Osmond. She won at SC because it was very early in the season and most of the other ladies underperformed. The top ladies will be bringing their A game in March.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Men

1 Dai
2 Hanyu
3 Ross

Ladies

1 Mao
2 Kanako
3 Osmond

Pairs