Elena Radionova | Page 98 | Golden Skate

Elena Radionova

Batsuchan

Medalist
i did missed lena's IG post... thanks for sharing here!
and the last part sounds personal(?) I hope, Julia is doing fine...

Whoops, I meant to edit my original post. (Just did.) I think she's saying that she's (symbolically) holding Yulia's hands (like the coach does)...? :confused:

kaiba1986

Rinkside
In case you missed it, Lena reposted a really cute fan video of her and Yulia and had a sweet message for Yulia (Yulek):
https://www.instagram.com/p/BB9spJdwYbB/?taken-by=lenok_radionova

GoogleTranslate: "In my opinion a very nice video. PS Yulek, I'm with you !!! I hold on to your fists today."
I'm not quite sure what the last part should be... :confused:

But at any rate, sweet message from Lena! :love:

Yulia replied: "Маськa спасибо огромное" = "Maska, thanks very much." Not sure what "Maska" means? :confused:

I love to see their cute interactions! :agree:

The first part means she is wishing Yulia luck, the same as you would say "fingers crossed".

Second part Маськa, or latin transcription Moskva means Moscow. As Winky97 wrote, Russian Cup is underway and Yulia is grateful to moscow crowd for atmospere and so...

alskling

On the Ice
Second part Маськa, or latin transcription Moskva means Moscow. As Winky97 wrote, Russian Cup is underway and Yulia is grateful to moscow crowd for atmospere and so...

No.
The second part is just "sweet" name like "kitty" or "sunny". nothing more.

ps. I speak a little Russian.

Last edited:

Forpost

Rinkside
It's very strange and funny interpretation and absolutely wrong.:)
alskling is right

Batsuchan

Medalist
No.

ps. I seak a litle Russian.

Thank you alskling and Forpost!

Well, it looks like Lena has her work cut out for her if she wants to beat Satoko at Worlds. While I think she'll be able to beat Satoko very slightly on PCS, she's got to land those jumps absolutely cleanly to beat her on TES.

Though, in my opinion, the big question mark will be Mao. If Mao skates lights-out, then perhaps Satoko will be demoted to Japan #2, and the judges won't be so generous with her GOEs and PCS.

But it's too risky to rely on other skaters doing well or not doing well--Lena just really needs to nail her own programs. :yes: I guess on the plus side, Lena won't be coming in with the pressure of being a favorite...?

winky97

Medalist
Thank you alskling and Forpost!

Well, it looks like Lena has her work cut out for her if she wants to beat Satoko at Worlds. While I think she'll be able to beat Satoko very slightly on PCS, she's got to land those jumps absolutely cleanly to beat her on TES.

Though, in my opinion, the big question mark will be Mao. If Mao skates lights-out, then perhaps Satoko will be demoted to Japan #2, and the judges won't be so generous with her GOEs and PCS.

But it's too risky to rely on other skaters doing well or not doing well--Lena just really needs to nail her own programs. :yes: I guess on the plus side, Lena won't be coming in with the pressure of being a favorite...?

I am hoping Lena from Rostelcom or Russian Nats shows up. Regardless of the outcome of Worlds Lena has had a good season considering dealing with growth issues.

But if Satoko could somehow manage to beat Medvedeva, that would make me very happy since I have grown tired of Medvedeva getting away with excessive tanos and not delivering balanced programs.

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
But if Satoko could somehow manage to beat Medvedeva, that would make me very happy since I have grown tired of Medvedeva getting away with excessive tanos and not delivering balanced programs.

Satoko's fake 3-3 and two 2A-3T is far more abusing the system than Medvedeva tanos and jump layouts.

Radionova seems to get a little spooked when Satako is so close after the SP... and Satako shouldn't have been that close after the SP at the GPF as her 3T was UR as pointed out by the Eurosport guys.

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
I meant to say this much earlier, but I don't think Radionova has been well served by her SP dress... it doesn't fit the mood of the music well... it's bright and get's in the way of any expression she's trying to do... rather than make her look more mature, it makes her look more awkward.

Batsuchan

Medalist
I am hoping Lena from Rostelcon or Russian Nats shows up. Regardless of the outcome of Worlds Lena has had a good season considering dealing with growth issues.

Lena actually didn't skate that great at Russian Nats--she messed up the opening 3Lz in her FS so she had to do the 3T on the second lutz, and people who saw both competitions said she looked better at Rostelecom--so I do hope that the Rostelecom Lena shows up! :agree:

She really had something to prove at Rostelecom, and I hope that her painful loss at Euros makes her angry enough to come out and give it everything she's got at Worlds. :yes:

I find Zhenya's tanos to be VERY aesthetically UNATTRACTIVE--her elbow is wayy too bent for my taste, and it does look like a helicopter blade. :roll5: I much prefer a slightly curved balletic arm, like here:
https://youtu.be/56hdpfuw36E?t=23s

...or both arms above the head like Lena used to do:
https://youtu.be/hsSlnYhpzck?t=2m50s

BUT, the current rules allow her to backload her programs and do tons of tanos, and I think every skater has the right to maximize their points, so I can't really criticize her.

Satoko's fake 3-3 and two 2A-3T is far more abusing the system than Medvedeva tanos and jump layouts.

I agree with NaVi; it's REALLY pissing me off that Satoko can get full credit for her egregiously pre-rotated jumps. I wonder if there's a way we can petition the ISU or somehow alert the judges to what's going on. I checked the rules, and it seems like the tech panel is NOT allowed to check for prerotation in slow-mo (only regular speed), so unless it's brought to their attention, I don't think Satoko will get dinged for it. :dev2:

I meant to say this much earlier, but I don't think Radionova has been well served by her SP dress... it doesn't fit the mood of the music well... it's bright and get's in the way of any expression she's trying to do... rather than make her look more mature, it makes her look more awkward.

Hmm, I don't know if I really agree with this. Maybe you're right that it doesn't fit "Je T'aime." But I think Lena looks GORGEOUS in it (and the British Eurosport guys called her a "supermodel" in it, let's not forget), AND she definitely stands out from the other ladies. :love: I will reserve judgement until I see it live, because I think sometimes costumes can look better/worse than expected from the stands..

Sergey Bermeniev (famous photographer) just posted another photo of Lena.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCBMPAuhKAc/

I can't tell if it is new, or part of last year's photos, like this one...
https://www.instagram.com/p/x9vLIDBKKH/
...though I'm guessing it is?

NaVi

Medalist
I agree with NaVi; it's REALLY pissing me off that Satoko can get full credit for her egregiously pre-rotated jumps.

I personally don't like to bring up the pre-rotation as it fogs the issue and makes it easy to dismiss... Satoko's 3-3 at the GPF and 4CC were UR even without considering pre-rotation.

Batsuchan

Medalist
I personally don't like to bring up the pre-rotation as it fogs the issue and makes it easy to dismiss... Satoko's 3-3 at the GPF and 4CC were UR even without considering pre-rotation.

Thanks for the GIFs. I guess that because the landings look smooth, the tech panel doesn't check, and if they don't check, she'll never get dinged for underrotations...? Very frustrating! :dev2:

kaiba1986

Rinkside
No.

ps. I seak a litle Russian.

It's very strange and funny interpretation and absolutely wrong.:)
alskling is right

Yep, you are totally right. I didn't read the word properly. That's what happens when you do several things at the same time. Sorry for the wrong interpretation. :) Next time I'll pay more attention to what I read. :thumbsup:

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
what upsets me the most is the fact that the scores of Lena did not grow in contrast to the scores of other skaters.
always for clean (or almost clean SP) - 69, 70, 69.
and always for clean (or almost clean FS) - 139, 139, 139.
:dev2: :dev2: :dev2:

nox1

On the Ice

This would be amazing, I like Satoko, so if anyone would have to beat Lena, it would be her. I know she has technical issues but there's just something about her I like :)

Batsuchan

Medalist
what upsets me the most is the fact that the scores of Lena did not grow in contrast to the scores of other skaters.
always for clean (or almost clean SP) - 69, 70, 69.
and always for clean (or almost clean FS) - 139, 139, 139.

Yes, that is upsetting, but as you said, Lena is "almost clean"--the judges want to see EFFORTLESS jumps, and Lena's jumps aren't quite there yet. But I am hopeful that they are getting better. To me, they DID look better at Euros, but I think she was struggling with 1) the smaller rink, which made her lutz combo difficult, and 2) her new FS costume, which is GORGEOUS but doesn't seem to be very aerodynamic (the skirt seems to drag in the air).

If Lena skates perfectly at Worlds LATE in the final group, I think her scores will go up. :yes:

This would be amazing, I like Satoko, so if anyone would have to beat Lena, it would be her. I know she has technical issues but there's just something about her I like

For me, if there's anyone I'd be ok with beating Lena at Worlds, it's Mao. :biggrin: If only because Lena is a big admirer of Mao!
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/55/e3/11/55e3118f0ebeb6cd5c091bc8b7df0005.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/17/fb/b5/17fbb5e3414d14ee2b1757e917e02c31.jpg :luv17:

Throwback to the 2014 Olympics gala!
Lena & Adyan:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cbu58wyUcAAzJ5q.jpg

And our cutie: :love:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cbu6LeuUAAAH-cm.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cbu6EhOUsAElloG.jpg

I have to say, THIS is the performance that made me a Lena fan. :yes:

nox1

On the Ice
For me, if there's anyone I'd be ok with beating Lena at Worlds, it's Mao. :biggrin: If only because Lena is a big admirer of Mao!
Okay very true, I would also be okay with Mao beating Lena.

I have to say, THIS is the performance that made me a Lena fan. :yes:

Yes I love that one, but the one that made me a fan was her Junior Worlds Free Skate performance to 'Land of the Deaf'? In a purple dress :luv17: So emotional, I would really like her to re-do it now she's a bit older and mature.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think the issue Lena is having is that she has to deal with puberty. Her jumps even though fully rotated, don't look effortless and bave great flow, it's understandable given how much her body has changed in these 2 seasons. I think once her body is settled, she will be better.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think the issue Lena is having is that she has to deal with puberty. Her jumps even though fully rotated, don't look effortless and bave great flow, it's understandable given how much her body has changed in these 2 seasons. I think once her body is settled, she will be better.

I think so too. She basically has made it through this season on sheer grit alone, which I madly respect, but she will definitely be better once she's done growing and fully adjusted to her body's changes. Honestly this may still take a little time. We just have to be patient.

Batsuchan

Medalist
Yes I love that one, but the one that made me a fan was her Junior Worlds Free Skate performance to 'Land of the Deaf'? In a purple dress. So emotional, I would really like her to re-do it now she's a bit older and mature.

I really love that FS too, but I didn't see it until AFTER I saw Lena at the 2014 Olympics gala--that's when I really started paying attention to her. That is one of my favorite performances of hers to re-watch. :love:

I think she's kind of outgrown that program now, as great as it is. I'd love to see her work with Averbukh again though!!

Yup, totally agree. :yes:

I think so too. She basically has made it through this season on sheer grit alone, which I madly respect, but she will definitely be better once she's done growing and fully adjusted to her body's changes. Honestly this may still take a little time. We just have to be patient.

I do think she has started to turn the corner and that her jumps will get better going forward.

Last season, at this time, I was freaking out that Lena would grow like 2 inches between Euros and Worlds and be unable to jump. :eek: This time I'm not so worried; I think her jumps will look even better at Worlds...well, except for the lutz, since she's going to be on an even-smaller rink.

I *DIED* of laughter when I saw this--from the Euros gala rehearsal. Other people are practicing or chatting and Lena is...eating pie??!! :rofl:
http://i67.tinypic.com/156d7wl.jpg
Close-up:
http://i68.tinypic.com/2j4yis5.jpg

It'd be one thing if she were eating a snack bar or an apple or something, but she's got a plate AND a spoon/fork on the ice! :laugh:
(Also, I'm glad to see her eating...I know I was (probably unnecessarily) worried about her weight after Nationals.)

And Sergey Bermeniev posted another (old) photo of Lena:
https://pp.vk.me/c633231/v633231270/1909e/RC4OegUeig0.jpg
I wonder why now, all of a sudden...

Last edited: