Votes: 35 35.4%
  • Don't know!

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • Don't care!

Votes: 18 18.2%

• Total voters

Germanice

On the Ice
At first glance there's no reason for that: Plushenko is a phenomenal skater, immense successful, got numerous 6.0's in technique AND presentation, and even injured he seems (almost!) unbeatable recently (not Sandhu has beaten Plush at the GPF; Plush beat himself!). And if he stays healthy (hopefully!), it looks there's no end right now ...

Why this poll? Is it just me who's liking Plush, the skater, actually more than his programs, who thinks most of his programs are still kinda strange and half-baked, who doesn't know what to do with them, who's sure he's still not up to what he's really capable of presentationwise? And is it just me who thinks Mishin (I know he's not the choreographer; but in fact it doesn't really matter!) is the reason for that? Mishin is a great coach, without any doubt, and Plush owes him a lot, but over the past two years I got more and more the impression he's only a millstone around Plush's neck.

I would love to know your opinions, from what I've heard even many die hard Plush fans are not longer really happy with Mishin and want a change.

Anke

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
Plush should fire Mishin and go to Sandhu to learn what real ballet is if he doesn't want to keep insulting Nijinski, or go to Lambiel to learn how to skate and dance to music like Magic Stradivarius and such.
Plush's presentation is getting old. Always the same old strange hand gestures, and occasional stomping the ice with both toe picks trying to look passionate or angsty or arteeestic or whatever when it doesn't fit the music at all is just zzzzz and :confused:

Last edited:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Keep Mishin, but pay him less. Take that money and invest in a GOOD choreographer, fashion/costume designer, and hair stylist. There's no excuse for a skater that good- looking that bad.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
" Take that money and invest in a GOOD choreographer, fashion/costume designer, and hair stylist. There's no excuse for a skater that good- looking that bad. "

Costumes are a problem in general for about 95% of the Russian team; I don't know WHAT is going on over there, but there costumes are almost always on the hideous side, and actually, except for that gold and white thing he had on a few years ago, Plushenko's are not nearly as bad as those of many of the other Russians. However -- no country in the world is nearly as bad as the Ukrainians!! Except for Liashenko, those people need to be overhauled by the What Not To Wear squad.
IMO Plushenko's choreography is fine; a bit over the top, but then again I think Plushenko himself may be a bit over the top and Russian choreography in general can often be the same if expressed correctly. At least he has some; I remember when he first came along and it was all jump glide jump glide jump glide jump and he was one of the most boring skaters I'd ever seen. He's come a long way.
As for the hair -- yeah, I've been saying for years, Will you DO something about that? But then at one of his competitions this year, I was looking at him up close during a close-up and I honestly don't think there's anything that can be done. He has straight fine hair and the only thing going for it is its color. As someone who has the same type of hair, I can tell you, you can't do much with it. Yeah, he could cut it, but given his facial features, I think he would look absolutely ridicolous with shorter hair. Tho if it gets any longer perhaps he could put it up in a bun??:laugh:
I say keep Mishin; why mess with a winning formula?

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Yagudin would have a cow!

TT could do wonders for him! He needs less flapping and more feeling in his presentation.

I don't think it's possible to turn him into Brad Pitt. (I'm not even sure we need another Brad Pitt) He just has some serious HUH? factor to his look and it's distracting. I think getting some top notch help would do him good!

Antilles

Medalist
I think he should keep Mishin. I agree his choreagraphy/costumes could use some improvement, but those are just opinions, they aren't facts. Plush has won two World titles and an Olympic silver with Mishin. They have been together a long time, and I think they have a good relationship. I wouldn't mess with that. There's nothing wrong with loyalty.

Rixis

On the Ice
Wow! I've never thought of that before, I mean they've been together quite a bit but you make a very good point and I agree. And never is a long time..Plush says he will hopefully skate till 2010, so, you know, anything could happen...

FrozenHeart

Rinkside
At least he should give it a try. I haven´t seen his new programs yet and the LP program of the past season (with the music composed especially for him) seemed to me as a kind of improvement. But still... I try to watch right through his performances from start to finish and somewhere in the middle I become distracted and feel kinda bored. So, IMHO, it´s time for a change, time for going on. BTW, I can´t help thinking that the arm movements are just his personality showing. I´m a scorpio myself and very much attracted to dramatic arm movements. :)

curious

Final Flight
Some people would love to see him with another coach but it ain't going to happen. He has the best technical coach,one he loves and respect. If it ain't broken don't fix it. He is doing great with Mishin.:D

Kasey

Medalist
There is a theory "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", etc. But even though Plush is an Olympic medalist and multiple world champ under Mishin, I think his style could be a bit stunted under the man. I think a different coach could maybe help him develop more.
And it's obvious from Plushenko, Yagudin and Urmanov that Mishin may well be a great technical coach for JUMPS, but what the h*ll is wrong with well-centered, fast spins? Is it impossible for a Russian male? Maybe a different coach (or at least a consultant of some sort) could help in that aspect.

Kasey

I'm sure most posters will disagree with me, but I really think Plush has already reached his zenith. There is nothing more that I expect of him. Certainly i see no quints, and the style for me is stagnant in the 'look ma, no hands' . Plush, imo, came on strong as a fantastic young boy skater. Unfortunately, I have not yet seen Plush the man. I do believe he is old enough now. But then, I'm a Klimkin fan.

Joe

Tove

On the Ice
I think he can keep Mishin, but he should get a new choreographer, who does not create programs like his previous once, who can give him different impulses.....

windspirit

On the Ice
shine said:
Plush should fire Mishin and go to Sandhu to learn what real ballet is if he doesn't want to keep insulting Nijinski, or go to Lambiel to learn how to skate and dance to music like Magic Stradivarius and such.
Watch his performance of it from the Russian Nats. He was exquisite. The program has grown and Plush has grown with it.

As for your advice for Plushenko to go to Sandhu to learn what "real ballet" is, I find it ironic in the light of two facts: 1. Plushenko studied dance under a choreographer from the Mariinsky Ballet Theater in Petersburg (and this is as "real" as ballet can get, trust me), and was invited to dance there. He could have become a dancer at the Mariinsky or a skater. He's made his choice. Still, that he was asked to make it says a lot about his dancing abilities. 2. One of his present choreographers is a former student and choreographer of the Mariinsky Theater.

No offense, but I think they know about "real ballet" more than you do, and can assess someone's talent (or lack of thereof) accordingly. Next time try be less defensive about your favorites. If Plushenko was as bad as you claim he is, would have Eman really accomplished anything by beating him? Think about it.

As for the subject -- I don't think I'd want him to leave Mishin (btw, that reminds me of the fragment from one of T.S. Eliot's poems: "Do I dare disturb the universe?" ;) ) permanently, but I must say that I'd love to see what others could do for and with him.

shine

Record Breaker
windspirit said:

No offense, but I think they know about "real ballet" more than you do, and can assess someone's talent (or lack of thereof) accordingly.
And what's your reasoning behind this assumption?

And I didn't know I was trying to defend, since I didn't see my favs got offended in the first place?

Last edited:
What does Ballet have to do with Figure Skating? I kinda like Folk Dancing, Character Dancing, Spanish Dancing, etc.

Why should we pidgeon hole Figure Skating into an Iralian Art Form which is what Ballet is?

The sport of figure skating is to win medals any which way you know how (even cheating in some instances). The art of figure skating is developing proper technique but I would hardly think that will get the crowds in to see figure skating as they would for opera, theatre, and yes, all forms of dance.

Russian Ballet has not helped Nedilina one iota, and "real ballet" is in the threatre, not in the arena. Sasha Cohen's talent for mimicing ballet on ice is second to none.

Just my take on the issue.

Joe

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I have come to respect and admire Plushenko over the years for his consistency and fluid style. I am one of the few who actually wasn't horrified at his long program this year. It isn't the end-all of programs, but I thought it had potential and was one of the best in the men's amateur world. But, having said that, I would definitely like to see Plushenko branch out and work with different choreographers. The partnership with Mishin has worked so far, but Plushenko has been around for so long (since 98 as a major force) that I feel at least a choreographer change might spice things up for him and the sport.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
All that Jazz said:
Probably it'll never happen, but I'd love to see just once what Tarasova could do for Plushenko.

Not a crazy idea...I secretly wish for the same thing. Maybe then I wouldn't have to fast forward through his programs. I recognize Plush's technique but he presents it in a way I really don't find enjoyable to watch.

Evdokia

On the Ice
IMO he may stay with Mishin, but just needs to get better choreographers. I believe that Plushenko has potential to develop into great artistic skater as well, but with the kind of programes he has done up to now, he has been recognized mainly for the technical aspect of his skating in terms of jumps. :(

And I'd love to see Plushenko working with Tarassova on the artistic side of his skating. :love: