Worlds travel tips | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Worlds travel tips

Scrufflet

Final Flight
It's sad to say but I too have had problems with Skate Canada and a lot of event locales and it's like they just do something once and learn (or sometimes they don't) while they're doing it! I think that the best service I ever had was in Florida where Hospitality people really got it, everywhere I went. I'm sorry to say that that kind of thing is really spotty here in Canada. That having been said, the Guest Services Coordinator at Budweiser has really gone above and beyond for me. I know that when my friend and I get to London, there will be obstacles but we are determined to focus on the World's experience and besides, if anyone gives us any trouble, my friend is a retired union negotiator. She won't stand for nonsense!
In the meantime, serious suggestion. Check out CBC. Rick Mercer, This Hour Has 22 Minutes, Ron James Show, George Stroumboulopoulos, all on tv. Listen to Jian Gomeshi, on CBC radio (99.1) .

waterblades

On the Ice
Anyone know how long (roughly) the entire free skate program is? I'm particularly asking for the Men's on Friday. I'm trying to see if it's possible to catch the bus to leave rather than driving as I won't be staying in a hotel in London.

While I'm at it, what about the short program?
I don't think they know for sure yet, I think the deadline to register an athlete is next week.

waterblades

On the Ice
London is a small town. It might be busy during the Worlds, but generally it is very quiet. If you want a lot of people in the street you need to try downtown Toronto.
I consider this area of Canada safer than many parts of the US, but good and bad people are everywhere, so don't worry.

Toronto is the largest city in Canada with over 3million people.

London is a large city we have over 360,000 residents and are the 10th largest city in Canada.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
That's about the size of the Spokane -CDA metro area where I live near. Its a good size and probably has some very nice restaurants to try out...so much food, so little time.

Toronto is the largest city in Canada with over 3million people.

London is a large city we have over 360,000 residents and are the 10th largest city in Canada.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Travel tip number 85. ATT Gophones work in Canada. Most other pre-paid phones wont. Make sure you know the charges your company will access for using Canadian airtime.
Travel tip number 86. visit your medical insurance website and see how they want you to handle getting care in Canada.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://www.theledger.com/article/20130216/NEWSCHIEF/130219468/1134?p=2&tc=pg

Reverse travel tips. Always check for new laws where you're going before you leave home.

Canadian friends of ours who winter in FL are freaking out. FL passed a law which requires you to buy something called an "International Driver's Permit" before you leave home. This can be purchased in Canada for $25...but not in Florida. FL thinks this is OK, since they are not enforcing the law yet (if ever).

Our friends are concerned that if they get in a car accident, their insurance won't pay because somehow they will be tagged as not having a valid driver's license.

It's a mess. No one really seems to know why the FL legislature thought they needed this law. One guess is perhaps grousing by the police about not being able to tell if cards presented to them by foreign drivers were really valid drivers' licenses in a foreign language or just photo ids for the Slovakian equivalent of Sam's Club.

waterblades

On the Ice

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, one never knows....and conditions can change fast over a week. Plus one never knows how cold or hot arenas are. Layering is good! I wish Londong quite weather. Boston really has been hammered....I wish them quiet weather for their nats next year.
Great suggestion, also check the weather just before you come we can either be cold, with lots of snow that week, or warm spring temperatures and a light jacket is all that is needed.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html
Wow...that is interesting...I found this website.....seems many countries think it is a good idea.....but I think it should be adopted for the whole of the US and with some lead time, of course.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20130216/NEWSCHIEF/130219468/1134?p=2&tc=pg

Reverse travel tips. Always check for new laws where you're going before you leave home.

Canadian friends of ours who winter in FL are freaking out. FL passed a law which requires you to buy something called an "International Driver's Permit" before you leave home. This can be purchased in Canada for $25...but not in Florida. FL thinks this is OK, since they are not enforcing the law yet (if ever).

Our friends are concerned that if they get in a car accident, their insurance won't pay because somehow they will be tagged as not having a valid driver's license.

It's a mess. No one really seems to know why the FL legislature thought they needed this law. One guess is perhaps grousing by the police about not being able to tell if cards presented to them by foreign drivers were really valid drivers' licenses in a foreign language or just photo ids for the Slovakian equivalent of Sam's Club.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Travel tip Number 87. I am a smart phone newbie. My smart phone is only "smart" over WiFi as I am too thrifty to pay for data, only pay as you go voice and text. Well, I just found out my new smart phone has a button called "WiFi Calling" You connect to the hotel's free wifi, and you can call home from Canada for the phone's usual 10 cents a minute instead of the .59 cents a minute roam fee. How cheep....errrr....thrifty is that? :laugh: Chris being dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century. (they aint gonna get me into the 21st cause it is too scary there)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Way cool! Hope there are good bars on my WiFi phone inside the arena proper. Nothing like calling home though a WiFi for 10 cents a minute. Ear bug folks at Omaha were having problems with propogation from the transmitter antennas. Some of us had to drape the ear bug cord (which is the reciever antenna) over our heads to hear them.
Travel tip 88. There will e free Wireless at the areana and around downtown durning the event.

JAK

Spectator
As I understand it there will not be ear bugs at worlds. There were no bugs at Canadians this year so I ask Skate Canada's Debbie Wilkes about she told me that they've gone away from them and plan to have it as part of their iphone app but it might not be ready for Worlds.

CoyoteChris is you need a friendly face or advice I'm in section 108

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
JAK, Congratulations on your first post!
And thanks so much for the info, but it's kind of sad. For one thing, lots of people don't have an iphone.
What no Droid version of the app???

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hey JAK, thanks for that info....frankly, I am a bit suprised as it worked out so well at the Olympics.....As an electronics tech, I cant wait to see 300+++ people using their RF devices on the cell phone system listening to a tech controler at the same time but maybe things have advanced after I retired. Jimmy told me at Nats in the US that David Kirby wouldnt be doing the tech controller channel at Worlds and it appears Jimmy wont either. If you see me, say hi. Dont believe Doris that I look like Dracula with bigger fangs....I am easy to spot. I am a tall thin 64 year old male with a mustache and a ball cap with a buffalo on it. I can just about guarrantee I will be the only one there that looks like that! LOL!
As I understand it there will not be ear bugs at worlds. There were no bugs at Canadians this year so I ask Skate Canada's Debbie Wilkes about she told me that they've gone away from them and plan to have it as part of their iphone app but it might not be ready for Worlds.

CoyoteChris is you need a friendly face or advice I'm in section 108

waterblades

On the Ice

I hope they have it ready for worlds, I loved using that system at Nationals!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
travel tip 89. Carry your prescription drugs in their bottles. If you have a medical emergency, the medics need to know what you are taking...not a bad idea to carry copies of your precscriptions, too.