New bus info just in for worlds | Golden Skate

New bus info just in for worlds

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Got this e-mail in March from Allan Gordon, Communications assistant to SkateCanada
Hi Chris, (ref buses and shuttles)

“Thank you for your interest and your inquiry.

At this moment, we have not yet decided whether a shuttle bus option will be made available. If a shuttle bus service will exist, there will likely be a fee to ride this bus which would be unique to those who have tickets to the World Championships. In addition, there would be a chance that the shuttle service may run equally or less frequently than the public transportation.

However, the great news is that the local bus system will be free to those who present their Worlds2013 pass.
As of now, this is all of the information we have available. Please note that any information regarding a shuttle bus is tentative and still to be determined. In order to stay informed, be sure to keep up to date on www.worlds2013.ca and www.skatecanada.ca as well as Skate Canada on Facebook and twitter (@skatecanada).

Thanks again for your inquiry. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.”

Today, I got this….From London Transit

Hi Chris:
Thank you for emailing London Transit. The participates and volunteers will have special passes to board the bus but as a ticket holder you will have to pay. You can pay exact cash which is $2.75 or adults tickets which sell at 5 tickets for $9.50. You can purchase the tickets at the White Oaks Mall at the International News Stand or the Lottery Tickets Centre. If you require additional information please don't hesitate to contact customer service at 519-451-1340.
Thank you,
Sally McManus, Customer Service Representative

Don't you just love it when a high ranking person from an event tells us one thing and the transportation system tells us another????
Go to the official website, click on the London tab, and then click on the Transportation tab. You will get a parking map. That’s it. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Thanks for this info! I spoke with the Guest Services coordinator a few days ago re access and asked about parking. She said that it will be hard to get direct access to the area as parts will be cordoned off. We both came to the conclusion that parking would be so limited that getting a car in would be preferable. I also had to change 2 of my tickets because the original seats were not easy for someone with mobility issues. Chris, you might want to contact this person; she was enormously helpful.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks! I am now told by London Transit that Skate Canada is incorrect. The buses are free only for skaters and officials. All others pay $2.75 exact change or get tickets at the White Oaks Mall. I of course e-mailed the SkateCanada Communications assistant back but he blew me off.....if you look at your ticket book, and read all the fine print, you will see that there will be some street closures on the bus routes....since they are not putting much up on their website, I guess what ever happens happens.
I have to agree with Dave Dash of Dash tours. This is his guess...the reason London was chosen was because Hockey is king and all big arenas have a hockey team tied to them. If they get in the March playoffs, that team has a legal right to the arena.

Just sent off this e-mail to find out whats what to LT.

"Thanks, Sally, that is very helpful and good information.

I see that there are actually 2 bus routes I can use to the arena from the White Oaks Mall, the 4 and the 13.
Do you see any route changes on account of Dundas, Ridout, Talbot and King streets being closed for the event?

Thanks,
Chris

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 15:09:28 +0000 "London Transit, Commission" <[email protected]> writes:
> Hi Chris:
>
> Thank you for emailing London Transit. The participates and
> volunteers will have special passes to board the bus but as a ticket
> holder you will have to pay. You can pay exact cash which is $2.75
> or adults tickets which sell at 5 tickets for $9.50. You can
> purchase the tickets at the White Oaks Mall at the International
> News Stand or the Lottery Tickets Centre. If you require additional
> information please don't hesitate to contact customer service at
> 519-451-1340.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Sally McManus
> Customer Service Representative
>
Thanks for this info! I spoke with the Guest Services coordinator a few days ago re access and asked about parking. She said that it will be hard to get direct access to the area as parts will be cordoned off. We both came to the conclusion that parking would be so limited that getting a car in would be preferable. I also had to change 2 of my tickets because the original seats were not easy for someone with mobility issues. Chris, you might want to contact this person; she was enormously helpful.

Last edited:

waterblades

On the Ice
T
I have to agree with Dave Dash of Dash tours. This is his guess...the reason London was chosen was because Hockey is king and all big arenas have a hockey team tied to them. If they get in the March playoffs, that team has a legal right to the arena.

London was chosen, because they have a great arena(top 3 in the world for it's size) huge volunteer base, and distance to the US. Don't 90% train in Detroit?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It may well be a great arena for a very small arena....
it may well have a huge volunteer base....
nobody cares about the distance to the US for US athletes......except a few US skaters....
David Dash is a Canadian who is way smarter about this sort of thing than I am....
I wish London the best of luck for a profitable, safe event full of happy skaters and fans....

T

London was chosen, because they have a great arena(top 3 in the world for it's size) huge volunteer base, and distance to the US. Don't 90% train in Detroit?

VGL

Rinkside
In 2001 both the Vancouver Grizzlies (NBA) and the Vancouver Canucks vacated their home arena for Worlds. The Calgary Flames survived 2006 Worlds. I'm sure the OHL's London Knights will survive Worlds 2013. They play their last home game on March 3.

And don't the NHL playoffs normally start in April?