Thread: I feel sorry for Caroline Zhang

Hybrid View

Custom Title

I feel sorry for Caroline Zhang

caroline got cheated out of at least 6 points in the short.
    at least 3 points in the long.

she can skate as clean as she like, well as she likes, not get the scores she deserves or earns.

i can think of one good reason. 1) didn't want her up there-starting why back,
    2) complaining her going back to worlds.
    3) complaining shouldn't been up in gp when 13, when she was assigned without asking by the usfsa.\
    4) the yearly overlooking of ur/downgrades of other skaters, and her continuing hawk like looking at her jumps.

why only the federation, u.s ogm medalist knows-why keep asking them. why cheated for.

hasn't figure skating learned anything regarding the lance armstrong mess about continual cheating, and lying especially to public.
    wonder why fans don't want to come back.

Custom Title
    She has made no improvements in rotating her jumps in the last year, and it has been a persistent problem. I feel bad that the jumps don't come to her as easily now as they did when she was younger, but I think her scores are accurate.

Custom Title
    After Caroline's short program scores came up, I heard lots of boo's from the audience.
    And after her freeskate, the audience rose to their feet and applauded.

Somebody needs to tell those people about her rotations.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    A lot of skaters have this problem and I don't know why. If you look at skaters 20 years ago hardly anyone underrotated their jumps. Now that it's penalized you see so much of it; it makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    A lot of skaters have this problem and I don't know why. If you look at skaters 20 years ago hardly anyone underrotated their jumps. Now that it's penalized you see so much of it; it makes no sense.
    I don't know about that. 20 years ago no-one paid close attention to whether jumps were complete;y rotated or not. It took a really bad effort for the commentators to call a jump "cheated on the landing."

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I don't know about that. 20 years ago no-one paid close attention to whether jumps were complete;y rotated or not. It took a really bad effort for the commentators to call a jump "cheated on the landing."
    unless they were ladies that Dick didn't like, then that's all we ever heard about.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    After Caroline's short program scores came up, I heard lots of boo's from the audience.
    And after her freeskate, the audience rose to their feet and applauded.

Check out the thread for the ladies SP in the US Nationals section. Starting on page 29, there are numerous GS posters who watched and rewached some of the UR and downgraded jumps and don't agree with the ruling. Many felt there should have been one UR, not multiple Ur's and a downgrade. I have heard that some of the judges for the SP programs disagreed with the tech controller on these calls, but the controllers decision stood.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    caroline got cheated out of at least 6 points in the short.
    Nope. Watch the SP combination frame-by-frame. Both jumps were very clearly under-rotated and definitely deserved < and <<.

As Dragonlady and others pointed out, she doesn't get enough speed into the jumps, the timing isn't strong enough on the take-off and she gets quite poor height and ice coverage so there just isn't enough time for her to complete the full revolutions.

She would have to really rework her skating skills and basic technique in order to become competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    If you look at skaters 20 years ago hardly anyone underrotated their jumps. Now that it's penalized you see so much of it; it makes no sense.
    They did. It's just that the judges didn't care about that (and didn't have the technological assistance to spot it).

Even without any slo-mo, you could see that at 1998 Olympics Lu Chen landed 3toe/3toe forwards, Lipinski landed 3toe...3salchow far short as well and Hughes' triple/triple combos at 2002 Olympics were cheated also. Miki Ando's 4salchow was way short of full four revolutions and I htink it's an outraged she'd credited as the first (and only) lady to land a quad. :/ Those are just off the top of my head but you could surely find many more examples if you looked into it.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 02-03-2013 at 07:01 PM.