Best Ladies jumper(s) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Best Ladies jumper(s)

naan

Rinkside
What's the criteria? Height? Speed? Flow? Variety of jumps and combos? Difficulty? Consistency? etc.
It can be different depends on which criteria it is.
No doubt Midori is the best jumper, better than most of guys! :bow:
Among the current ladies, I think Gold and Yuna are the best overall - speed, flow, height, distance, great air position, difficulty, consistency (Yuna is very consistent), etc. Liza is a great jumper, too. In terms of qualities, I think Caro has amazing jumps!

Well--no surprise--I disagree. If it's at someone's best, no matter how inconsistent or how short the career, then of course Tonya Harding should be right up there with Midori. But I would never put her among the very best because she was so inconsistent. She would do a triple axel and then later pop a double axel in the same program. It is true that Yu Na doesn't do the loop. I did not take that into account. But her 3-3s and her lutzes are textbook and she rarely misses. The reason I still put Yu Na second to Midori is because her longevity with her difficult 3-3s shows that she really had the jump. Who else can say that? Tara Lipinski? I think her career was too short to know for sure. Shizuka's 3-3s were probably under-rotated and she didn't always do them. I think Yu Na's consistency with her 3-3s more than makes up for the fact that she doesn't do the loop.

In addition to a very short career, Tara also had very low jumps. I can't imagine they would have gotten any bigger even if she had remained healthy and been able to continue skating.

I wouldn't dismiss Shizuka that quickly, though. She didn't always underrotate, she kept her triple-triples well-maintained through a long career, and she also had quite a large repertoire of different triple-triples. I wouldn't put her above Midori and YuNa (my 1 and 2), but I'd list her as one of the best jumpers.

macy

Record Breaker
i'm not going to evaluate skaters like midori and surya since i was little when they skated, so i will do the ones in recent years. my best:

yuna: fast, BIG, fearless jumps. she flies into them and is so consistent and has hard content minus the loop.
mao: very light, high jumps. she floats and makes them look so easy.
caro: very powerful, also fearless jumps for the most part. very big and lovely air position.
rachael: i know a lot of people wouldn't agree, but she is (was :cry:) very consistent and "reliable rachael." she always delivered and almost never fell or pop and made jumping look easy.
gracie: for obvious reasons. big, floaty, effortless jumps with perfect technique. consistent for the most part. difficult jump content also.
adelina: she is fairly inconsistent, but when she hits they are gorgeous. nice and big.
julia: again, not huge jumps, but consistent and nice to look at.
liza: perfect technique, SO consistent, hard jump content.
ashley: i have always been a fan of her feet in the air, they are very neat and her jumps are good sized. they've become much better in the past couple years with her improved consistency.
agnes: inconsistent but very powerful and huge jumps.
courtney: like someone else said, huge but dirty jumps. they need major polishing but they are HUGE.

ForeverFish

Medalist
When Gracie jumps a difficult 3-3 as beautifully and consistently as Yu Na has since she first came on the scene around six years ago, then I will agree with you.

Gracie at her best is better than Yuna at her best, IMO. And if you're set on comparing them based on the longevity of their careers, then I doubt you'll ever agree with me. :)

prettykeys

Medalist
I just hope that one day, Gracie Gold will declare at a press conference that YuNa Kim deserved to be on the podium with her. ;) :laugh:

teheheehehee Sorry I couldn't resist! I like them both!!!

skatel80

On the Ice
I have to admit that I am shocked that surya is making any lists as one of the best jumpers, I mean I loved to watch her and she was a great entertainer but it wasnt just her take offs, she under rotated...alot . It wasnt just the quad attempts (Though I always admired her for going for them) the triple triples were ur,d most of the time and also the flips and lutzes were also often under rotated and she had those stiff landings aswell.
I think Miki is very under rated as a jumper and also as a skater in general, her jumps were things of beauty.
Sorry JMO

I think it's a bit early to put anyone ahead of YuNa, except for Midori Ito, who's ahead of everyone including some of the men.

mary01

Final Flight
Mao Asada
Midori Ito
Miki Ando

I chose those women because of the unbelievable jump content they have displayed through there career!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's a bit early to put anyone ahead of YuNa, except for Midori Ito, who's ahead of everyone including some of the men.

I have to laugh at the people who think Gracie Gold is a better jumper than Yu Na, based on one long program--at a competition where she missed her 3-3 in the short program. And I'm not even a big Yu Na fan! Yu Na's ability to pull off those triple-triples, in the long and short programs, in nearly every competition she has been in since she came on the scene, has been nothing short of amazing.

Here is Gracie, at age 16, at the WTT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQh4zMQDLSI The potential is clearly there, but she needs to land her 3-3 to really be mentioned in the same category as Yu Na.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I guess "better jumper" isn't the right word. Better quality jumping should be used instead. In term of quality, Gracie's jumps are better than Yuna's jumps. But Yuna's shown she's more consistent.

McIce

Rinkside
I guess "better jumper" isn't the right word. Better quality jumping should be used instead. In term of quality, Gracie's jumps are better than Yuna's jumps. But Yuna's shown she's more consistent.

Let's not just make conclusions without any evidence, OK?

I don't see how Gracie's jumps are better than Kim's. Please show us some examples.

I can understand claiming Gracie is more all-around jumper because of mastering all 5 triples, but comparing what they are doing right now... I don't get your conclusion.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Let's not just make conclusions without any evidence, OK?

I don't see how Gracie's jumps are better than Kim's. Please show us some examples.

I can understand claiming Gracie is more all-around jumper because of mastering all 5 triples, but comparing what they are doing right now... I don't get your conclusion.

Go back and read previous posts. Examples are there.

McIce

Rinkside
Go back and read previous posts. Examples are there.

Show me which example?

If you are talking about 3lz-3t, then show me a clip of Gracie's best 3lz-3t that is better than Kim's.

During 09-10 season, Kim's 3lz-3t is at least as good as Gracie's. The speed into the combo, the distance, the flow were all better than Gracie's. What Gracie did better in national was the height, but it's not like Kim under-rotated.

So considering everything, please show me a link and illustrate why Gracie's jumps is better. Or better, compare all the other triple jumps? I'll give you that Gracie has much better 3lo although not that consistent, which is why I said she's a better all-around jumper.

prettykeys

Medalist
During 09-10 season, Kim's 3lz-3t is at least as good as Gracie's. The speed into the combo, the distance, the flow were all better than Gracie's. What Gracie did better in national was the height, but it's not like Kim under-rotated.

So considering everything, please show me a link and illustrate why Gracie's jumps is better. Or better, compare all the other triple jumps? I'll give you that Gracie has much better 3lo although not that consistent, which is why I said she's a better all-around jumper.
Well, uh, height is a factor in considering the quality of a jump. So maybe some people like Gold's 3-3's better for their height.

Others seem to prefer YuNa's proven track record of consistency.

There's nothing wrong with people having different preferences in what they look for in jumps.

McIce

Rinkside
Well, uh, height is a factor in considering the quality of a jump. So maybe some people like Gold's 3-3's better for their height.

There's nothing wrong with people having different preferences in what they look for in jumps.

I'm not saying it's not a factor. It IS a very important factor when you evaluate the quality of the jumps. However, when you say xx's jumps are better than yy's, we have to make some models to rank. Obviously, ice coverage, speed, height, landing position, take-off position, rotations are all important. You can't say one's jumps are better, simply because of one factor. It's not objective. It's called biased sample and bad analysis.

If we try to build a linear model, we should take all the things into account. Assigning the weight is another story, though.

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker

And that's the beauty of discussing: about this topic, it just depends on what you personally like about the jumps...

McIce

Rinkside
And that's the beauty of discussing: about this topic, it just depends on what you personally like about the jumps...

Like I said in the post above yours, then it's not called quality evaluation, it's called personal bias.

FlattFan shouldn't say 'In term of quality, Gracie's jumps are better than Yuna's jumps.' She should say 'In terms of my preference, I like Gracie's jumps better than Kim's.'

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Like I said in the post above yours, then it's not called quality evaluation, it's called personal bias.

FlattFan shouldn't say 'In term of quality, Gracie's jumps are better than Yuna's jumps.' She should say 'In terms of my preference, I like Gracie's jumps better than Kim's.'
Actually, that's why, in the opening post of this thread, I wrote "What do you think?" and not "Which are the best Ladies jumpers?", since this is a discussion, and we can't pretend to be right in everything we say: it's just our perspective!

christinaskater

Medalist
1. Midori Ito
2. Yu-Na Kim/ Shizuka Arakawa
3. Miki Ando
4. Mao Asada
5. Gracie Gold
6. Irina Slutskaya
7. Tonya Harding
8. Carolina Kostner
9. Michelle Kwan - beautiful landing positions and consistency!
10. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva/ Kristi Yamaguchi

Last edited: