5 Quads for Max Aaron? | Golden Skate

5 Quads for Max Aaron?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Impressive goal! I wish he would work on his presentation skills during the off-season. I would hate to see him be confused as to why his PCS might be so low if he didn't next season.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
His coach is Tom Zakrajsek, who apparently sees no value in working on presentation skills. IMO, Max needs to dump Tom Z for Christy Krall.

heyhey

On the Ice
I agree - chuckm. As a side note: Max I hope you have a great physical therapist...

I know that you can't really stop the technical progression but things like this make me really worried.

Competitive athletes are already putting a huge amount of strain over bodies resulting in being pretty much perma-injured. Once doing 4-5 quads over the course of two programs becomes the norm, it will only get worse. :(

I know that you can't really stop the technical progression but things like this make me really worried.

Competitive athletes are already putting a huge amount of strain over bodies resulting in being pretty much perma-injured. Once doing 4-5 quads over the course of two programs becomes the norm, it will only get worse. :(

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. If guys start doing (and more to the point, constantly practicing) that many quads and that many different quads, their hips are going to shatter into smithereens. I do not feel comfortable watching a generation of disposable skaters.

heyhey

On the Ice
I was thinking pretty much the same thing. If guys start doing (and more to the point, constantly practicing) that many quads and that many different quads, their hips are going to shatter into smithereens. I do not feel comfortable watching a generation of disposable skaters.

Olympia - we don't have to wait that long for an answer - let's see how many male skaters go injury free to Sochi...

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Let's face it, getting 5 quads in a competition is a more realistic goal for Aaron than him improving his artistry. The man knows his strengths and limits. Why waste lipstick on this pig when he can win best in show by oinking louder?

Krislite

Medalist
Let's face it, getting 5 quads in a competition is a more realistic goal for Aaron than him improving his artistry. The man knows his strengths and limits. Why waste lipstick on this pig when he can win best in show by oinking louder?

Ouch! You don't mince your words, do you? Now I wouldn't declare anyone hopelessly inartistic--even Aaron. :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
His coach is Tom Zakrajsek, who apparently sees no value in working on presentation skills. IMO, Max needs to dump Tom Z for Christy Krall.

Look what happened to Joshua Farris when he did! (Although I am also inclined to attribute a good portion of that to Damon Allen.) He became such a lovely, expressive, artistic skater, and he didn't lose anything technically.

FREE MAX AARON!

Before he gets hurt, preferably...

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

My, that's a harsh thing to say!

centerpt1

On the Ice
I hope Tom Z has stopped over-training his athletes at the end of the season...they are either injured (Rachael) or out of steam (Brandon, Jeremy) when Worlds comes around. Max is young, though so maybe he'll be OK. (IF he can avoid the standard Tom Z disabling back injury)

FREE MAX

Ouch! You don't mince your words, do you? Now I wouldn't declare anyone hopelessly inartistic--even Aaron. :laugh:

If anybody is in doubt of that, watch Kostner's first Europeans performances from 2003. Her basic skating was lacking, she was totally deaf to the music, had terrible lines and really wooden movements. I wouldn't imagine in a million years that she'd become the stunningly beautiful skater she is today.

Icey

Record Breaker
At some international events (junior worlds 2011 for example) his pcs scores have been on par with those of Jason Brown, who seems to be thought of as "artistic". In the short program there, his pcs score was slightly higher than Jason's. In the long, slightly lower.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
At some international events (junior worlds 2011 for example) his pcs scores have been on par with those of Jason Brown, who seems to be thought of as "artistic". In the short program there, his pcs score was slightly higher than Jason's. In the long, slightly lower.

Oh I know, the judging at that competition was atrocious. Andrei Rogozine, with the posture and urgency of a sedated slug, got the highest PCS in the FS at 2011 Junior Worlds, and won the whole thing, somehow. Those judges were deranged.

Jason Brown isn't just 'though of as "artistic"'. Jason Brown as one of the most complex, best choreographed programs in figure skating that he presents beautifully and skates to the music. And his basics are good.

But if you land your jumps, PCS follow suit. So expect 7s for Aaron at Worlds I guess...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Max didn't get high PCS scores from the USFS judges in the SP, where he landed 4S+3t, 3z, 3a: 7.04 5.93 6.96 6.75 6.96. SS yes, everything else, no. IMO Max would probably get a similar SP score (79) from ISU judges.

In the FS, he landed 4s+2t, 4s, 3a+2t, 3z, 3a, 3t+1lo+3s, 3fe, 3lo and his PCS scores were 8.07 7.25 8.39 7.96 8.07. So his US FS score (175.45) is somewhat inflated. But 170-171 might be a realistic ISU score for his FS performance.

That would be a total score of about 250, which would have placed Max 4th at 2012 Worlds.

There is a chance that Max and Ross can get 3 spots back for Sochi. Ross was 11th at 2011 Worlds, but that was before he had a quad; he scored over 230 at NHK. Scores of 250/230 at 2012 Worlds would be 4th/7th. There IS hope!