Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Future of Russian Ladies

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    going to Sokolovskaya was the end of her career, Shelepen is done, she might announce retirement next season
    Polina K. can still compete for a few more seasons and see if she can bounce back
    Shelepen is injured and dealing with a new coaching relationship. Given the depth in Russia, yes, it will be hard for her to make European and World teams, but come on, she's 17, she's not done, last season she was regularly landing 7 triples and 2 double axels in her FS! She still has a lot of potential if she can regain that form. She does need to improve in components, but that is not as difficult to learn as a 3lz-3t which she is already capable of. And I think some of her issues may still be puberty based. She grew a lot a couple years ago but she's even taller now. Her ISU bio says she's 163 cm but watching her skate it's clear she's well above that now, no way is Adelina anywhere close to as tall as her, Shelepen is likely 165 minimum and more likely closer to 170 cm. Her height may cause her trouble but she's also a great technician and has time to adjust, and may well do so once she gets used to her more mature body type. I wouldn't write her off just yet, she's a fighter, she has the jumps, she's improved her basics and spins over the years, and she has a beautiful long, thin physique that the judges will like when she delivers. Give her time..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Shelepen is injured and dealing with a new coaching relationship. Given the depth in Russia, yes, it will be hard for her to make European and World teams, but come on, she's 17, she's not done, last season she was regularly landing 7 triples and 2 double axels in her FS! She still has a lot of potential if she can regain that form. She does need to improve in components, but that is not as difficult to learn as a 3lz-3t which she is already capable of. And I think some of her issues may still be puberty based. She grew a lot a couple years ago but she's even taller now. Her ISU bio says she's 163 cm but watching her skate it's clear she's well above that now, no way is Adelina anywhere close to as tall as her, Shelepen is likely 165 minimum and more likely closer to 170 cm. Her height may cause her trouble but she's also a great technician and has time to adjust, and may well do so once she gets used to her more mature body type. I wouldn't write her off just yet, she's a fighter, she has the jumps, she's improved her basics and spins over the years, and she has a beautiful long, thin physique that the judges will like when she delivers. Give her time..
    Sokolovskaya is probably the worst coach you can go to, you will just end up with injury it was expected of course
    Shelepen suffers from having an embarassing pcs, I dont think she can come back there wont be room for her especially next season
    Agafonova, Shelepen and Makarova I think are all done

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Exactly!

Anyway, if Russians don't want her, I am sure my country would welcome her with open arms! And she would get to Europeans and Worlds because there is no one better here!

Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Exactly!

Anyway, if Russians don't want her, I am sure my country would welcome her with open arms! And she would get to Europeans and Worlds because there is no one better here!
    In all seriousness I think some of the Russian ladies might benefit from seriously considering the pros and cons (there are many of each) of being released to skate for another federation.

Custom Title
    Sokolovskaya is probably the worst coach you can go to, you will just end up with injury it was expected of course
    Why?

Clarification: I'm not questioning your statement - I know nothing about it; and that's just it: I'm genuinely curious.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Why?

Clarification: I'm not questioning your statement - I know nothing about it; and that's just it: I'm genuinely curious.
    Yes, I'd like to know as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yes, I'd like to know as well.
    Me too: I don't remember any other top-skater coached by Sokolovskaya, so I don't know how good she is at teaching the big triples and prepearing a skater for important competition; Shelepen has been injuried this season so we can't judge her basing on this season's results... Do someone know anything about Svetlana's abilities?

Banned
    Agafonova, Shelepen and Makarova I think are all done
    I think such conclusion is too hasty. Maybe Agafonova and Makarova's skating careers are over, but I don't think Shelepen's is done, because she is still very young and has great potential.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    In all seriousness I think some of the Russian ladies might benefit from seriously considering the pros and cons (there are many of each) of being released to skate for another federation.
    The question is whether other federations are interested in her or whether she is willing to skate for other countries. I agree that the change of environments can only do her more good than harm considering the intensified competitions among all these little ladies skaters in Russia on a regular basis.

Custom Title
    The question is whether other federations are interested in her? I can think of about a zillion countries that would be interested--nay, thrilled to delirium--to have her represent them. Let's start at the beginning of the skating alphabet...Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    The question is whether other federations are interested in her? I can think of about a zillion countries that would be interested--nay, thrilled to delirium--to have her represent them. Let's start at the beginning of the skating alphabet...Australia?
    This. I don't think Polina S. would have a hard time getting another federation to take her (though I think her choice might be slightly more limited than suggested here). The real issue is if she (and like I said, certain other Russian female single skaters as well) want to compete for Russia or are willing to move to a different federation. Barring injury (or major permanent puberty issues) the best any of the young Russians who are not Liza, Adelina, Elena, or Julia can hope for is to be duking it out for a third spot if two of those four make mistakes. Now of course injuries do happen, and of course ice is slippery, and of course surprises/miracles do happen, but at the moment, that appears to be the situation for the next 5 years (I assume all 4 will continue after Sochi). Some of the younger girls may be willing/able to wait. A 17 year old does not have that luxury.

I think that Radinova is one of the best skaters in the world.

Look at this video.

She does 5 triples in 40 seconds. (1:07-1:47).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohpwRz1P0R4

Tripping on the Podium
    To: Thawingiceberg,
    It's not nasty it's reality with russian figure skaters, it's just too many talented skaters out there in a very little room.
    Last edited by momskate; 02-06-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by momskate View Post
    To: Thawingiceberg,
    It's not nasty it's reality with russian figure skaters, it's just too many talented skaters out there in a very little room.
    I did not get your point. Please elaborate it a bit.

Custom Title
    How about Korobeynikova? I think she is artistic&mature skater

Russian skaters are always amazing as a junior, but unfortunately, some of them doesn't "survive". I think some of the skaters should skate for other countries(for example:Julia Li for S.Korea) but then, I think it would be hard for them to leave Russia since Russia is one of the best when it comes to federation support, which IMO is really important for skaters.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast