Worlds best guesses for podiums? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Worlds best guesses for podiums?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, I hope so. They were discussing in their US press interview after US Nats whether they would be upgrading throws. Marissa said they would be discussing it with their coaching team. Apparently the quad salchow has been going very well.

The current version of the rules allows a 3S and 4S throw in the same program, BTW, but it's risky, since if the 4S is downgraded, the 2nd of the two throws gets nothing as a sort of Zayak rule issue.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Scary that some peope don't even have Daisuke in the medals here. It might happen, but would be so heartbreaking. I want him to win. It will be his last World Championship. Horrible thought that he won't even be in the top 3.

I'll put him first, I believe in him.

Men
1. Takahashi
2. Chan
3. Fernandez

Feeling bad about leaving Yuzuru out, but I have a feeling that he might break down. Who knows.

Ladies
1. Kim
2. Asada
3. Kostner

Not that interested in Dance and in pairs I want S/S to win, but I don't think they will and I cannot really say their programs deserve it. Depends on the form on that specific day, too. If they are fit they might just win the World Title. But only if V/T make mistakes.

Last edited:

Slowdive

On the Ice
Ladies:
1. Kim
2. Asadda
3. Tuktamysheva (if she skates a clean SP)
3. Wagner (if Liza screws up the SP)

The current version of the rules allows a 3S and 4S throw in the same program, BTW, but it's risky, since if the 4S is downgraded, the 2nd of the two throws gets nothing as a sort of Zayak rule issue.

Actually 4S< and 4S<< are considered different jumps than 3S.

So a skater can safely attempt a quad toe and even if it gets downgraded, he can still doe a triple toe later on and it won't count as repeating the jump.

That's why < was introduced in the first place. IIRC, Plushenko had a downgrade and then he "repeated" the jump, got zero points and a fuss was raised causing the ISU to change the rules.

Scary that some peope don't even have Daisuke in the medals here. It might happen, but would be so heartbreaking. I want him to win. It will be his last World Championship. Horrible thought that he won't even be in the top 3.

He's not in a very good shape this season.

I would really love to see him win but I am afraid that he'll finish outside of the top 3. :(

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, I know it was fixed in jumps, because they just took over the rules for singles, but were throw jumps rules fixed?

Yes, I know it was fixed in jumps, because they just took over the rules for singles, but were throw jumps rules fixed?

It should work the same because th4S<< is a 'different entity' than th3S.

Although having said that, I don't think that anybody has ever attempted the same jump with different number of revolutions in the FS yet so who knows.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ziggy, that's why I'm confused. I don't think anyone has tried it.

If C&S do it, they should seek advice, I think.

I think their ultimate goal was a 4S throw & and 3A throw, but the 4S has gelled and the 3A hasn't, as much. Meanwhile, they don't do 3Loth or 3Fth or 3Lzth, although I don't see why it's a problem for them, but different teams find different things difficult.

vera01

Final Flight
I'll change my prediction for ladies:)

1.Yuna:I'm still going to stick with Yuna, for her consistency and her ability to fully rotate all of her jumps;)
2.Mao:Although I still prefer her FS over SP, I have to admit that I was impressed by her 4CC SP.
3.Carolina or Ashley or Akiko:I really hope that Ashley does well at Worlds. But I don't want to leave Carolina out of my prediction list, too, and Akiko is skating better now, so...

4.Carolina or Ashley or Akiko
5.Ashley or Akiko
6.Liza T. or Adelina
7.Liza T. or Adelina
8.Kanako
9.Gracie or Kiira
10.Gracie Kiira:I hope Kiira recovered from her injury and is ready to compete now:)
11.Zijun
12.Valentina or Kaetlyn
13.Valentina or Kaetlyn
14.Maybe 3rd lady from Russia?

Last edited:

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Men is going to be hard to predict, as all contenders have shown inconsistencies. Here's some numbers (GP, Nats, senior B, EC/4CC included)

Chan
Min: 243.43 (SC)
Max: 273.75 (Nats)
Average: 259.55

Verdict: Highest average, though nats results pulls it up. No definite trend, perhaps slightly rising.

Takahashi
Min: 222.77 (4CC)
Max: 280.40 (Nats)
Average: 251.17

Verdict: Solid average, but also the most inconsistent. Trend: Rollercoaster, I suppose...

Hanyu
Min: 243.74 (SA)
Max: 285.23 (Nats)
Average: 258.13

Verdict: Good average. Upward trend until 4CC.

Fernandez
Min: 228.78 (Nats)
Max: 274.87 (EC)
Average: 247.37

Verdict. Average lower, but Nats pulls it down and he had no competition there. Otherwise his average is 251.08. Otherwise on the rise.

Reynolds
Min: 192.12 (Ondrej)
Max: 261.26 (Nats)
Average: 224.45

Verdict. Low average, but he started the season slow because of UR's. Very steep rising trend.

Amodio
Min: 214.25 (TEB)
Max: 250.53 (EC)
Average: 228.86

Verdict: Also slow start, but definite on the rise.

Brezina
Min: 201.71 (NT)
Max: 243.52 (EC)
Average: 218.51

Verdict: Slow start, but getting it together now.

sk8inluvah

Spectator
Mens
1. Chan
2. Hanyu
3. Takahashi

Pairs
1. V/T
2. S/S
3. Really an open competition here between B/L, D/R, MT/M, and P/T, because it's in Canada I really think MT/M and D/R have a real shot here. Especially since B/L and P/T haven't skated in a while, may be rusty

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
now after 4CC I can weigh in

Ladies:

1 Kim
2 Kostner
3 Asada

Men

1 Hanyu
2 Fernandez
3 Chan - even his pcs cushion wont be enough

Pairs

1 V/T
2 S/S
3 D/R - locked as Canadians

Ice Dance - locks

1 V/M
2 D/W - would love for them to win but this is impossible to happen
3 P/B

fairly4

Medalist
ladies
yu-na
mao
carolina kostner or elizaveta, adelina, kaetlyn=despite 4cc, akiko

men
chan
fernandez
yuzuru, daisuke or kevin reynolds

pairs
s/s or vt
3 d/r

dance

would like davis/white but probably be virture and moir
davis/white
pechalat/bourzat or the russians bobrova/soliev or ilynkh and katsalpov

flaneur

On the Ice
Men:
1. Chan (surprisingly putting him first is going out on a limb here)
2. Fernandez
3. Hanyu
Spoilers: Takahashi, Mura, Reynolds

Ladies:
1. Kim (i think the mystique of yuna kim will put her on top)
2. Asada
3. Kostner
Spoilers: Wagner, Suzuki, Li Ziqun, Osmond, or one of the Russian girls

Pairs:
1. V/T
2. D/R
3. S/S (i feel that due to injury they are a little off this season)
Spoilers: Mt/M, B/L

Dance:
1. V/M (my head thinks D/W but whatever, going with my heart)
2. D/W
3. B/S (initially picked P/B but after looking at scores with P/B best at gpf only a point ahead of B/S best at euro... and factoring in injury/lost time, i'm going with b/s instead)
Spoilers: P/B, I/K

hurrah

Medalist
Ladies:
For the gold medal, Mao, Yuna and Carolina are neck and neck. It will all come down to who can jump most cleanly on the day, and there are too many unknown factors to even make a guess as to how they'll be scored. Outside hopefuls for bronze are Elizaveta, Adelina, Ashley and Akiko.

Men:
For the gold medal, Javier and Patrick are neck and neck. Outside hopefuls for silver/bronze are Yuzuru and Daisuke.

Dance:
Either V/M or D/W will win gold and the other one will get silver. P/B for bronze.

ForeverFish

Medalist
My updated list:

1. Mao Asada
2. Kim Yuna
3. Carolina Kostner
4. Ashley Wagner
5. Akiko Suzuki
6. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
7. Gracie Gold
8. Kanako Murakami
9. Adelina Sotnikova