Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Can Kostner hold off Russian babies?

Custom Title
    I find it hideous how some posters here are repeating themselves over and over again, constantly using the same ridiculous arguments to bash wonderful skaters like Carolina or Mao. Shame on you.
    Last edited by jiggs; 02-01-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jiggs View Post
    I find it hideous how some posters here are repeating themselves over and over again, constantly using the same ridiculous arguments to bash wonderful skaters like Carolina or Mao. Shame on you.
    thank you. Agree

Custom Title
    Their winning is what is shameful! top 5 or whatever but please winning? At least Kostner did 4 triples in a FS and won a compeition which beats Mao's 4 triples over a SP and LP that won an event!

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    I don't see Yuna winning gold at this years Worlds. She has not skated competively for close to 3 years. You lose your edge when you don't practice hard every day as you have to when you compete. That is why so many suffer injuries when they want to compete again, ie Evan and Shasa. The most I see for Yuna is a bronze. Kostner and Asada will battle it out for the gold in my opinion. I really do like Kostner's programs this year as they showcase her style.
    She's been competing this season (NRW Trophy and Korean Nationals) and training very hard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=O59GUx8iJMI (Her current Long Program). Her 6-days a week practice/training have been since at least September. More than adequate "practice" for Worlds, in my opinion.

I have to say her most recent comp. was great. Le Mis is really looking good. And Yuna skated with emotion. If I had to say why Yuna never struck me as really wonderfully artistic (lines, legs, back, posture not up to my admittedly high standards), it was that her skating at Olympics left me cold. Perfect big jumps but so what. The emotions were generated by Joannie. I loved Joannie's skating more and mao's. But the new Yuna is beginning to show some emotion that is not acting. Yuna needs to live. I hope she is happy to comeback and clearly she could win Worlds again and another gold. She has so much experience and only Mao can compete on her level of being calm and cool. Mao has had struggles as she fought through her jumps being reworked, her mom's death. Kim was having a ball at photo shoots, a few shows.

Anyone who thinks Yuna can't win on her jumps alone hasn't seen her lately. Her artistry was good enough then for judges and will be again. I kind of hope she doesn't go to Sochi as no one else will have a chance. She is cool as ice. Skating is a mental game with jumps and she has it down. No one should be surprised if she wins. For me, Carolina is majestic in a way Yuna never was nor will ever be. Mao is ethereal, another special beautiful artist. But Yuna is good at everything and superlative at jumps. I recently watched her latest outings. The improvement is there and maybe we will see Vancouver Yuna again. She'd go down in history as the best woman ever if she pulls it off.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I have to say her most recent comp. was great. Le Mis is really looking good. And Yuna skated with emotion. If I had to say why Yuna never struck me as really wonderfully artistic (lines, legs, back, posture not up to my admittedly high standards), it was that her skating at Olympics left me cold. Perfect big jumps but so what. The emotions were generated by Joannie. I loved Joannie's skating more and mao's.

In olympics she displays a balance of athleticism and artistry that sets her apart from other figure skaters.
    I think it is a different kind of artistry. (Not Emotionally)
    Last edited by venlac; 02-03-2013 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by venlac View Post
    In olympics she displays a balance of athleticism and artistry that sets her apart from other figure skaters.
    I think it is a different kind of artistry.
    It is a difference of style. All three (Mao, Yuna and Carolina) have well-developed and distinct skating and expressive styles. Mao is soft and ethereal, Yuna is powerful and fluid, and Carolina is fast and majestic. It's great that they're not all ballerinas. Mao is a lovely skater, but my preference is more towards Yuna and (to a lesser extent) Carolina. It would be interesting to see them all on the Worlds podium again. Last time that happened was five years ago (2008).

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    It is a difference of style. All three (Mao, Yuna and Carolina) have well-developed and distinct skating and expressive styles. Mao is soft and ethereal, Yuna is powerful and fluid, and Carolina is fast and majestic. It's great that they're not all ballerinas. Mao is a lovely skater, but my preference is more towards Yuna and (to a lesser extent) Carolina. It would be interesting to see them all on the Worlds podium again. Last time that happened was five years ago (2008).
    Good post, I agree; I personally prefer Carolina, and I would also love to see Caro, Yu-Na and Mao on the World podium again, in any order! And, I think that Mao's problem in 2010 was that she was trying to be majestic when her style is clearly (using your words) soft and ethereal...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs View Post
    It's not only the judges who love her. She is supported and respected by a lot of other people who have been involved in figure skating for a long time (just read Urmanov's, Tarasova's or Orser's comments after her Euros performance - they are just three of many examples). She brings something special to the ice and that combined with her incredible skating skills and jumping technique makes her stand out and successful. She has the ability to make COP programs look special and unique which is very rare nowadays, and that IMO is the main key to her success. A lot of people in the figure skating scene regard her as one of the most interesting and creative skaters ever, and deservedly so.

That being said, Carolina is not an "easy" skater to get. It is not like she is this pretty ice princess who is appealing to everyone at the very first sight. You actually have to look beyond to appreciate some of her amazing qualities. IMO the ladies' field will be missing something once she retires.
    And yet, considering this, she hasn't been as dominant as one might expect. Her best finish at two Olympics is 9th and she has won worlds only once after ten attempts (2 bronzes, 1 silver).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I have to say her most recent comp. was great. Le Mis is really looking good. And Yuna skated with emotion. If I had to say why Yuna never struck me as really wonderfully artistic (lines, legs, back, posture not up to my admittedly high standards), it was that her skating at Olympics left me cold. Perfect big jumps but so what. The emotions were generated by Joannie. I loved Joannie's skating more and mao's. But the new Yuna is beginning to show some emotion that is not acting.
    I agree with your opinion of Yuna. Although I recognized she skated very well in Vancouver, her performances there didn't move me or interest me greatly. Her skating felt a bit cold, remote. Now it's different. The few times we've seen her since Vancouver, I've really felt a new depth and maturity and emotion in her skating. Almost as if her inner self was liberated a bit once the pressure was off to get the OGM. I am really a fan of Yuna now. In Vancouver I still much preferred Mao, but now I love them both. And Carolina, too.

Custom Title
    EDIT: This is a respons to the last post by CanadianSkaterGuy
    Ouch. Her jumps have regressed to their worst over three seasons and she's actually winning more... that is pretty lame. Forget the lack of triple axel, this skater, internationally, has cleanly landed 14/27 (52%) of her triple jumps and yet she is the GPF gold medalist and has two Grand Prix wins. There's your statistic of the season. Augh.  

This is a nonsense. She won her GPF gold medal fair and square with a totally superior and fantastic performance. She didn't land 7 triples, right, but who really did? Don't tell me that Michelle Kwan did, because firstly you need to apply the same logic to her performances that you apply when it comes to Mao. Don't take into account Michelle's both flutzes and underrotated jumps and you are left with 3 CLAEN triples in her glorious SOTBS from 2001 Worlds. Mao's skate from GPF was absolutely sensational performance-wise and I have already provided you with numerous reasons for her high PCS scores.
    Last edited by Bartek; 02-02-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    I agree with your opinion of Yuna. Although I recognized she skated very well in Vancouver, her performances there didn't move me or interest me greatly. Her skating felt a bit cold, remote. Now it's different. The few times we've seen her since Vancouver, I've really felt a new depth and maturity and emotion in her skating. Almost as if her inner self was liberated a bit once the pressure was off to get the OGM. I am really a fan of Yuna now. In Vancouver I still much preferred Mao, but now I love them both. And Carolina, too.
    I totally agree. Since Vancouver Yu-Na has achieved a whole new level of artistry and feeling the music. Her Homage to Korea was glorious and full of emotions even with the mistakes.

Banned
    Yu Na Kim is the one she has to be most worried about, not the baby Russians, who she defeated at Europeans despite quite a subpar competition. If she finishes behind the Russians, it just means she probably is right out of the top 5, but they arent the ones she needs to beat if she has aspirations for gold.

If the Russian babies skate both programs flawless, and Caro not, and she has four triple in FS, she will lose.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    If the Russian babies skate both programs flawless, and Caro not, and she has four triple in FS, she will lose.
    too many if ... I she skates her two programs clean, as she did last year at worlds ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast