Any Ladies training Quads? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Any Ladies training Quads?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yeah I saw some of Chelsea Christopher's attempts... she is obviously under-rotated but gets great spring and clearly isn't afraid to go for it!

A shame she didn't make it to nationals... her regionals was a pretty great skate.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
If you really want to see females doing quads in competition, a likelier place would be in the pairs competition. With the modern twist lift and throw jump technique, quads must seem tantalizingly doable to elite pairs teams. A few have already landed quads in competition. I'd expect that number to go up.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm curious, it seems to me that the majority opinion is that it wouldn't pay off (at least not currently) for a lady to attempt a quad to try to win a competition - the question then presents itself, woould someone be willing to try, for instance, a 4t for the Glory of going into the record books? And would the risk of injury while training the thing be worth it?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If you really want to see females doing quads in competition, a likelier place would be in the pairs competition. With the modern twist lift and throw jump technique, quads must seem tantalizingly doable to elite pairs teams. A few have already landed quads in competition. I'd expect that number to go up.

And not so elite pair teams. Vise & Trent USA landed the first quad Salchow throw.

This year, Castelli & Shnapir say they are planning to put in the quad Salchow throw, either at 4CC's or Worlds

Certainly their triple Salchow throw is Huge.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Sotnikova the headcase ? :unsure:, she cant even land a clean Lutz :laugh:
Liza has huge height on her 2A and has done 3A in trainings a few seasons ago

Based on Sotnikova's height and power, I wouldn't be surprised to see her land a 3A. She was clean enough to win silver at Euros, so she's clearly improved her consistency.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
As for loop and flip, again, it tends to be a matter of preference whether the skater is an edge jumper or a toe jumper. There are probably almost as many skaters who can do triple flip but not loop as the other way around. It may be that (on average -- everyone is different) men tend to prefer the flip and women the loop. But unless there are going to be completely separate scales of values for each sex, there's no good argument for valuing the flip much higher than the loop.

At one point I felt the same way, based upon my own inclination as a skater towards jumps (I could do 3Flip before 3Loop) and the fact that so many women were completely omitting the Loop jump when CoP started, but further examination has made me feel otherwise.

Let's first start by looking at distant history. Many women in the 1980's were able to do 3Loop, but hardly any could do 3Flip. 3Loop was also performed by Men earlier in history than 3Flip (Dick Button did 3Loop, John Curry's hardest Triple in competition was 3Loop).

Now let's look at recent history, after edge deductions came into play and after < calls became more strict...the Loop is being performed more frequently than the Flip and it tends to score better than the Flip, because of less < calls on it and because of people getting edge deductions on the Flip.

Scientifically the Flip is also harder if looking at how the jumps should ideally be executed. A Flip should pre-rotate less than a Loop, which means a Flip demands more rotation in the air from a skater to complete it properly.

prettykeys

Medalist
Scientifically the Flip is also harder if looking at how the jumps should ideally be executed. A Flip should pre-rotate less than a Loop, which means a Flip demands more rotation in the air from a skater to complete it properly.
Completely neutrally curious...but using the rotational theory, shouldn't a 3T then match the 3Lo? And if not...could it also be said that the mechanics of jump takeoff make rotational force more difficult to achieve on a 3Lo vs. 3T or 3F?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Completely neutrally curious...but using the rotational theory, shouldn't a 3T then match the 3Lo? And if not...could it also be said that the mechanics of jump takeoff make rotational force more difficult to achieve on a 3Lo vs. 3T or 3F?

Well the amount of rotation needed is just one component. I'd say rotational force is also objectively "harder" to achieve on Flip than Loop, but that a Flip can be "muscled through" more than a Loop...there's a lower upper limit for how much force you can put into a Loop as there is a Flip.

gkelly

Record Breaker
At one point I felt the same way, based upon my own inclination as a skater towards jumps (I could do 3Flip before 3Loop) and the fact that so many women were completely omitting the Loop jump when CoP started, but further examination has made me feel otherwise.

Let's first start by looking at distant history. Many women in the 1980's were able to do 3Loop, but hardly any could do 3Flip. 3Loop was also performed by Men earlier in history than 3Flip (Dick Button did 3Loop, John Curry's hardest Triple in competition was 3Loop).

Yes, 3loop came sooner. According to a 1979 article I read, there were 8 women who had done 3loop up to that time, and no 3flips yet.

If we take into account which was performed first in history, that would suggest that 3Lutz is easier the 3flip for both men and women, but I don't think anyone is making that argument. Or that loop was easier than toe loop even though Button did it first.

Are you also looking at how many men in the 1980s, or 1970s, could do 3loop vs. 3flip?

Just out of historical curiosity, it might be interesting to make a list of as many 1980s women as we can think of who could do harder triples (loop, flip, lutz, and axel) and who could do which. Maybe I'll start a thread for that purpose.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
But unless there are going to be completely separate scales of values for each sex...

I think this is an interesting topic to explore. I can see how someone could see this idea as sexist, but I don't think that would obviously be so. If one thinks that the abilities of male and females skaters differ (on average) for physiological reasons, then it stands to reason that there should be a different scales of values for women and for men. In fact, equality would demand it. I sometimes think the current scale of values is implicitly based on male-typical physiology. One bit of evidence for this is the disproportionate value of jumps relative to spins and spirals.

I have no conclusive thoughts on this. It might be nice if the scale of values resulted in the top female skaters earning roughly the same number of points as the top male skaters.

Brenda

On the Ice
I think this is an interesting topic to explore. I can see how someone could see this idea as sexist, but I don't think that would obviously be so. If one thinks that the abilities of male and females skaters differ (on average) for physiological reasons, then it stands to reason that there should be a different scales of values for women and for men. In fact, equality would demand it. I sometimes think the current scale of values is implicitly based on male-typical physiology. One bit of evidence for this is the disproportionate value of jumps relative to spins and spirals.

I have no conclusive thoughts on this. It might be nice if the scale of values resulted in the top female skaters earning roughly the same number of points as the top male skaters.

Different scales already happens, with PCS factoring. Men's PCS are multipled by a factor of 1.0 for the SP and 2.0 for the FS, while the factoring for ladies is 0.8 and 1.6, respectively. They do this so that ideally, TES and PCS will each account for roughly 50% of the total scores in both disciplines (of course it doesn't work out so perfectly). So while the TES values are nominally the same for male and female skaters (a triple lutz is marked 6.0 points for both), the same jump is actually already worth more for the ladies relative to how much they will score in PCS.

Or using a better non-jump example: the difference between a level 3 and level 4 step sequence, something often achieved by both male and female skaters, is 0.6 (3.9-3.3). In the short program, that difference is equal to 0.12 points per PCS component for men (0.6/5 components). For ladies, that difference is equal to 0.15 points per PCS component (0.6/0.8 factor/5 components).

Personally, I'd rather see PCS being scaled the same for men and ladies, and having the technical scale of values be different, rather than the other way around. The problem with PCS factoring is that it assumes all technical elements have the same difficulty difference between males and females. But as you pointed out, spins and spirals come easier for women. Having different technical scales and the same PCS factoring can better accommodate these difficulty differences. In that system, a triple axel can be worth more points in ladies than in men, but a layback spin can be worth more points for men than ladies. While many ladies routinely achieve level 4 layback spins, even a level 2 layback/layside would be really impressive and just as difficult for a male skater (and could be a choreographic highlight for some lyrical programs), but under the current system it's not worth spins that can't potentially score level 4. Make a level 2 layback worth more for men, and spins could get more interesting.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
We can barely get ladies to do 3Flip or 3Lutz and as we know, you don't need them to win a World Title so why on earth would anyone risk a Quad?

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
Different scales already happens, with PCS factoring. Men's PCS are multipled by a factor of 1.0 for the SP and 2.0 for the FS, while the factoring for ladies is 0.8 and 1.6, respectively. They do this so that ideally, TES and PCS will each account for roughly 50% of the total scores in both disciplines (of course it doesn't work out so perfectly). So while the TES values are nominally the same for male and female skaters (a triple lutz is marked 6.0 points for both), the same jump is actually already worth more for the ladies relative to how much they will score in PCS.

Or using a better non-jump example: the difference between a level 3 and level 4 step sequence, something often achieved by both male and female skaters, is 0.6 (3.9-3.3). In the short program, that difference is equal to 0.12 points per PCS component for men (0.6/5 components). For ladies, that difference is equal to 0.15 points per PCS component (0.6/0.8 factor/5 components).

Yes, I am aware of how program components are factored differently in different disciplines. But I'm not sure that what you say follows from this actually follows. The value of technical elements for women is exaggerated in the way you say only when looking at single elements, one at a time. But since women are limited relative to men in how many elements they may perform and in how long they may skate, technical elements are not worth more for them overall relative to men. (In fact, isn't that the very point of factoring the program components?)

Personally, I'd rather see PCS being scaled the same for men and ladies, and having the technical scale of values be different, rather than the other way around. The problem with PCS factoring is that it assumes all technical elements have the same difficulty difference between males and females. But as you pointed out, spins and spirals come easier for women. Having different technical scales and the same PCS factoring can better accommodate these difficulty differences. In that system, a triple axel can be worth more points in ladies than in men, but a layback spin can be worth more points for men than ladies. While many ladies routinely achieve level 4 layback spins, even a level 2 layback/layside would be really impressive and just as difficult for a male skater (and could be a choreographic highlight for some lyrical programs), but under the current system it's not worth spins that can't potentially score level 4. Make a level 2 layback worth more for men, and spins could get more interesting.

Love this idea.

Last edited:
If we take into account which was performed first in history, that would suggest that 3Lutz is easier the 3flip for both men and women, but I don't think anyone is making that argument. Or that loop was easier than toe loop even though Button did it first.

That is quite interesting, Brandon Mroz is in the record book with a quad Lutz, and Michael Weiss came close a couple if times, but no quad loop or quad flip yet.

Maybe some jumps are harder to learn in the first place, but once you get them adding another rotation is not as hard as it is for some other jumps. Or maybe training and coaching methods take time to catch up with the cutting edge, so that what is easier or harder for the pioneer might not be the same as what is easier of harder for "everybody" later on.

Yes, I am aware of how program components are factored differently in different disciplines. But I'm not sure that what you say follows from this actually follows. The value of technical elements for women is exaggerated in the way you say only when looking at single elements, one at a time. But since women are limited relative to men in how many elements they may perform and in how long they may skate, technical elements are not worth more for them overall relative to men. (In fact, isn't that the very point of factoring the program components?)

I think the ideal theoretic ratios are starting to be thrown off by all the men doing quads, without a corresponding increase in technical difficulty on the ladies' side.

Just to take an example, I looked at the top ten from Four Continents. Granted, there was quite a variation on the men's side, because the top two, Sawyer and Aaron had huge TES and not much PCS, while Takahashi had the reverse, and also Hanyu's TES wasn't as high as expected. But anyway...

Men

Average TES = 74, average PCS 75 (pretty much perfect)

Ladies

Average TES = 55, average PCS = 58 (not too bad)

Per cent increase of men's scores over ladies' (it should be 25% higher, according to the 1,6 versus 2.0 multiplier rule)

TES: Men are 34% higher than ladies. PCS (including multiplier): Men are 29% higher. Without multiplier men are 4% higher)

Ladies need get those triple-triples cranking. :yes:

Last edited: