Bolero by.......... | Golden Skate

Bolero by..........

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I actually liked Michelle's "Bolero" program when she performed it earlier in the 2004-2005 season at 2004 Campbells. :) In fact, it was choreographed by Christopher Dean which I thought was kinda cool--didn't like it as much after she Morozov'd(?) it for Nationals and Worlds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdM6yxjYli0

I like Carolina's "Bolero". She's seems to be moving differently than she normally does and it's a departure from the other Boleros. I guess she can do it with an Italian flair? Haha. I don't know. It just feels like Lori Nichol decided to explode and Carolina reaped the benefits of it. Doesn't seem like there's any recycled choreography anywhere--kind of like the old Lori Nichol we came to love when she was choreographing Michelle's programs.

You should compile a list for "Carmen". I'm sure that would keep you busy! :laugh:

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist
At the 2006 olympics, Chait/Sakhnovski skated to bolero and Savchenko/Szolkowy are skating to it this year.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Todd also skated to Bolero in SOI (circa 2006) as a tribute to Torvill & Dean (for that matter, Chris may have done some of the choreography for the program as I *think* he was still involved with SOI back then).

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I like Sotnikova's bolero from Rus nats)
But Costner just amazed me..Her Bolero is so fluid!

snejina

Rinkside
No.1 is Torvil and Dean's Bolero
2. Carolina's Bolero
3. Plushenko's Bolero
4. Sotnikova's Bolero

Bentley

Rinkside
Wow! Carolina was really on. Great music for her skating style and her jumps were huge and secure. I believe this was the best I have seen her skate and she is going to be tough to beat in the World Champions.
My favorite Bolero is still Torvil and Dean. There was something magical about their skate in the 1984 Olympics.

IndieBoi

On the Ice
OT but I've always wondered how the top dance teams (V/M or D/W) would do if they took on Bolero. I think the key is having a very strong personality they'd really make the music their own.

Or maybe they shouldn't even touch it with the ten-foot pole...?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I wouldn't touch it, and not just because it's T&D's signature number.

For one thing, if I were a skater, I'd want my best ever program (which of course would be whatever the current season was) to be competing only with the people at the competitions I was skating at, and not with some iconic program for the ages.

I'd want people when they heard my music, to remember me, and me only, not T&D or whomever.

In a gala, maybe, just so that I could demonstrate I could skate to it; as a competitive program? no. Particularly not in dance.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Yes, for me T&D is still the best Bolero ever (not my favourite ice dance program ever, but the best Bolero), Carolina is now in second place and I would put Adelina in third: there's something about awakard about Plushenko's program (maybe it's just the costume)...

IndieBoi

On the Ice
I wouldn't touch it, and not just because it's T&D's signature number.

For one thing, if I were a skater, I'd want my best ever program (which of course would be whatever the current season was) to be competing only with the people at the competitions I was skating at, and not with some iconic program for the ages.

I'd want people when they heard my music, to remember me, and me only, not T&D or whomever.

In a gala, maybe, just so that I could demonstrate I could skate to it; as a competitive program? no. Particularly not in dance.

True... but at the same time V/M and D/W are so above every other team that virtually their only competition is each other. If I were a competitor at that level, I imagine I'd be hungry for a greater challenge and this would be it for me.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
T/D are miles above all others in their Bolero program. I haven't seen some of the others, but I actually thought Plushenko's Bolero was one of his better SPs (save for the hip thrusts in the footwork), and really suited his style.

npavel

On the Ice
T/D are miles above all others in their Bolero program. I haven't seen some of the others, but I actually thought Plushenko's Bolero was one of his better SPs (save for the hip thrusts in the footwork), and really suited his style.

I hope you get to see Carolina's Bolero live at worlds and you will see her performance. She built up the performance in an amazing way. Brian Orser said that he would have giver her higher pics than what she got and that none of the ladies can do this program justice like Carolina