Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Worlds best guesses for podiums?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    ^^^^That would be what I hope for them. Maybe to try their throw 4S out in public, and land it, too! as well.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    My best guesses:

Men
    1. Hanyu
    2. Fernandez
    3. Chan

Well that's more of a wish list than a best guess list I guess but given Chan's form this season, it's very possible.

Aaron has been very consistent this season and I wish him a top 10 finish, ensuring two spots in the Olympics for the US but I will cry if he medals.

Ladies
    1. Kim
    2. Kostner
    3. Tuktamysheva

Again a bit of a wish list here. But given how many jumps Asada has been underrotating this season, it's possible she will be outside of the medals. Tuktamysheva will have to skate really well for the bronze, she's capable of that.

Asada and Sotnikova can definitely contend for the bronze as well. I think Gold is out of the equation due to consistency issues.

Pairs

1. Volosozhar/Trankov
    2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
    3. Duhamel/Radford

I would love S/S to win but the judges seem so enamoured with V/T, there's very little chance of that happening. Duhamel/Arnold is a big wish. If they land 3lutzes in both programs, they can do it (that is a big if, though I guess).

Ice Dance

1. Davis/White (unstoppable)
    2. Virtue/Moir
    BIG GAP
    3. Pechalat/Bourzat (I hope but it will be really hard for them given injury and Russian teams' momentum)

Realistically Bobrova/Soloviev and Ilynikh/Katsalapov are both capable of beating P/B, I hate to say.

Quote Originally Posted by kzarah View Post
    Well I have been a member of this forum before it was even called The Golden Skate Forum. I have not been so bold as to make this statement. However, I am going to say that in my expert opinion and I do know what I am talking about. Gracie Gold is the next ladies Gold medal winner. I would work on the spins and if possible turn the triple lutz tripple toe into Triple Lutz, Triple Loop, Triple Loops. I think the spins expecially Beilman needs faster and more rotations.
    She hasn't had a single good competition (both programs skated very well) all season.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 02-04-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    My best guesses:

Men
    1. Hanyu
    2. Orser
    3. Chan

Well that's more of a wish list than a best guess list I guess but given Chan's form this season, it's very possible.
    .... I dunno - I think Chan can beat someone who hasn't skated as an amateur since the 80s.

Agree with the top two for Ladies/Pairs and Dance. I think B/L will probably sneak ahead of Duhamel/Radford (seriously dude, you're awesome, but Arnold?). VERY curious who ends up third in dance - that's become a real cluster.

Custom Title
    People calling Fernandez Orser now? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    .... I dunno - I think Chan can beat someone who hasn't skated as an amateur since the 80s.

Agree with the top two for Ladies/Pairs and Dance. I think B/L will probably sneak ahead of Duhamel/Radford (seriously dude, you're awesome, but Arnold?). VERY curious who ends up third in dance - that's become a real cluster.
    :D

Duhamel/Arnold have been doing sbs 3lutzes as well.

I don't think Bazarova/Larionov will medal. They aren't very consistent and injuries held them back this season as well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    ^^^^That would be what I hope for them. Maybe to try their throw 4S out in public, and land it, too! as well.
    That should be a point getter.

Well, I hope so. They were discussing in their US press interview after US Nats whether they would be upgrading throws. Marissa said they would be discussing it with their coaching team. Apparently the quad salchow has been going very well.

The current version of the rules allows a 3S and 4S throw in the same program, BTW, but it's risky, since if the 4S is downgraded, the 2nd of the two throws gets nothing as a sort of Zayak rule issue.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    Scary that some peope don't even have Daisuke in the medals here. It might happen, but would be so heartbreaking. I want him to win. It will be his last World Championship. Horrible thought that he won't even be in the top 3.

I'll put him first, I believe in him.

Men
    1. Takahashi
    2. Chan
    3. Fernandez

Feeling bad about leaving Yuzuru out, but I have a feeling that he might break down. Who knows.

Ladies
    1. Kim
    2. Asada
    3. Kostner

Not that interested in Dance and in pairs I want S/S to win, but I don't think they will and I cannot really say their programs deserve it. Depends on the form on that specific day, too. If they are fit they might just win the World Title. But only if V/T make mistakes.
    Last edited by MaiKatze; 02-05-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Ladies- 1.Kim
    2.Asada
    3.Gold
    4.Kostner
    5.Wagner

Ladies:
    1. Kim
    2. Asadda
    3. Tuktamysheva (if she skates a clean SP)
    3. Wagner (if Liza screws up the SP)

The current version of the rules allows a 3S and 4S throw in the same program, BTW, but it's risky, since if the 4S is downgraded, the 2nd of the two throws gets nothing as a sort of Zayak rule issue.
    Actually 4S< and 4S<< are considered different jumps than 3S.

So a skater can safely attempt a quad toe and even if it gets downgraded, he can still doe a triple toe later on and it won't count as repeating the jump.

That's why < was introduced in the first place. IIRC, Plushenko had a downgrade and then he "repeated" the jump, got zero points and a fuss was raised causing the ISU to change the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    Scary that some peope don't even have Daisuke in the medals here. It might happen, but would be so heartbreaking. I want him to win. It will be his last World Championship. Horrible thought that he won't even be in the top 3.
    He's not in a very good shape this season.

I would really love to see him win but I am afraid that he'll finish outside of the top 3. :(

Yes, I know it was fixed in jumps, because they just took over the rules for singles, but were throw jumps rules fixed?

Yes, I know it was fixed in jumps, because they just took over the rules for singles, but were throw jumps rules fixed?
    It should work the same because th4S<< is a 'different entity' than th3S.

Although having said that, I don't think that anybody has ever attempted the same jump with different number of revolutions in the FS yet so who knows.

Ziggy, that's why I'm confused. I don't think anyone has tried it.

If C&S do it, they should seek advice, I think.

I think their ultimate goal was a 4S throw & and 3A throw, but the 4S has gelled and the 3A hasn't, as much. Meanwhile, they don't do 3Loth or 3Fth or 3Lzth, although I don't see why it's a problem for them, but different teams find different things difficult.

Custom Title
    I'll change my prediction for ladies

1.Yuna:I'm still going to stick with Yuna, for her consistency and her ability to fully rotate all of her jumps
    2.Mao:Although I still prefer her FS over SP, I have to admit that I was impressed by her 4CC SP.
    3.Carolina or Ashley or Akiko:I really hope that Ashley does well at Worlds. But I don't want to leave Carolina out of my prediction list, too, and Akiko is skating better now, so...

4.Carolina or Ashley or Akiko
    5.Ashley or Akiko
    6.Liza T. or Adelina
    7.Liza T. or Adelina
    8.Kanako
    9.Gracie or Kiira
    10.Gracie Kiira:I hope Kiira recovered from her injury and is ready to compete now
    11.Zijun
    12.Valentina or Kaetlyn
    13.Valentina or Kaetlyn
    14.Maybe 3rd lady from Russia?
    Last edited by vera01; 02-11-2013 at 08:16 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast