Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quintuple toe-loop?

#TeamAUS

Quintuple toe-loop?

What's going to be the next big thing in Men's skating. In the 80s-90s the 3A was the big TRIPLE AXEL!!!!!!!!!!!. Now it's just the 'triple axel'. The same thing is happening with the Quad. Used to be THE QUAD!!!!!!!!! Now it's just the quad.

I wonder what's going to be the next thing? What do you think it will be??

Custom Title
    Mishin has said that if anyone will be able to do a quintuple, there will have to a change in equipment, lighter skates for one thing. Considering the lack of updating equipment over the years, I doubt we will see one.

Yes, I think that it would require lighter skates and blades, and a man with the same talent for jumping that Midori has had in the Ladies: when the most difficult jump that most of the Ladies could do without falling or UR was a triple loop, Midori was landing 3As, so a male Midori could be able to land a quintuple toe/salchow when all the others are doing quads...

Custom Title
    Before we get to quints (especially quints that wouldn't be downgraded) I'm sure the sport would need to progress through it becoming commonplace to have both quad toe and quad salchow; to quad loop, flip, and lutz becoming unremarkable; to triple-quad and maybe quad-quad combinations; to quad axel

How many of those steps along the way would be possible with today's equipment?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Before we get to quints (especially quints that wouldn't be downgraded) I'm sure the sport would need to progress through it becoming commonplace to have both quad toe and quad salchow; to quad loop, flip, and lutz becoming unremarkable; to triple-quad and maybe quad-quad combinations; to quad axel

How many of those steps along the way would be possible with today's equipment?
    Well we've seen some quad-quad practice attempts from skaters, and I've seen a practice video of Plushenko trying a 3A-4T, all landed on one foot but badly UR'ed on the 2nd quad. But if you figure that a 4T is way harder than a 3T-3T, a 5T would be wayyyy harder than a 4T-4T. I think a 4T-4T can be done with the current equipment, and the quads through the lutz have already been attempted or completed, but the 4A and 5T I can't see being done with the skates that are currently used.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    the quads through the lutz have already been attempted or completed
    I know brandon mroz have done 4Lz, and Daisuke tried 4F, who has tried 4Loop?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I think Mroz tried a 4Lo, but has not had one ratified.

The brutally tough competition is definitely enough to push men these days to go for the harder quads (loop, lutz and flip) and quad combos, but quints? They're not even on the Scale of Values.

I thought Kevin Reynolds tried the quad loop once, but I could be wrong.

honestly it would be cool to see a quint in theory, but i really would not like to see anyone attempt one...there are already enough injuries just doing triples.

Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    I know brandon mroz have done 4Lz, and Daisuke tried 4F, who has tried 4Loop?
    Like blue_idealist said, I remember Reynolds tried a 4 loop at nationals, probably 2012. He attempted 3 different quads then (toeloop, loop and salchow) but I think loop was not completed. Either URed or with a stepout.

Well, I think it's really unlikely that we will see a quintuple jump. The next big thing in men's skating could be a 3A-4T or even more probable a consistent 4T-3T-3L. The second combination is a huge point gainer. I think Plushy tried it several times. Like others said, 4T-4T is more likely to be done than 5T. But is it really needed? It would require an enormous amount of time to train it and the skater would risk having a serious injury. It just woudn't pay off, better practise SS and PCS in general. This season showed it's better to be a consistent jumper rather than to go for more difficult elements (ladies in general).

Custom Title
    Ronnie Robertson was reportedly attempting quad loops in the early 1970s, as a 30-something pro skater. Obviously not in competition, and I don't know how close to rotated they are. So that's the earliest I've heard of that jump being attempted.

Roman Serov supposedly planned to attempt them in competition in the early 2000s, but the one competition I saw broadcast where he was set to try it, he ended up doubling out. I don't think he came any closer in any other competition program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherryy View Post
    Like blue_idealist said, I remember Reynolds tried a 4 loop at nationals, probably 2012. He attempted 3 different quads then (toeloop, loop and salchow) but I think loop was not completed. Either URed or with a stepout.

Well, I think it's really unlikely that we will see a quintuple jump. The next big thing in men's skating could be a 3A-4T or even more probable a consistent 4T-3T-3L. The second combination is a huge point gainer. I think Plushy tried it several times. Like others said, 4T-4T is more likely to be done than 5T. But is it really needed? It would require an enormous amount of time to train it and the skater would risk having a serious injury. It just woudn't pay off, better practise SS and PCS in general. This season showed it's better to be a consistent jumper rather than to go for more difficult elements (ladies in general).
    You know, you've just provided a wonderful rationale for me to like CoP. Because it stresses all-around excellence and has point values for things like skating skills, it doesn't encourage people to tear their bodies apart attempting quadruple axels and quintuple whatevers. Thank goodness! I'm still trembling over Daisuke's knee injury in the last Olympic cycle.

Custom Title
    This past nationals reminded me of the lack-luster we saw at the 99 Nationals.... (Splat-fest!)

I sure miss the excitement of nationals, especially in 97, 98, 00, etc. when there so many good performances (whether it was technical, elegance, up-comers).

Custom Title
    I think the adjectives run like this :

Single (1)
    Double (2)
    Triple (3)
    Quadruple (4)
    Quintuple or Pentuple (5) I think I've also seen quinteple
    Sextuple or Hextuple (6) "sextuple" will trip up some censoring programs.
    Septuple (7)
    Octuple (8)
    Nonuple (9)
    Decuple (10)
    Hendecuple or Undecuple (11)
    Duodecuple (12)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast