Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 46 to 56 of 56

Thread: Challenge Cup 2013 (21-24 Feb)

  1. #46
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Bloody hell! Kostner's SP is one of the best programs in the history of skating. Everything is near perfect and the attention to detail throughout is just astounding. I can find only one negative thing about this program and it's the long entry into 3toe/3toe and quite long entry into 2axel. But even on those jumps, she has transitions coming out. Amazing, amazing performance.

    Decent FS as well. Shame about the two pops but those two performances would surely be enough for bronze or even silver at Worlds.
    I love Carolina's SP as well, I think it's the best SP of all the 3 top ladies this season. Great music, coreography, quality, everything. I really appreciate the fact that she is trying a 3F+3T combination in the FS, even with the UR, and has her great 3lz back. I love skaters that try really difficult things and challenge themselves. The one thing I don't like is her FS coreography. I've seen so many interpretations of Bolero, and that is not a very good one. But the judges seem to love it for some reason. I can't get it. Her choreography last season was much better, imo. Anyway, she has a real shot for the gold medal again. I never thought it was possible with Kim and Mao at full strenght, but it is a reality right now. I can't wait for the Ladies competition at Worlds!

  2. #47
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    I love Carolina's SP .... I don't like is her FS coreography....
    This SP is really great and every detail is in place, I really love it. For the FS, this program is so different when you see it live, unfortunately the videos don't show the building of intensity she brings out. It's so majestic .. and this perception doesn't came through. I wish you had a chance to witness that

  3. #48
    ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Axis of Evil
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    The one thing I don't like is her FS coreography. I've seen so many interpretations of Bolero, and that is not a very good one. But the judges seem to love it for some reason. I can't get it.
    Put your glasses on? :P

  4. #49
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Put your glasses on? :P
    I would suggest you do a little research on some bolero interpretations from ballet, modern dance, gymnastics and even figure skating to see what an excellent bolero looks like. The moves in Caro's choreo are not very original, not intense enough and do not have many details. There is simply not enough actual choreography in that FS. Just little little moments until the step sequence, that's when the program actually begins to grow. But that's just my opinion, of course, and I respect yours

    Thanks for the input, npavel! It must be interesting to watch her live, indeed!

  5. #50
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,719
    PAIRS FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

    1. Vanessa JAMES & Morgan CIPRES (FRA) - 189.82 Free Skate
    2. Tarah KAYNE & Daniel O'SHEA (USA) - 167.82 Free Skate
    3. Mari VARTMANN & Aaron VAN CLEAVE (GER) - 156.30 Free Skate
    4. Daria POPOVA & Bruno MASSOT (FRA) - 149.09 Free Skate
    5. DeeDee LENG & Timothy LEDUC (USA) - 148.56 Free Skate
    6. Kiri BAGA & Taylor TOTH (USA) - 146.50 Free Skate
    7. Camille FOUCHER & Mark MAGYAR (HUN) - 105.01 Free Skate
    WD. Stina MARTINI & Severin KIEFER (AUT)

  6. #51
    ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Axis of Evil
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    I would suggest you do a little research on some bolero interpretations from ballet, modern dance, gymnastics and even figure skating to see what an excellent bolero looks like. The moves in Caro's choreo are not very original, not intense enough and do not have many details. There is simply not enough actual choreography in that FS. Just little little moments until the step sequence, that's when the program actually begins to grow. But that's just my opinion, of course, and I respect yours
    That's fair enough and I do not actually disagree with you. But I think you might be setting your expectations too high.

    Most skaters just stroke from one jump to another. So when I see a skater moving to the music most of the time, showing changes of direction, an element layout which isn't basic and a fair amount of transitions, I will take that.

  7. #52
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    That's fair enough and I do not actually disagree with you. But I think you might be setting your expectations too high.

    Most skaters just stroke from one jump to another. So when I see a skater moving to the music most of the time, showing changes of direction, an element layout which isn't basic and a fair amount of transitions, I will take that.
    Caro also added a little hand movement before the Flip.

  8. #53
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    I would suggest you do a little research on some bolero interpretations from ballet, modern dance, gymnastics and even figure skating to see what an excellent bolero looks like. The moves in Caro's choreo are not very original, not intense enough and do not have many details. There is simply not enough actual choreography in that FS. Just little little moments until the step sequence, that's when the program actually begins to grow.
    I think Carolina's Bolero is reminiscent of Bejart's ballet--certain of the hand and body movements. I'm quite sure Lori was aware of it when she choreographed it.

  9. #54
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    I think Carolina's Bolero is reminiscent of Bejart's ballet--certain of the hand and body movements. I'm quite sure Lori was aware of it when she choreographed it.
    It is actually a copy of Pina Bausch choreography for Bolero. It's on youtube. I actually like it and I think Caro does a great job with it. That girl has a great sense of music.

  10. #55
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterB View Post
    It is actually a copy of Pina Bausch choreography for Bolero. It's on youtube. I actually like it and I think Caro does a great job with it. That girl has a great sense of music.
    could you please link that?

  11. #56
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    11
    I dislike Bolero the music to begin with, but this version of Bolero is especially unlistenable. It's bad enough that Bolero is repetitive in rhythm and melody in the first place (Ravel was having early dementia symptoms at that time and the brain disease is linked with an obsession with repetitive patterns). This particular version has a slower tempo than other usual versions, which makes it incredibly repressive and drives me up the wall. This program might be one of the few ever that are improved by turning the music off.

    Incidentally, a couple of American figure skating insiders, Doug Mattis and Jackie Wong (Wong writes a column for Examiner.com on figure skating), engaged in a discussion about Kostner's free skate with PJ Kwong on Twitter recently. Both Mattis and Wong expressed disappointment about the choreography, especially the jarring segments of stopping and moving while standing. When you have a skater like Kostner, standing is wasting her ability. Kwong said she loved the program. But then I've never heard Kwong say anything about Lori Nichol's choreography except loving it.
    Last edited by little_meatball; 03-01-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •