View Poll Results: Should Plush leave Mishin?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

36 36.36%
  • No!

35 35.35%
  • Don't know!

10 10.10%
  • Don't care!

18 18.18%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should Plush leave Mishin?

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Originally posted by windspirit

No offense, but I think they know about "real ballet" more than you do, and can assess someone's talent (or lack of thereof) accordingly.
    And what's your reasoning behind this assumption?

And I didn't know I was trying to defend, since I didn't see my favs got offended in the first place?
    Last edited by shine; 01-18-2004 at 01:01 AM.

What does Ballet have to do with Figure Skating? I kinda like Folk Dancing, Character Dancing, Spanish Dancing, etc.

Why should we pidgeon hole Figure Skating into an Iralian Art Form which is what Ballet is?

The sport of figure skating is to win medals any which way you know how (even cheating in some instances). The art of figure skating is developing proper technique but I would hardly think that will get the crowds in to see figure skating as they would for opera, theatre, and yes, all forms of dance.

Russian Ballet has not helped Nedilina one iota, and "real ballet" is in the threatre, not in the arena. Sasha Cohen's talent for mimicing ballet on ice is second to none.

Just my take on the issue.

Joe

Custom Title
    I have come to respect and admire Plushenko over the years for his consistency and fluid style. I am one of the few who actually wasn't horrified at his long program this year. It isn't the end-all of programs, but I thought it had potential and was one of the best in the men's amateur world. But, having said that, I would definitely like to see Plushenko branch out and work with different choreographers. The partnership with Mishin has worked so far, but Plushenko has been around for so long (since 98 as a major force) that I feel at least a choreographer change might spice things up for him and the sport.

Originally posted by All that Jazz
    Probably it'll never happen, but I'd love to see just once what Tarasova could do for Plushenko.
    Not a crazy idea...I secretly wish for the same thing. Maybe then I wouldn't have to fast forward through his programs. I recognize Plush's technique but he presents it in a way I really don't find enjoyable to watch.

Custom Title
    IMO he may stay with Mishin, but just needs to get better choreographers. I believe that Plushenko has potential to develop into great artistic skater as well, but with the kind of programes he has done up to now, he has been recognized mainly for the technical aspect of his skating in terms of jumps. :(

And I'd love to see Plushenko working with Tarassova on the artistic side of his skating.

I do like Plushy's presentatoin. I agree, though, that there has been too much repetition within his programs. I agree with all those who say keep Mishin, hire an outside choreographer.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Tho if it gets any longer perhaps he could put it up in a bun??
    JonnyCoop,

I think Mishin should get a great, not good but great choreographer for Evgeni. I just wondered what Evgeni could have done with the flamenco music this past year with great choreography to that kind of music. I thought the music cuts were just terrible.

When I was at Skate Canada, Mishin was video recording Sandu. Wonder why?

Dee

Custom Title
    I don't know why Mishin was specifically taping Sandhu, although I do remember Mishin and or Plushenko praising him.
    Mishin also taped Sarah Meier(SP) the Swiss National Champions.
    Maybe he likes to keep a skating tape collection

Custom Title
    Originally posted by lulu
    I don't know why Mishin was specifically taping Sandhu, although I do remember Mishin and or Plushenko praising him.
    LOL, I would rather think that Mishin taped these specific skaters because of their impressive spins? I would expect him to improve Plushenko on different areas because of CoP and spinning is one of them.

I doubt that Plushy would leave Mishin, but he should find a new choreographer. He did though have a fantastic gala performance of his freeskate. And WHAT A FANTASTIC FOOTWORK!!! He has such a quick feet, has been the most impressive eligible skater in footwork for years, in my opinion. And I´d imagine that his has the quality which is appreciated by the judges.

Marjaana

Ilia Kulik photos & photolinks
    http://koti.welho.com/mjylha2/index.html
    Last edited by Jaana; 02-24-2004 at 10:10 AM.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by lulu
    Apparently, Mishin usually tapes skaters he believes to be potential threats to Plushenko. He was seen various times in the past taping Yagudin too, step sequences, IIRC. Maybe that's why Dick Button said at the 2001 GPF that the SL sequence in that Cirque du Soleil LP was awfully alike Yagudin's LOL I think there are plenty of things he'd want to tape from Sandhu, I mean, what's not to like? :D

I think Plushenko feels very comfortable with Mishin and obviously he doesn't seem to want to change. It's not like they haven't been successful together LOL If it's not broken, why fix it, right? Personally, like others, I'd love to see what would happen if Plushenko worked with other coach or at least a different choreographer. I have the impression he would cut a bit on the flailing arms and stuff. I've read reviews from COI and other shows where people mentioned that he didn't seem so over the top whene he's "on his own". Who knows what Plushenko's "natural" tendencies are in terms of style and performance.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by shine
    Plush should fire Mishin and go to Sandhu to learn what real ballet is if he doesn't want to keep insulting Nijinski, or go to Lambiel to learn how to skate and dance to music like Magic Stradivarius and such.
    Plush's presentation is getting old. Always the same old strange hand gestures, and occasional stomping the ice with both toe picks trying to look passionate or angsty or arteeestic or whatever when it doesn't fit the music at all is just zzzzz and
    LOL yea i was just gonna say that
    I personally dont see HOW plushy gets all those 6.0's undeservedly...ive never seen him TRULY portray the character or actually feel his music

A. Y. & E. P.: Tzars Of The Ice, Lords Of The Rink anya_angie's Avatar
    I know I'm not the only person who actually understands his programs.

"real ballet" huh? Hm, I guess you believe the teacher at the Mariyinsky (I forget her name, I'll have to look the interview up sometime) who offered Plushenko a spot there was a bit off if that be the case.

Just cause most people can't understand it doesn't mean it's no good. Picasso? Hello? I think people thought he was a travesty to art when he was around. Am I right?

He's contemporary, he's different. He's not a skater who does the same type of program 4 years in a row like most silly skaters do. Why is it people can't respect him? Kulik raised eyebrows with Rhapsody in Blue when he first skated that, didn't he?

I'm an intellectual. I like things that stimulate my mind. When I see, say, Sale/Pelltier's Love Story I go why? The story has been done literally to death. Plushenko has told the emotions during the history of his city, and the story of a tormented dancer, and instead of going [color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color] is he trying to pull? I think, well that's interesting, clever, I can learn from this. Thus I analyze it over and over, without sound so I don't have to listen to the senile Dick Button. I learn from this man and his choreographers, and Mishin, and they have given me some wonderful ideas for programs. I would love to see Plushenko do my Pianist program.

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Plushenko knows what he's doing. He created his program for Carmen.

To understand the Nijinsky program, do some reading on his site that explains it from his own lips. www.evgeniplushenko.net Or if you want to try to figure it out yourself, it requires the use of something particularly valuable, let me think of what it's called again... oh yes, it's called a brain. (no offense intended)
    Last edited by anya_angie; 03-13-2004 at 06:24 AM.

Skating Freak Barbie
    Anya_angie,

I think Kulik raised eyebrows with "Rhapsody in Blue" more because of his "Rhapsody in Moo" costume, not his performance or presentation of the music.

Everyone has different opinions and likes/dislikes of style and choreography. I respect Plush a great deal as a talented and challenging force to be reckoned with, and with great consistancy over the years. However, I often feel his choreography, although maybe difficult, consists of a lot of posing, posturing and erraticism. I don't find it thought-provoking, but annoying. That is simply my dislike of the style. It doesn't mean I'm lacking a brain.

Kasey

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    Mishin is not Plush's choreographer.

Thank you for listening. Windspirit and others ahve said this already, but no one is paying attention.

Anyway, having seen Plush and Mishin interact, Plush will never leave him. Mishin is like Plush's second father.

I'd post more, but I'm tired. Go back and read WS and AA's posts for how I feel.

Later,

Laura

On my best behavior
    Pluschenko and Mishin seem to have a wonderful relationship, and there's no arguing with Plushy's results, so why change?
    Originally posted by JonnyCoop
    As for the hair -- yeah, I've been saying for years, Will you DO something about that? But then at one of his competitions this year, I was looking at him up close during a close-up and I honestly don't think there's anything that can be done. He has straight fine hair and the only thing going for it is its color. As someone who has the same type of hair, I can tell you, you can't do much with it. Yeah, he could cut it, but given his facial features, I think he would look absolutely ridicolous with shorter hair. Tho if it gets any longer perhaps he could put it up in a bun??
    Perhaps he could slick it back like Adrien Brody.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast