Can Kostner hold off Russian babies? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Can Kostner hold off Russian babies?

jiggs

On the Ice
I find it hideous how some posters here are repeating themselves over and over again, constantly using the same ridiculous arguments to bash wonderful skaters like Carolina or Mao. Shame on you.

Last edited:

minze

Medalist
I find it hideous how some posters here are repeating themselves over and over again, constantly using the same ridiculous arguments to bash wonderful skaters like Carolina or Mao. Shame on you.

thank you. Agree

gmyers

Record Breaker
Their winning is what is shameful! top 5 or whatever but please winning? At least Kostner did 4 triples in a FS and won a compeition which beats Mao's 4 triples over a SP and LP that won an event!

Krislite

Medalist
I don't see Yuna winning gold at this years Worlds. She has not skated competively for close to 3 years. You lose your edge when you don't practice hard every day as you have to when you compete. That is why so many suffer injuries when they want to compete again, ie Evan and Shasa. The most I see for Yuna is a bronze. Kostner and Asada will battle it out for the gold in my opinion. I really do like Kostner's programs this year as they showcase her style.

She's been competing this season (NRW Trophy and Korean Nationals) and training very hard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O59GUx8iJMI (Her current Long Program). Her 6-days a week practice/training have been since at least September. More than adequate "practice" for Worlds, in my opinion.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I have to say her most recent comp. was great. Le Mis is really looking good. And Yuna skated with emotion. If I had to say why Yuna never struck me as really wonderfully artistic (lines, legs, back, posture not up to my admittedly high standards), it was that her skating at Olympics left me cold. Perfect big jumps but so what. The emotions were generated by Joannie. I loved Joannie's skating more and mao's. But the new Yuna is beginning to show some emotion that is not acting. Yuna needs to live. I hope she is happy to comeback and clearly she could win Worlds again and another gold. She has so much experience and only Mao can compete on her level of being calm and cool. Mao has had struggles as she fought through her jumps being reworked, her mom's death. Kim was having a ball at photo shoots, a few shows.

Anyone who thinks Yuna can't win on her jumps alone hasn't seen her lately. Her artistry was good enough then for judges and will be again. I kind of hope she doesn't go to Sochi as no one else will have a chance. She is cool as ice. Skating is a mental game with jumps and she has it down. No one should be surprised if she wins. For me, Carolina is majestic in a way Yuna never was nor will ever be. Mao is ethereal, another special beautiful artist. But Yuna is good at everything and superlative at jumps. I recently watched her latest outings. The improvement is there and maybe we will see Vancouver Yuna again. She'd go down in history as the best woman ever if she pulls it off.

venlac

On the Ice
I have to say her most recent comp. was great. Le Mis is really looking good. And Yuna skated with emotion. If I had to say why Yuna never struck me as really wonderfully artistic (lines, legs, back, posture not up to my admittedly high standards), it was that her skating at Olympics left me cold. Perfect big jumps but so what. The emotions were generated by Joannie. I loved Joannie's skating more and mao's.

In olympics she displays a balance of athleticism and artistry that sets her apart from other figure skaters.
I think it is a different kind of artistry. (Not Emotionally)

Last edited:

Krislite

Medalist
In olympics she displays a balance of athleticism and artistry that sets her apart from other figure skaters.
I think it is a different kind of artistry.

It is a difference of style. All three (Mao, Yuna and Carolina) have well-developed and distinct skating and expressive styles. Mao is soft and ethereal, Yuna is powerful and fluid, and Carolina is fast and majestic. It's great that they're not all ballerinas. Mao is a lovely skater, but my preference is more towards Yuna and (to a lesser extent) Carolina. It would be interesting to see them all on the Worlds podium again. Last time that happened was five years ago (2008).

FSGMT

Record Breaker
It is a difference of style. All three (Mao, Yuna and Carolina) have well-developed and distinct skating and expressive styles. Mao is soft and ethereal, Yuna is powerful and fluid, and Carolina is fast and majestic. It's great that they're not all ballerinas. Mao is a lovely skater, but my preference is more towards Yuna and (to a lesser extent) Carolina. It would be interesting to see them all on the Worlds podium again. Last time that happened was five years ago (2008).
Good post, I agree; I personally prefer Carolina, and I would also love to see Caro, Yu-Na and Mao on the World podium again, in any order! And, I think that Mao's problem in 2010 was that she was trying to be majestic when her style is clearly (using your words) soft and ethereal...

Icey

Record Breaker
It's not only the judges who love her. She is supported and respected by a lot of other people who have been involved in figure skating for a long time (just read Urmanov's, Tarasova's or Orser's comments after her Euros performance - they are just three of many examples). She brings something special to the ice and that combined with her incredible skating skills and jumping technique makes her stand out and successful. She has the ability to make COP programs look special and unique which is very rare nowadays, and that IMO is the main key to her success. A lot of people in the figure skating scene regard her as one of the most interesting and creative skaters ever, and deservedly so.

That being said, Carolina is not an "easy" skater to get. It is not like she is this pretty ice princess who is appealing to everyone at the very first sight. You actually have to look beyond to appreciate some of her amazing qualities. IMO the ladies' field will be missing something once she retires.

And yet, considering this, she hasn't been as dominant as one might expect. Her best finish at two Olympics is 9th and she has won worlds only once after ten attempts (2 bronzes, 1 silver).

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I have to say her most recent comp. was great. Le Mis is really looking good. And Yuna skated with emotion. If I had to say why Yuna never struck me as really wonderfully artistic (lines, legs, back, posture not up to my admittedly high standards), it was that her skating at Olympics left me cold. Perfect big jumps but so what. The emotions were generated by Joannie. I loved Joannie's skating more and mao's. But the new Yuna is beginning to show some emotion that is not acting.

I agree with your opinion of Yuna. Although I recognized she skated very well in Vancouver, her performances there didn't move me or interest me greatly. Her skating felt a bit cold, remote. Now it's different. The few times we've seen her since Vancouver, I've really felt a new depth and maturity and emotion in her skating. Almost as if her inner self was liberated a bit once the pressure was off to get the OGM. I am really a fan of Yuna now. In Vancouver I still much preferred Mao, but now I love them both. And Carolina, too.

Bartek

On the Ice
EDIT: This is a respons to the last post by CanadianSkaterGuy
Ouch. Her jumps have regressed to their worst over three seasons and she's actually winning more... that is pretty lame. Forget the lack of triple axel, this skater, internationally, has cleanly landed 14/27 (52%) of her triple jumps and yet she is the GPF gold medalist and has two Grand Prix wins. There's your statistic of the season. Augh.  

This is a nonsense. She won her GPF gold medal fair and square with a totally superior and fantastic performance. She didn't land 7 triples, right, but who really did? Don't tell me that Michelle Kwan did, because firstly you need to apply the same logic to her performances that you apply when it comes to Mao. Don't take into account Michelle's both flutzes and underrotated jumps and you are left with 3 CLAEN triples in her glorious SOTBS from 2001 Worlds. Mao's skate from GPF was absolutely sensational performance-wise and I have already provided you with numerous reasons for her high PCS scores.

Last edited:

Bartek

On the Ice
I agree with your opinion of Yuna. Although I recognized she skated very well in Vancouver, her performances there didn't move me or interest me greatly. Her skating felt a bit cold, remote. Now it's different. The few times we've seen her since Vancouver, I've really felt a new depth and maturity and emotion in her skating. Almost as if her inner self was liberated a bit once the pressure was off to get the OGM. I am really a fan of Yuna now. In Vancouver I still much preferred Mao, but now I love them both. And Carolina, too.

I totally agree. Since Vancouver Yu-Na has achieved a whole new level of artistry and feeling the music. Her Homage to Korea was glorious and full of emotions even with the mistakes.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yu Na Kim is the one she has to be most worried about, not the baby Russians, who she defeated at Europeans despite quite a subpar competition. If she finishes behind the Russians, it just means she probably is right out of the top 5, but they arent the ones she needs to beat if she has aspirations for gold.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
If the Russian babies skate both programs flawless, and Caro not, and she has four triple in FS, she will lose.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
npavel said:
too many if ... I she skates her two programs clean, as she did last year at worlds ...

But, erm.... she didn't. She popped two jumps, one in the SP an one in the LP. Especially in the SP that might prove very expensive if it happens this year again - it doesn't affect her great performances for me, but it reduces the BV. That might be enough for quite a few skaters to overtake her if they're clean, Adelina and Liza clearly are two of them.

If this question means can Carolina hold them off at 2013 worlds, of course it's yes. If we're talking about next season though, it might change. Adelina and Liza are more likely than Caro to improve a lot until then. Caro's advantage are the PCS (rightfully so), but it's not as if the young russians couldn't get better in this regards. Let alone better choreography would help them a lot. By now, my guess would be that a clean Caro will still win against clean Adelina and clean Liza next year, but if she makes mistakes again, the gap won't be wide enough anymore to keep her ahead.

vera01

Final Flight
Carolina has high PCS. I'd say Yuna, Mao, and Carolina would have a high PCS, but I think either Mao or Carolina's would be highest. If I remember correctly, Yuna never won the competition(major one) because she had a high PCS. So Carolina should be ahead of Russian girls when it comes to PCS.

But, to say the truth, Carolina's TES is far behind Russian girls, Gracie, Yuna and maybe even Mao.

venlac

On the Ice

In my opinion. In the past, yuna using the whole body to express the music.

sorry for fans
but, I continue to compare her with her past...
since 2011 world, I felt yuna was changed. i have felt her facial expression too much and less 'Magical' in performance that sets her apart from other skaters
in the past, she seemed like every movement in her heart
I like 06-07 season Tango de Roxane' 08-09 season Danse macabre than 2011 sp 'Giselle' and 'kiss of vampires' in this season.

i think she mind to returned,
she should fight with her past. although she is older than before...
I want to see a great program more than danse macabre

Last edited:
Carolina has high PCS. I'd say Yuna, Mao, and Carolina would have a high PCS, but I think either Mao or Carolina's would be highest. If I remember correctly, Yuna never won the competition(major one) because she had a high PCS. So Carolina should be ahead of Russian girls when it comes to PCS.

But, to say the truth, Carolina's TES is far behind Russian girls, Gracie, Yuna and maybe even Mao.

It's true Yuna's never won anything aided by PCS but it's also true that she's always received the highest PCS in any event she entered, i.e., GP series, GPF, 4cc, worlds, and olympics since 2007. That means that she never won the competition not because she doesn't have high PCS but because she didn't get enough TES to win overall.

Carolina sure has more then enough ability to hold off any Russian girls. Even with mistakes, there's no denying that she is a far superior skater than any of them.