Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 42

Thread: Worlds travel tips

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    130
    I live in Canada for quite a long time, but I have a European background. I found Canadians quite friendly and helpful if you really need some help.
    The US $ and CAD are quite on par. All the banks here have US dollars and there are bank machines that have US cash. I know you actually need CAD. Many stores in cities around the border accept US $, but I would not count on that too much. When I came here, I used my european cards without any glitches, but I did not care about the fees. The fees were OK from my point of view. If you drive here, pay attention that we use Km/h for speed, litters for gas and generally metric system in public places/inscriptions. Most of the stores also display weight in pounds/kg. Most of the prices are higher in Canada...
    Other than that I found Canada being quite similar to US cities around the border.
    London is a small town. It might be busy during the Worlds, but generally it is very quiet. If you want a lot of people in the street you need to try downtown Toronto.
    I consider this area of Canada safer than many parts of the US, but good and bad people are everywhere, so do't worry.
    I wish you a very happy trip, and enjoy every moment when you come here.
    I live in Mississauga, a city part of Greater Toronto Area (GTA). That's 170 km away from London.
    Last edited by Sabrina; 02-13-2013 at 06:52 PM.

  2. #17
    Custom Title starryxskies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    208
    Anyone know how long (roughly) the entire free skate program is? I'm particularly asking for the Men's on Friday. I'm trying to see if it's possible to catch the bus to leave rather than driving as I won't be staying in a hotel in London.

    While I'm at it, what about the short program?

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    I am flying on United. They are the only US airline that flys from Spokane all the way, with stops and hubs, to London. I figure if flights go "south", they will take care of me.
    As an accidental tourist, I am going to try certain things and see what happens....I will take Canadian money but try US money first, for instance. Will write up a report. No time to or desire to take in other activities....or cities....
    I am going to try and be open minded about Canada in my report and I have a friend who has nothing but nice things to say about Canadians....however, I have way more friends with not so nice things to say about the border guards and how Canadian citizens treat Americans that I have to wonder what the truth is? We shall see!

    I think that you will find that most of us are pretty much like you. You are going to find louts everywhere in the world but also tons of wonderful ones too. Border guards are a breed of their own! Some are great; some are terrible. I can see how someone who has just been grilled by a border guard is going to be angry and expect the next person they meet to treat them the same way and then the nastiness continues. In Canada, some things will drive you bonkers and hopefully, some things will delight you. If you find yourself feeling negative duringWorlds I'll be happy to tell you where our seats are so you can get a proper Canadian welcome from us. Your first travel experience out of the U.S. should be a good one!

  4. #19
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,374
    I like to think the best of people till I see differently. There are TSA agents here in the US that are becomming rude and obnoxious, I suppose in part due to they having been yelled at by making old crippled men take off their belts and hold their hands in the air while their pants fall down (dont ask me how I know this). The people of Omaha were wonderful at our nationals. On the other side, I could tell you stories about people in rural Indiana and Illinois. I am sure I will enjoy learning about Londoners. Do I have some bad experiences with the folks at SkateCanada? Sure I do. I dont expect to be told that all event ticket holders will ride the bus free, then have my emails ignored by the guy who told me that (a "Communications Assistant") when the fine folks at London Transit who have been nothing but helpful tell me only credentialed folk can ride free) I do wish the London tourism board great success with their event. If they feel the public transportation system plus cabs will work, that is fine with me. But, like the Greensboro US nationals organization committee found out, shuttleing 1,000 or so fans back and forth every day, especially when the event lets out at the same time, may not be quite as simple as one thinks. Greensboro rose to the challange and within a day saw the error of their ways and made things right. I hope the Tourism board will rise to any challange and make us want to return. I am sure Londoners themselves will be just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    [/B]
    I think that you will find that most of us are pretty much like you. You are going to find louts everywhere in the world but also tons of wonderful ones too. Border guards are a breed of their own! Some are great; some are terrible. I can see how someone who has just been grilled by a border guard is going to be angry and expect the next person they meet to treat them the same way and then the nastiness continues. In Canada, some things will drive you bonkers and hopefully, some things will delight you. If you find yourself feeling negative duringWorlds I'll be happy to tell you where our seats are so you can get a proper Canadian welcome from us. Your first travel experience out of the U.S. should be a good one!

  5. #20
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,374
    Thanks! I am sure I will have a good time. I do hear about credit card glitches (our cards dont have RFI chips yet) but that is no big thing. I have $400 Canadian which should be enough mad money. I have a motorcycle buddy who I tour with who goes to Canada every year and has nothing but good things to say about Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    I live in Canada for quite a long time, but I have a European background. I found Canadians quite friendly and helpful if you really need some help.
    The US $ and CAD are quite on par. All the banks here have US dollars and there are bank machines that have US cash. I know you actually need CAD. Many stores in cities around the border accept US $, but I would not count on that too much. When I came here, I used my european cards without any glitches, but I did not care about the fees. The fees were OK from my point of view. If you drive here, pay attention that we use Km/h for speed, litters for gas and generally metric system in public places/inscriptions. Most of the stores also display weight in pounds/kg. Most of the prices are higher in Canada...
    Other than that I found Canada being quite similar to US cities around the border.
    London is a small town. It might be busy during the Worlds, but generally it is very quiet. If you want a lot of people in the street you need to try downtown Toronto.
    I consider this area of Canada safer than many parts of the US, but good and bad people are everywhere, so do't worry.
    I wish you a very happy trip, and enjoy every moment when you come here.
    I live in Mississauga, a city part of Greater Toronto Area (GTA). That's 170 km away from London.

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    322
    It's sad to say but I too have had problems with Skate Canada and a lot of event locales and it's like they just do something once and learn (or sometimes they don't) while they're doing it! I think that the best service I ever had was in Florida where Hospitality people really got it, everywhere I went. I'm sorry to say that that kind of thing is really spotty here in Canada. That having been said, the Guest Services Coordinator at Budweiser has really gone above and beyond for me. I know that when my friend and I get to London, there will be obstacles but we are determined to focus on the World's experience and besides, if anyone gives us any trouble, my friend is a retired union negotiator. She won't stand for nonsense!
    In the meantime, serious suggestion. Check out CBC. Rick Mercer, This Hour Has 22 Minutes, Ron James Show, George Stroumboulopoulos, all on tv. Listen to Jian Gomeshi, on CBC radio (99.1) .

  7. #22
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by starryxskies View Post
    Anyone know how long (roughly) the entire free skate program is? I'm particularly asking for the Men's on Friday. I'm trying to see if it's possible to catch the bus to leave rather than driving as I won't be staying in a hotel in London.

    While I'm at it, what about the short program?
    I don't think they know for sure yet, I think the deadline to register an athlete is next week.

  8. #23
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    London is a small town. It might be busy during the Worlds, but generally it is very quiet. If you want a lot of people in the street you need to try downtown Toronto.
    I consider this area of Canada safer than many parts of the US, but good and bad people are everywhere, so don't worry.
    .
    Toronto is the largest city in Canada with over 3million people.

    London is a large city we have over 360,000 residents and are the 10th largest city in Canada.

  9. #24
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,374
    That's about the size of the Spokane -CDA metro area where I live near. Its a good size and probably has some very nice restaurants to try out...so much food, so little time.

    Quote Originally Posted by waterblades View Post
    Toronto is the largest city in Canada with over 3million people.

    London is a large city we have over 360,000 residents and are the 10th largest city in Canada.

  10. #25
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,374
    Travel tip number 84. Even if your cell phone has a converter, a business card with a nomograph of the two different types of temperatures might be useful.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...60%3B247%3B442

  11. #26
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,374
    Travel tip number 85. ATT Gophones work in Canada. Most other pre-paid phones wont. Make sure you know the charges your company will access for using Canadian airtime.
    Travel tip number 86. visit your medical insurance website and see how they want you to handle getting care in Canada.
    Last edited by CoyoteChris; 02-17-2013 at 12:12 AM.

  12. #27
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,121
    http://www.theledger.com/article/201...1134?p=2&tc=pg

    Reverse travel tips. Always check for new laws where you're going before you leave home.

    Canadian friends of ours who winter in FL are freaking out. FL passed a law which requires you to buy something called an "International Driver's Permit" before you leave home. This can be purchased in Canada for $25...but not in Florida. FL thinks this is OK, since they are not enforcing the law yet (if ever).

    Our friends are concerned that if they get in a car accident, their insurance won't pay because somehow they will be tagged as not having a valid driver's license.

    It's a mess. No one really seems to know why the FL legislature thought they needed this law. One guess is perhaps grousing by the police about not being able to tell if cards presented to them by foreign drivers were really valid drivers' licenses in a foreign language or just photo ids for the Slovakian equivalent of Sam's Club.

  13. #28
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Travel tip number 84. Even if your cell phone has a converter, a business card with a nomograph of the two different types of temperatures might be useful.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...60%3B247%3B442
    Great suggestion, also check the weather just before you come we can either be cold, with lots of snow that week, or warm spring temperatures and a light jacket is all that is needed.

  14. #29
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,374
    Yes, one never knows....and conditions can change fast over a week. Plus one never knows how cold or hot arenas are. Layering is good! I wish Londong quite weather. Boston really has been hammered....I wish them quiet weather for their nats next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by waterblades View Post
    Great suggestion, also check the weather just before you come we can either be cold, with lots of snow that week, or warm spring temperatures and a light jacket is all that is needed.

  15. #30
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,374
    http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html
    Wow...that is interesting...I found this website.....seems many countries think it is a good idea.....but I think it should be adopted for the whole of the US and with some lead time, of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    http://www.theledger.com/article/201...1134?p=2&tc=pg

    Reverse travel tips. Always check for new laws where you're going before you leave home.

    Canadian friends of ours who winter in FL are freaking out. FL passed a law which requires you to buy something called an "International Driver's Permit" before you leave home. This can be purchased in Canada for $25...but not in Florida. FL thinks this is OK, since they are not enforcing the law yet (if ever).

    Our friends are concerned that if they get in a car accident, their insurance won't pay because somehow they will be tagged as not having a valid driver's license.

    It's a mess. No one really seems to know why the FL legislature thought they needed this law. One guess is perhaps grousing by the police about not being able to tell if cards presented to them by foreign drivers were really valid drivers' licenses in a foreign language or just photo ids for the Slovakian equivalent of Sam's Club.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •