Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bolero by..........

Yes, for me T&D is still the best Bolero ever (not my favourite ice dance program ever, but the best Bolero), Carolina is now in second place and I would put Adelina in third: there's something about awakard about Plushenko's program (maybe it's just the costume)...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I wouldn't touch it, and not just because it's T&D's signature number.

For one thing, if I were a skater, I'd want my best ever program (which of course would be whatever the current season was) to be competing only with the people at the competitions I was skating at, and not with some iconic program for the ages.

I'd want people when they heard my music, to remember me, and me only, not T&D or whomever.

In a gala, maybe, just so that I could demonstrate I could skate to it; as a competitive program? no. Particularly not in dance.
    True... but at the same time V/M and D/W are so above every other team that virtually their only competition is each other. If I were a competitor at that level, I imagine I'd be hungry for a greater challenge and this would be it for me.

1. T/D
    2. Plush
    3. Kokhlova/ Novitsky

Custom Title
    T/D are miles above all others in their Bolero program. I haven't seen some of the others, but I actually thought Plushenko's Bolero was one of his better SPs (save for the hip thrusts in the footwork), and really suited his style.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    T/D are miles above all others in their Bolero program. I haven't seen some of the others, but I actually thought Plushenko's Bolero was one of his better SPs (save for the hip thrusts in the footwork), and really suited his style.
    I hope you get to see Carolina's Bolero live at worlds and you will see her performance. She built up the performance in an amazing way. Brian Orser said that he would have giver her higher pics than what she got and that none of the ladies can do this program justice like Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    You should compile a list for "Carmen". I'm sure that would keep you busy!
    Scheherazade and Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto also come to mind. Then Aranjuez, Phantom and Firebird...

When it comes to Bolero, Miki Ando had an exhibition to it in 2009, Sarah Meier a LP in 2006, Alexei Urmanov SP in 1992.

Custom Title
    Urmanov's SP bolero at the Olympics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUWHksLVLTw

Custom Title
    I agree, Doris. Also, for my taste, it's not that interesting as music. Until that chord change waaaay near the end, it just repeats the same phrase. I love what some of the skaters have done with it, but the music itself leaves me cool. I wish ice dancers would try their hands (or skates) at a suitably shortened segment from the balcony scene of Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet (Annissina and Piezerat used an arrangement from the ballet but not that particular music) or an edit from the orchestral arrangement of the Liebestod (love-death) from Wagner's Tristan and Isolde.

the Prokofiev balcony scene
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtBRN5BXt6o

the Liebestod
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7OFiJCv9SU

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I agree, Doris. Also, for my taste, it's not that interesting as music. Until that chord change waaaay near the end, it just repeats the same phrase. I love what some of the skaters have done with it, but the music itself leaves me cool. I wish ice dancers would try their hands (or skates) at a suitably shortened segment from the balcony scene of Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet (Annissina and Piezerat used an arrangement from the ballet but not that particular music) or an edit from the orchestral arrangement of the Liebestod (love-death) from Wagner's Tristan and Isolde.

the Prokofiev balcony scene
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtBRN5BXt6o

the Liebestod
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7OFiJCv9SU
    I think we have the same musical taste!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    I think we have the same musical taste!
    I hope there are more of us out there...now, how do we alert Zoueva, Tarasova, and Nichol?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2