Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Can Kostner hold off Russian babies?

Custom Title
    Considering the Sochi Olympics I think that the Russian babies have less podium or at least gold medal chances there, if other skaters manage to keep them off podium in WC now. Will be exciting to watch if Caroline, Yu-Na and Mao will manage to accomplish that in London....
    Last edited by Jaana; 02-01-2013 at 03:58 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Another reason I think Mao won't win... regarding her loop and flip, here's her season's history with them -- her flip has been a issue -- she has yet to skate a competition where she lands both 3Fs in the FS.

Japan Open: FS - both 3L clean, 3F clean, 3F underrotated
    Cup of China: SP - 3F underrotated, 3L clean; FS - both 3F's underrotated, both 3L's clean
    NHK: SP - 3F clean, 3L clean; FS - 2L, 3F, 3L, 2F
    GPF: SP - 3F clean, 3L clean; FS - both 3L clean, one 3F clean, one 3F underrotated
    Japanese Nationals: SP - 3F clean, 1L ; FS - both 3L clean (though IMO the second one was UR'ed), 3F clean, 2F
    her three season chart
    10-11
    3a 1/8 3lo 7/8 3lz 0/4 3f 6/12 3s 3/4 3t 0/2
    11-12
    3a 0/4 3lo 7/8 3lz 0/4 3f 10/12 3s 1/4 3t 2/2
    12-13
    3a 0 3lo 8/9 3lz 0/3 3f 4/9 3s 1/3 3t 1/3(Except japanese national)

chart
    Last edited by venlac; 02-01-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Custom Title
    I wish I could appreciate the great love of her the judges have.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I wish I could appreciate the great love of her the judges have.
    It's not only the judges who love her. She is supported and respected by a lot of other people who have been involved in figure skating for a long time (just read Urmanov's, Tarasova's or Orser's comments after her Euros performance - they are just three of many examples). She brings something special to the ice and that combined with her incredible skating skills and jumping technique makes her stand out and successful. She has the ability to make COP programs look special and unique which is very rare nowadays, and that IMO is the main key to her success. A lot of people in the figure skating scene regard her as one of the most interesting and creative skaters ever, and deservedly so.

That being said, Carolina is not an "easy" skater to get. It is not like she is this pretty ice princess who is appealing to everyone at the very first sight. You actually have to look beyond to appreciate some of her amazing qualities. IMO the ladies' field will be missing something once she retires.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs View Post
    just read Urmanov's, Tarasova's or Orser's comments after her Euros performance - they are just three of many examples
    Where can I read those comments? I'm curious!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by franz6009 View Post
    Where can I read those comments? I'm curious!
    For example: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...13697665347647

Custom Title
    Interesting comments. I agree there is something uniquely "modern" about Carolina's skating. She does not have that typical figure skating build common in years past. She is tall and statuesque and, as such, she's had to develop a different style of skating. The standard ballerina/ice princess look doesn't work for her, due to her physique, and so her movement is more inventive and unique. The unusual/challenging music she's chosen the last few seasons enhances this impression.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs View Post

Thank you! That's very interesting indeed!

On the Ice
    I don't see Yuna winning gold at this years Worlds. She has not skated competively for close to 3 years. You lose your edge when you don't practice hard every day as you have to when you compete. That is why so many suffer injuries when they want to compete again, ie Evan and Shasa. The most I see for Yuna is a bronze. Kostner and Asada will battle it out for the gold in my opinion. I really do like Kostner's programs this year as they showcase her style.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    I don't see Yuna winning gold at this years Worlds. She has not skated competively for close to 3 years. You lose your edge when you don't practice hard every day as you have to when you compete. That is why so many suffer injuries when they want to compete again, ie Evan and Shasa. The most I see for Yuna is a bronze. Kostner and Asada will battle it out for the gold in my opinion. I really do like Kostner's programs this year as they showcase her style.
    You should see some of Yu Na's most recent skates. It's quelled a lot of people's questions about whether she still has it, and oh boy, she still has it - especially considering the field has regressed instead of gotten stronger. The only thing holding Yu Na back is her lack of experience on the international stage this year and her programs/spins lacking her usual finesse. At NRT she was stellar and blew away the field.

As far as Carolina goes, I love her speed, lines, and yes, she is a 'creative' skater. You don't see her usually doing conventional music (save for Bolero this year). I just don't find this year's FS particularly creative for what she's capable of. Her jumping is better after a few years of slumping, but she's still plagued by inconsistency.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by venlac View Post
    her three season chart
    10-11
    3a 1/8 3lo 7/8 3lz 0/4 3f 6/12 3s 3/4 3t 0/2
    11-12
    3a 0/4 3lo 7/8 3lz 0/4 3f 10/12 3s 1/4 3t 2/2
    12-13
    3a 0 3lo 8/9 3lz 0/3 3f 4/9 3s 1/3 3t 1/3(Except japanese national)
    Ouch. Her jumps have regressed to their worst over three seasons and she's actually winning more... that is pretty lame. Forget the lack of triple axel, this skater, internationally, has cleanly landed 14/27 (52%) of her triple jumps and yet she is the GPF gold medalist and has two Grand Prix wins. There's your statistic of the season. Augh.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Ouch. Her jumps have regressed to their worst over three seasons and she's actually winning more... that is pretty lame. Forget the lack of triple axel, this skater, internationally, has cleanly landed 14/27 (52%) of her triple jumps and yet she is the GPF gold medalist and has two Grand Prix wins. There's your statistic of the season. Augh.
    Who should have won GPF, boo?

The question is "Can Kostner Hold Off Russian Babies?"

What do you mean "can she"? She's already just recently done it at europeans when the russian girls were obviously much more superior in jump content. She has done, she is doing it, and she will do it. It is wrong but while Cinquanta is sitting in that president's seat, we might as well just shut our mouths and watch because her pcs will always get her out of her poor jumping content.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    The question is "Can Kostner Hold Off Russian Babies?"

What do you mean "can she"? She's already just recently done it at europeans when the russian girls were obviously much more superior in jump content. She has done, she is doing it, and she will do it. It is wrong but while Cinquanta is sitting in that president's seat, we might as well just shut our mouths and watch because her pcs will always get her out of her poor jumping content.
    So true - main thing is that she almost won the FS by doing two double salchows! Imagine if she did them. LOL. She won worlds with her big jump being a triple flip! I mean its so ridiculous what the judges are doing.

Custom Title
    I so hope Ottavio Cinquanta retires from being ISU president, just for stopping this ridiculous thing about him helping Kostner. This is a non sense, truly

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast