Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: US Nationals Exhibition Gala Broadcast

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I was only able to catch the last 4 routines - Castelli & Shnapir, Max Aaron, Ashley Wagner, & Davis & White

Castelli & Shnapir did their "I'm Feeling Good" routine with the really fabulous head banger with Marissa doing flying arm motions while being swung around by the feet. They've had this number for quite a while, but it's always thrilling.

Aaron skated, wearing a white T Shirt with sleeve tattoos (or else he really has sleeve tattoos) to "Black Betty." I believe he has had this exhibition for a while. He must have been tired or something, because most of the jumps were not well landed-I've lost track of the schedule, but was the men's just before the gala? If so I quite understand. He had some interaction or other with a fan in the audience.

I've got to admit, I don't remember what Ashley skated to at all.

Meryl & Charlie skated to "Melt Into You," a brand new number for them. (And thank goodness, because I was way beyond tired of their Adele number.) They have been working on the "acting on ice" part of ice dance this year, and this exhibition definitely is part of that effort. You could see the newness in spots, but I thought it was fabulous too.
    The tattoo sleeves were fake lol. I saw them up close.

I actually thought it was good. It was really entertaining compared to the Disson shows anyway. I can barely watch those anymore.

Saw it today. I have to say I have seen worse, but after a week's comp, I am still glad I didnt attend. Thumbs up to Vincent, the Shibs, Courtney, and Lindsay Davis who was skating "under the weather" in Mark's words.....when I first saw those tatoos it gave me quite a start!
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    The tattoo sleeves were fake lol. I saw them up close.

I actually thought it was good. It was really entertaining compared to the Disson shows anyway. I can barely watch those anymore.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    While the skaters were understandably tired during the exhibition gala, it was still fun (espec for those of us who don't have ice network) to see all the top skaters simply...skate. And of course the jumps, spins and footwork were all dialed down but unlike a Disson show, they weren't all skating to music by the same artist, ie Barry Manilow or Jewel (yawn) and didn't have to participate in cheesy routines on the ice with their entire families, most of whom can't skate. The Disson shows are almost unwatchable...overly-sentimental, schmaltz-fests.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Saw it today. I have to say I have seen worse, but after a week's comp, I am still glad I didnt attend. Thumbs up to Vincent, the Shibs, Courtney, and Lindsay Davis who was skating "under the weather" in Mark's words.....when I first saw those tatoos it gave me quite a start!
    Oh, Lindsay was sick.. that explains her glum mood when they talked to her and Mark backstage.

Any videos from the gala? I can't find any on Youtube =(

At the risk of alienating iluvtodd, I have to say I have stopped watching Disson shows. I dont like the lighting, camera editing from singer to skater and back, and the watered down programs that seem to be on small ice. BTW, at one time Barry Manilow music was played in parks in Australia at night to keep the young toughs from congrigating.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauf View Post
    While the skaters were understandably tired during the exhibition gala, it was still fun (espec for those of us who don't have ice network) to see all the top skaters simply...skate. And of course the jumps, spins and footwork were all dialed down but unlike a Disson show, they weren't all skating to music by the same artist, ie Barry Manilow or Jewel (yawn) and didn't have to participate in cheesy routines on the ice with their entire families, most of whom can't skate. The Disson shows are almost unwatchable...overly-sentimental, schmaltz-fests.

At the risk of alienating iluvtodd, I have to say I have stopped watching Disson shows. I dont like the lighting, camera editing from singer to skater and back, and the watered down programs that seem to be on small ice. BTW, at one time Barry Manilow music was played in parks in Australia at night to keep the young toughs from congrigating.....
    Chris, no offense taken. We have attended a number of the Disson shows when they come to the area, to support skating (especially if several faves are in the show). What bothers me the most, usually is the TV presentation of the shows (especially for whom gets "chacked," ridiculously repetitive ads). I definitely prefer the programs where there is recorded music since you'll get to see more of the skater that way. The company is called Disson Skating, so the emphasis should be on the skaters. I don't want to see them treated as afterthoughts. There are actually some musical guests I have liked (Bocelli, Celtic Woman, Rain - for the Beatles' Tribute, The Riverdance dancers), but I can do without the "teenybopper"/one hit wonder performers. If there's going to be a musical guest, let there be BALANCE, not just in the live show, but in the TV broadcast.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    The company is called Disson Skating, so the emphasis should be on the skaters. I don't want to see them treated as afterthoughts.
    FYI, just a couple of weeks ago, the company announced a name change to “Disson Sports & Entertainment”.
    https://twitter.com/DissonSkating/st...06996449914880

Medalist
    Funny! I've heard that some rock clubs, when trying to close for the night, play Barry Manilow's "Copacabana" in order to hustle the crowds out faster!

Custom Title
    We're sort of getting off the topic here but I had to share this. Some years ago I went to the Brian Boitano Christmas Special. It was taped at PacBell Park (where the SF Giants play) and Barry was the featured guest. They had constructed a skating rink in the outfield and our first disappointment was it was so far away from our seats that we had to content ourselves with just watching the Jumbotron. In addition to Brian skating they had Victor Petrenko and I honestly can't remember who else. It was HORRIBLE....at least when Barry sang. He was so off-key, off-tempo, etc. that he was causing problems with the skaters trying to do their programs. In fact, two of the programs were re-skated to recordings of the songs.

I agree with Coyote Chris about the Disson shows. If it's skating we should be watching the skaters - not the singers, no matter who they are.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    FYI, just a couple of weeks ago, the company announced a name change to “Disson Sports & Entertainment”.
    https://twitter.com/DissonSkating/st...06996449914880
    Yes, it's a matter of $$$$. Disson & Co are trying to marry skating with gymnastics, singers, etc., in order to enourage those interested in other sports or entertainment to their shows. Apparently skating alone just does not bring in the $$$$ as before, which is why we see less and less stops of Stars On Ice. Maybe the Olympic year will be different, but 10 US stops for SOI this year is really sad.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Yes, it's a matter of $$$$. Disson & Co are trying to marry skating with gymnastics, singers, etc., in order to enourage those interested in other sports or entertainment to their shows. Apparently skating alone just does not bring in the $$$$ as before, which is why we see less and less stops of Stars On Ice. Maybe the Olympic year will be different, but 10 US stops for SOI this year is really sad.
    Just ten stops? That is sad indeed. On those grounds, I understand why Disson gives such face time to the singers, much as I dislike that. I have tried not to look a gift horse in the mouth. Sometimes weeks go by with those shows the only ones available on TV. They're not even on cable, so they're easily accessible to me. A bird in the hand, as they say, is worth two in the bush.

(Man, I must be mentally depleted from all the cold weather. Two animal metaphors in one paragraph.)

If I really want to be a purist about skating, I'll go hunting around on YouTube and watch videos of Janet Lynn. Otherwise, at least our favorite sport turns up from time to time where we can get a glimpse of it.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by LeCygne View Post
    Any videos from the gala? I can't find any on Youtube =(
    http://www.soku.com/search_video/q_2013+us+ex_orderby_2

Actually, I forgot that watching a show live is way different than the garbage we see on TV.....I love Celtic Woman....If I saw them live at a skate, I could watch them or the skate. I have seen them live three times (I am the guy in the audience yelling, "Hayley, I want to have your baby!" (just to embarras my wife, of course) While I enjoyed Stars on Ice when SH ran it (we got seats on the ice to get the full experience) and loved Champions on Ice, once I saw a competition, I was hooked and the shows lost their luster and audience...now the comps are loosing their audiences.....tear falls...
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    Chris, no offense taken. We have attended a number of the Disson shows when they come to the area, to support skating (especially if several faves are in the show). What bothers me the most, usually is the TV presentation of the shows (especially for whom gets "chacked," ridiculously repetitive ads). I definitely prefer the programs where there is recorded music since you'll get to see more of the skater that way. The company is called Disson Skating, so the emphasis should be on the skaters. I don't want to see them treated as afterthoughts. There are actually some musical guests I have liked (Bocelli, Celtic Woman, Rain - for the Beatles' Tribute, The Riverdance dancers), but I can do without the "teenybopper"/one hit wonder performers. If there's going to be a musical guest, let there be BALANCE, not just in the live show, but in the TV broadcast.

Actually, there are only 6 (!) stops on the US SOI tour this season (2 of them have already taken place - Lake Placid, NY & Hershey, PA).

If Disson Skating is changing its name, I think that bodes even worse for skating - we'll continue to see less & less of the skaters!

A little off topic, but what did you guys think of Kurt's "Gotta Skate" shows - live/on TV?
    Last edited by iluvtodd; 02-05-2013 at 05:25 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast