Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Will Asada have the 3A for Worlds?

Custom Title
    Why is Mao so hung up on the triple axel? It seems like because of her obsession with that jump she's let some of her other triple jumps become shaky and she still can't do a 3-3 combo like most of the other ladies are doing.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by venlac View Post
    In olympics, she landed 3A. but did not seem happy at all. even though she recieved Silver medal.
    when she is Number 2 or 3, she didn't seems satisfied and smiling faces.
    'winning isn't everything?' she is real fighter for gold medal

Of course she's a fighter for winning gold. I never said she wasn't. Plz read my former post more carefully. I'm only saying that Mao will never be totally happy nor satisfied unless she wins without a 3A and most likely also a 3-3. Just like Takahashi kept saying he doesn't want to win Olys without a quad, Mao prefers to win competitions with a 3A. She's been working on that jump with her deceased mother since childhood. It's something very special to her. Before Vancouver Olys, she was only able to focus on her 3A with her coach not being able to work with her most of the time, and Yuna had fantastic jumps so I assume she felt the only chance she had then was to increase the number of her 3As. And I do not think it's fair to say 'winning isn't everthing' does not apply to Mao just because she was disappointed when she found out she didn't make top of the podium in Olys. Olys is a special event for all athletes. Many of them spend most of their lives to win Olys gold. Still, even if Mao should win Olys someday with no 3A or 3-3, I don't think she would be satisfied. She may not be sad, but she won't be totally satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by venlac View Post
    problem about 70% rule, and skaters trying to high level jump...
    I think it's the problem that difference of the values ​​on each skaters.
    for example, 2 top ladies, yuna and mao.

mao
    she said "Not challenge each year you will not grow.""I always aim higher."
    yuna, she said
    "What I want to avoid is staying at the same place. As I improve in skills, musical interpretations, and acting, I am able to approach each element of my programs with perfection which makes me satisfied with myself."
    "I hope that I and everyone watching my performances will not feel joy or sorry accompanied by the colors of the medals, but share joy and happiness that I'll deliver through the music and my performances"
    Sorry...I don't quite understand what you're trying to say about the 70% rule by comparing Mao and Yuna's words. First of all, I don't see that much of a difference in what they've said. Mao said she wants to go on challenging new things, Yuna said she doesn't want to stay in the same place but try to polish what she can do to make it better and better. Their approach may be different, but their wishes to evolve seem quite similar to me. Plus just because Mao likes to try out new things, it doesn't mean she doesn't feel the need to perfect them either. Yuna's jumps have always been more consistant than Mao's, so that might give us the impression that she doesn't benefit from the 70% rule. But can you be totally sure that Yuna will never UR even just a slight bit? Would you prefer her to lose most or all of her base points along with -GOEs? I think that would be too harsh on Yuna or for any other skater. Even great top skaters like Yuna might have a minor injury, problems in adjusting to new skating boots, catch a flu, or just happen to have an unlucky day in some competition. As a result there's a possibilty that even such good jumpers can end up URing. But with the 70% rule, they may still be able to win or at least make the podium. I think all skaters deserve a break like that. Sure Mao URs more than Yuna so far; she's been reforming all her jumps from scratch after Vancouver Olys, what can you expect? And her 3A is an extremely difficult jump, even for the guys. Of course Mao has a higher chance of URing her 3As.

But the rule book does not say that the 70% rule only applys to 3As and quads.

The guys who attempt quads are not aiming for a 70% UR jump, just as Mao isn't aiming for a UR 3A. They're all practicing to aim for a clean perfectly rotated jump, just like Yuna has been working hard to perfect her jumps. All skaters are always under the risk of URing no matter how good they are, and therefore you can never determine who will and who will not benefit from this rule.

One of the reasons I'm glad Yuna decided to come back is because of her brilliant 3-3. Yuna coming back into competition will stimulate many other girls to attempt more and more difficult combos. However, for many girls it will be terribly risky and frightening. That's were the 70% rule will come in and push their backs. Wouldn't that be more exciting? Don't we want to see competitions like that? I for one certainly would.

In anycase, skaters who only get UR scores will never be able to beat a skater with fully rotated jumps (of course, provided that the judges do their jobs correctly ). A skater who URs will be rewarded accordingly, while a skater who doesn't will be rewarded more; fair and square. Even if a 70% score for some difficult jumps may still be quite high, they should not be rewarded in GOEs as they are handed out after the tech callers inform them that a jump is URd or DGd (yes, once again provided that the judges do their jobs right...which I admit they are not always so good at. But that's another issue, which is not in anyway some kind of proof to back up that the 70% rule is unfair).

There are many rules in this sport, and some skaters may benefit more from them compared to others at times depending on their performances. In that sense, there are lots of rules I don't like too, but I don't complain about them. Why not? Because, I repeat: the same rules apply to everyone. You can debate whether you like a rule or not, whether a rule is good or bad for the sport, but it's logically wrong to claim a rule is unfair as long as it's a condition given equally to all the competitors.

But then again, all these are just my personal views. If anyone thinks otherwise, I will not agree, but I will respect their opinions.

Custom Title
    I think it would be a good thing for the sport if the younger girls beat the older established Ladies like Kostner or Mao if they were only landing 3 or 4 triples. It will make them have to push themselves to keep up and that's the way it should be. But as it is now i think Mao or Kostner could win with a 3 triple performance because they get such high PCS and that's not pushing the sport forward at all.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    But as it is now i think Mao or Kostner could win with a 3 triple performance because they get such high PCS
    Deservingly so. And that's why those young skaters with great jumps would work harder to improve their SKATING SKILLs, which I think pushes the sport forward.

Rinkside
    Why is Mao so hung up on the triple axel? It seems like because of her obsession with that jump she's let some of her other triple jumps become shaky and she still can't do a 3-3 combo like most of the other ladies are doing.
    Mao had worked on her 3A along with her deceased mother since childhood. That jump means alot to her. She lost her mother and that will never change, but she wanted once again to achieve the jump she had lost after Vancouver Olys. It had been their dream for Mao to win Olys with a 3A. I have no idea whether that will ever happen, but Mao does not want to give up no matter what.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Man
    Mao had worked on her 3A along with her deceased mother since childhood. That jump means alot to her. She lost her mother and that will never change, but she wanted once again to achieve the jump she had lost after Vancouver Olys. It had been their dream for Mao to win Olys with a 3A. I have no idea whether that will ever happen, but Mao does not want to give up no matter what.
    There's also the chance of a 8-triple FS. If Mao could achieve that she'd write history again and she'd be one of the main contenders for the OGM in Sochi, arguably the main contender if Yuna continues to avoid the Loop due to back problems and Carolina doesn't up the technical ante in SP + FS.
    But no matter if she wins the OGM or not, I really hope she's proud of herself now already

Mashimaro on Ice
    Are most ladies successfully landing 3-3 combos consistently in their programs? Besides Yuna Kim, I can't think of any other senior lady skater at the moment.

Custom Title
    At the 4CC FS, Mao URd her 3A, her 3F+3Lo and her 2A+3T, even in her own country. She got the green light on the 3A in the SP, but to some eyes, that was a bit of a gift.

Mao was one success for four tries at 4CC. At least she only got <. She won't be skating at home for Worlds and some of those < could turn into <<. Pretty risky.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
    That seems like a good enough reason to me. Besides, she jumps the 3A because, well, she can. Go, Mao! (And while you're at it, go for the other jumps as well. We'll be here ready to cheer you on.)

Between YuNa's very promising comeback and Mao's fine performance this week (room for improvement, but fine nonetheless), I feel as if I'm being offered the world's best chocolate truffles and the finest milk chocolate bar at the same time and told "bon appetit." Don't ask me which treat stands for which skater. I'm currently in a skating stupor of delight.
    Last edited by Olympia; 02-10-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    At the 4CC FS, Mao URd her 3A, her 3F+3Lo and her 2A+3T, even in her own country. She got the green light on the 3A in the SP, but to some eyes, that was a bit of a gift.

Mao was one success for four tries at 4CC. At least she only got <. She won't be skating at home for Worlds and some of those < could turn into <<. Pretty risky.
    So the judges are not ISU judges? Therefore depending on the country where the event is held they give higher marks to the skaters from that county? Ok. Mao did not get gifts, she was scored farily

Custom Title
    Mao was under no pressure at 4CC, as she was on home ice with no real competition. Even without pressure, she couldn't rotate 75% of her high-risk elements (3a, 3f+3lo, 2a+3t). Worlds won't be on home ice before an adoring audience, and it will be a pressure-cooker for Mao, with added competitors Yu-Na, Kostner and the Russian ladies. It's going to be even harder to deliver those high-risk elements; what got < at home could become << at Worlds.

Mao was under no pressure at 4CC, as she was on home ice with no real competition. Even without pressure, she couldn't rotate 75% of her high-risk elements (3a, 3f+3lo, 2a+3t). Worlds won't be on home ice before an adoring audience, and it will be a pressure-cooker for Mao, with added competitors Yu-Na, Kostner and the Russian ladies. It's going to be even harder to deliver those high-risk elements; what got < at home could become << at Worlds.
    Lets see what happens. I rooting for and wish her the best. No matter what happens, she should still be very proud of her progress

On the Ice
    Are you kidding me?? Trying to live up to HUGE expectations on home ice in front of all her fervent Japanese fans isn't pressure? No real competition? Maybe tech-wise, sure, but that's a real low opinion of Suzuki and Murakami.

Quote Originally Posted by aims View Post
    Are you kidding me?? Trying to live up to HUGE expectations on home ice in front of all her fervent Japanese fans isn't pressure? No real competition? Maybe tech-wise, sure, but that's a real low opinion of Suzuki and Murakami.
    Suzuki and Murakami were a force. Team Japan did so well

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aims View Post
    It was easy to see how confident and comfortable Mao looked, skating on home ice. The only 'competition' Mao had was the other Japanese skaters. They were still no competition.

Mao skated quite badly at NHK 2012 and should have lost to Suzuki, but Mao won anyway. No matter what Akiko did on the ice at 4CC, Mao was bound to win.

Murakami is a charming skater but she has a weird pick technique and a serious UR problem. Kanako isn't competition for an 'ON' Suzuki, let alone Mao.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast