New TV Show "Ice Moms" | Golden Skate

New TV Show "Ice Moms"

flying camel

Medalist
Well it sounds interesting. I will check it out when it comes on. I just hope they that have some top athletes.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I believe participation was forbidden by the USFSA, and eligibility revoked for skaters who went on the show.

With that said, I have also heard that the skaters on the show, while touted as "Olympic hopefuls", are anything but - mid-level ISI skaters well behind where they should be at their ages for Olympic dreams, mid-teens skaters working on their single Axels, etc.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I've watched this and it is everything I hate about skating. Mom's want it more than the kids; coaches bickering and back-stabbing; parents, coaches and teammates bribing and cajoling the kids. Run VERY FAR from this show - it just disgusts me. I actually felt ashamed of my participation in the sport after watching it. Skating has enough problems without this show helping it along.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
It'll be a train wreck...but combining two of my favorite things (ice skating and drama!!) will make it hard for me to stay away. It depends on how decent the skaters are. The reason Dance Moms is interesting is b/c it follows a competitive team that is actually competitive. If they never won anything it'd be boring to watch.

I'll give Ice Moms a chance and see what comes of it...I know it will be madness though...

I've watched this and it is everything I hate about skating. Mom's want it more than the kids; coaches bickering and back-stabbing; parents, coaches and teammates bribing and cajoling the kids. Run VERY FAR from this show - it just disgusts me. I actually felt ashamed of my participation in the sport after watching it. Skating has enough problems without this show helping it along.

That's what I was afraid of. I loathe the catfights among the women on Dance Moms. I know that women as a gender aren't holier than men, but to encourage this behavior and publicize it is as repellent to me as wrestling shows featuring men are.

Interesting that the skaters on the ice moms show will not be competitive with real skaters. I'm glad the USFSA wants no part of this.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I won't be watching Ice Moms. Watching Dance Moms is far more appalling than Toddlers & Tiaras, primarily because the dance coach is the kind of coach I wouldn't let near any child I cared about. She pits the girls against each other constantly, threatens to dump them from the competitive team, and she yells and screams at the girls and their mothers. I expect a lurid tell-all book by some of these kids when they grow up.

The mothers are just as bad as the coach, and they all suck up to her, hoping to advance their daughter's position within the troop. Backstabbing doesn't begin to describe it. UGGG.

samson

Medalist
Hold on. That article was published almost a year ago. Could they be talking about that Jersey Ice show? I know this definitely won't be the case, but could you imagine if you turned on the TV and there was Pam Gregory or something?

Which coach would you guys find most terrifying/funny to see on a show like Dance Moms with a weekly pyramid displaying which skater is the coaches favorite that week and every competition someone like Lori Nichol comes in and makes a new sp and lp for them.