Future of Russian Ladies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Future of Russian Ladies

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Few skaters in Russia are getting more federation support than gosviani at this time.

Gosviani never showed what she's capable of. It was a good surprise for everybody, revelation even)
It's not about her coach and the support he is receiving...Just look at Julia - Tutberidze is a new coach, not influential:) And now Elena's coach..What I try to say is that the fed support doesn't come out of nowhere. You have to be good, not your coach.

Macassar88

Medalist
You really liked the way that Tutberidze was working with her? I don't think she did, otherwise she would have never left her. Someone reported that Tutberidze was really nasty to her, although Shelepen refused to talk about it on any public forum.

I always thought that she left Tutberidze because she wasn't getting as much attention as Julia was getting.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
You really liked the way that Tutberidze was working with her? I don't think she did, otherwise she would have never left her. Someone reported that Tutberidze was really nasty to her, although Shelepen refused to talk about it on any public forum.
Reall? I didn't know it, that's sad... However, her jumps were good and she was improving her lutz a lot: this year, it went back, it's really a weak jump; she was landing clean 3-3s at every competition she attended, last year, but maybe it was just beacuse she didn't have the injury... However, if she didn't feel good training with Tutberidze, it has been good for her to change coach! :yes:

hanca

Record Breaker
It was posted either here or on the FSU at that time. I was curious about how much Shelepen would say about that but she has proved to be a very mature and decent young lady. Far beyond her age.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
How do you know it is not even puberty? Polina is the same age as Adelina and Liza. Both Adelina and Liza struggled with puberty the last 1-2 seasons, so Shelepen could have had the same problems related to puberty. Also, she was injured most of this season, so it is unfair to compare her results from the season when she is injured to the results of the previous season when she was healthy. Even Makarova got benefit of doubt (and has been messing up for two seasons), so I would give Shelepen a chance for another season before writing her off.

I just remember Polina in her junior years, with Tutberidze, how fast she was growing and how her body was changing. She went from a tiny child to a grown up girl in two years and it didn't affect her jumps. And she didn't have any serious injury. I think the reason is that Tutberidze coached her from the very beginning and knew what was good for her. Polina didn't change much since she came to Sokolovskaya, but got injured almost right away. And I also think new coach destroyed her jumping technique, even before injury she wasn't able to jump anything. I know, Polina never had the purest jumps, but at least she landed and rotated them. I'm not writing her off or saying Sokolovskaya ia a terrible coach, but I really think changing coaches was a big mistake. I've heard Polina wanted to go to Vodorezova, but it didn't work out, so she ended in Sokolovskaya's group. It's a pity, I think she would be much better with Vodorezova, even though Adelina is in the group

Slowdive

On the Ice
because Sokoloskaya is a terrible coach all of her students have ended their careers in injury, still remember Ovcharova and Deeva ? now faded into obscurity, Shelepen is done unless she makes drastic changes and change coaches, I think she will retire by next season

With any luck we'll see Ovcharova skate for Switzerland in Sochi ;)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
With any luck we'll see Ovcharova skate for Switzerland in Sochi ;)

She was 2nd at Nationals and had a bit of a mess of a FS there, so there's a good chance she could make the Olympic team yes. Tina Sturzenberger is a good jumper but I think Anna could easily beat her if she's "on".

tulosai

Record Breaker
I just remember Polina in her junior years, with Tutberidze, how fast she was growing and how her body was changing. She went from a tiny child to a grown up girl in two years and it didn't affect her jumps. And she didn't have any serious injury. I think the reason is that Tutberidze coached her from the very beginning and knew what was good for her. Polina didn't change much since she came to Sokolovskaya, but got injured almost right away. And I also think new coach destroyed her jumping technique, even before injury she wasn't able to jump anything. I know, Polina never had the purest jumps, but at least she landed and rotated them. I'm not writing her off or saying Sokolovskaya ia a terrible coach, but I really think changing coaches was a big mistake. I've heard Polina wanted to go to Vodorezova, but it didn't work out, so she ended in Sokolovskaya's group. It's a pity, I think she would be much better with Vodorezova, even though Adelina is in the group

All of this basically. Honestly, I don't think coaches should treat their skaters poorly, so if Tutberidze was treating her poorly I don't fault Polina for wanting to switch. However, whether Tutberidze was being mean to her or not, I don't think it was the correct move for her career to switch as she was obviously doing well under Tutberidze. I don't think results are all that matter in life, but in terms of results and her actual career, I think it's pretty clear a mistake was made.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
going to Sokolovskaya was the end of her career, Shelepen is done, she might announce retirement next season
Polina K. can still compete for a few more seasons and see if she can bounce back

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She was 2nd at Nationals and had a bit of a mess of a FS there, so there's a good chance she could make the Olympic team yes. Tina Sturzenberger is a good jumper but I think Anna could easily beat her if she's "on".

It's Tina STÜRZINGER.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
going to Sokolovskaya was the end of her career, Shelepen is done, she might announce retirement next season
Polina K. can still compete for a few more seasons and see if she can bounce back

Shelepen is injured and dealing with a new coaching relationship. Given the depth in Russia, yes, it will be hard for her to make European and World teams, but come on, she's 17, she's not done, last season she was regularly landing 7 triples and 2 double axels in her FS! She still has a lot of potential if she can regain that form. She does need to improve in components, but that is not as difficult to learn as a 3lz-3t which she is already capable of. And I think some of her issues may still be puberty based. She grew a lot a couple years ago but she's even taller now. Her ISU bio says she's 163 cm but watching her skate it's clear she's well above that now, no way is Adelina anywhere close to as tall as her, Shelepen is likely 165 minimum and more likely closer to 170 cm. Her height may cause her trouble but she's also a great technician and has time to adjust, and may well do so once she gets used to her more mature body type. I wouldn't write her off just yet, she's a fighter, she has the jumps, she's improved her basics and spins over the years, and she has a beautiful long, thin physique that the judges will like when she delivers. Give her time..

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Shelepen is injured and dealing with a new coaching relationship. Given the depth in Russia, yes, it will be hard for her to make European and World teams, but come on, she's 17, she's not done, last season she was regularly landing 7 triples and 2 double axels in her FS! She still has a lot of potential if she can regain that form. She does need to improve in components, but that is not as difficult to learn as a 3lz-3t which she is already capable of. And I think some of her issues may still be puberty based. She grew a lot a couple years ago but she's even taller now. Her ISU bio says she's 163 cm but watching her skate it's clear she's well above that now, no way is Adelina anywhere close to as tall as her, Shelepen is likely 165 minimum and more likely closer to 170 cm. Her height may cause her trouble but she's also a great technician and has time to adjust, and may well do so once she gets used to her more mature body type. I wouldn't write her off just yet, she's a fighter, she has the jumps, she's improved her basics and spins over the years, and she has a beautiful long, thin physique that the judges will like when she delivers. Give her time..

Sokolovskaya is probably the worst coach you can go to, you will just end up with injury it was expected of course
Shelepen suffers from having an embarassing pcs, I dont think she can come back there wont be room for her especially next season
Agafonova, Shelepen and Makarova I think are all done

hanca

Record Breaker

Exactly!

Anyway, if Russians don't want her, I am sure my country would welcome her with open arms! And she would get to Europeans and Worlds because there is no one better here! :)

tulosai

Record Breaker
Exactly!

Anyway, if Russians don't want her, I am sure my country would welcome her with open arms! And she would get to Europeans and Worlds because there is no one better here! :)

In all seriousness I think some of the Russian ladies might benefit from seriously considering the pros and cons (there are many of each) of being released to skate for another federation.

LRK

Record Breaker
Sokolovskaya is probably the worst coach you can go to, you will just end up with injury it was expected of course

Why?

Clarification: I'm not questioning your statement - I know nothing about it; and that's just it: I'm genuinely curious.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Yes, I'd like to know as well.
Me too: I don't remember any other top-skater coached by Sokolovskaya, so I don't know how good she is at teaching the big triples and prepearing a skater for important competition; Shelepen has been injuried this season so we can't judge her basing on this season's results... Do someone know anything about Svetlana's abilities?

Thawingiceberg

Match Penalty
Agafonova, Shelepen and Makarova I think are all done

I think such conclusion is too hasty. Maybe Agafonova and Makarova's skating careers are over, but I don't think Shelepen's is done, because she is still very young and has great potential.

Thawingiceberg

Match Penalty
Exactly!

In all seriousness I think some of the Russian ladies might benefit from seriously considering the pros and cons (there are many of each) of being released to skate for another federation.

The question is whether other federations are interested in her or whether she is willing to skate for other countries. I agree that the change of environments can only do her more good than harm considering the intensified competitions among all these little ladies skaters in Russia on a regular basis.

The question is whether other federations are interested in her? I can think of about a zillion countries that would be interested--nay, thrilled to delirium--to have her represent them. Let's start at the beginning of the skating alphabet...Australia?