Future of Russian Ladies | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Future of Russian Ladies

tulosai

Record Breaker
The question is whether other federations are interested in her? I can think of about a zillion countries that would be interested--nay, thrilled to delirium--to have her represent them. Let's start at the beginning of the skating alphabet...Australia?

This. I don't think Polina S. would have a hard time getting another federation to take her (though I think her choice might be slightly more limited than suggested here). The real issue is if she (and like I said, certain other Russian female single skaters as well) want to compete for Russia or are willing to move to a different federation. Barring injury (or major permanent puberty issues) the best any of the young Russians who are not Liza, Adelina, Elena, or Julia can hope for is to be duking it out for a third spot if two of those four make mistakes. Now of course injuries do happen, and of course ice is slippery, and of course surprises/miracles do happen, but at the moment, that appears to be the situation for the next 5 years (I assume all 4 will continue after Sochi). Some of the younger girls may be willing/able to wait. A 17 year old does not have that luxury.

momskate

Rinkside
To: Thawingiceberg,
It's not nasty it's reality with russian figure skaters, it's just too many talented skaters out there in a very little room.

Last edited:

vera01

Final Flight
How about Korobeynikova? I think she is artistic&mature skater:)

Russian skaters are always amazing as a junior, but unfortunately, some of them doesn't "survive". I think some of the skaters should skate for other countries(for example:Julia Li for S.Korea) but then, I think it would be hard for them to leave Russia since Russia is one of the best when it comes to federation support, which IMO is really important for skaters.

hanca

Record Breaker
The question is whether other federations are interested in her or whether she is willing to skate for other countries. I agree that the change of environments can only do her more good than harm considering the intensified competitions among all these little ladies skaters in Russia on a regular basis.

I don't think she would need to move to skate for a different country. She can train where she is, if it helps her skate better. (the skating conditions there would be definitely much better and I wouldn't want to uproot a young girl if she is happy where she is now.) I am talking about skating for a different country, not everyone lives in the country they represent.

She would gain getting to the major international competition, such as Europeans and worlds.

And I am sure our federation would be interested in her. In fact, which European federation from those who don't have any proper lady wouldn't be interested in her?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think that Radinova is one of the best skaters in the world.

Look at this video.

She does 5 triples in 40 seconds. (1:07-1:47).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohpwRz1P0R4

Radionova's jumps are tiny and wobbly
Julia has more secure landings and core in her rotations

she doesn't have the wow like when I first saw Adelina, Liza and Julia
from the younger girls Sotskova is really good, also Sakhanovich minus her bent knees

hanca

Record Breaker
How about Korobeynikova? I think she is artistic&mature skater:)

Russian skaters are always amazing as a junior, but unfortunately, some of them doesn't "survive". I think some of the skaters should skate for other countries(for example:Julia Li for S.Korea) but then, I think it would be hard for them to leave Russia since Russia is one of the best when it comes to federation support, which IMO is really important for skaters.

We would be willing to take her too! :)

I know what you are saying about some of them not surviving through puberty, injuries etc, but there seem to be too many of them coming through. Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva were the first from the new generation, but every coming year there will be another 1-2 who are similarly talented, and they can't all be sent to Europeans/worlds. When they are all eligible, someone will always have to end up lower than 3rd and therefore miss out on being sent to Europeans/worlds. It is sad.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
here is what will most likely happen in the next four years the first Top 4 will be on the same
ranking/rotations ( Adelina, Liza, Julia, ? ) so most of the younger girls will have to wait after 2018 barring major injuries

I'm not convinced Radionova is the best, her jumps are too wobbly
so will any of Sotskova, Serafima etc. wait that long though of course injuries could happen and they might get their chance....

Leonova, Makarova, Agafanova, Shelepen will be done before or after 2014 unless they will be contented with competing in B Competitions
Korobeynikova still has a chance

silverlake22

Record Breaker
What do people think about Pogorilaya? I had never even heard of her until this season, but she has impressed me quite a bit. She has been a strong competitor and really attacks everything, trying 3lz-3t later in her programs if she makes a mistake on an earlier jumping pass. There is the lip issue and her skating is still a bit scratchy, but she has all the tools, can jump all the triples, usually rotates her jumps, pretty solid 3lz-3t and 2a-3t-2t combos, spins fast, lines long and elegant. The other thing that I found impressive is that she's been competing so well this season despite appearing to be in the middle of her big growing period. Of course, she is not through the woods and if her body build fills out or changes significantly, the jumps could suffer, but on the podium at JGPF she towered above Radinova and Miller, so even though she's thin, at least she's of a normal height and not some 4 ft wonderbaby, so there's a chance her body type might not change that much more. I like her fierce energy. I wonder if the fed would ever try to get her out on the GP next season where she is eligible for Sochi...if Leonova, Makarova, Korobeynikova, Shelepen, and Biryukova continue to struggle like they have this season, Anna could be a good option for the 3rd Olympic spot (if say perhaps Julia is still struggling with injuries) or at least a solid alternate in the case of unexpected events. Idk. We'll see how she does at JW, but idk, where Radinova is not eligible for Sochi and Anna is, it might make more sense to keep Elena on the JGP another season and let Anna move up to GP instead.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
What do people think about Pogorilaya? I had never even heard of her until this season, but she has impressed me quite a bit. She has been a strong competitor and really attacks everything, trying 3lz-3t later in her programs if she makes a mistake on an earlier jumping pass. There is the lip issue and her skating is still a bit scratchy, but she has all the tools, can jump all the triples, usually rotates her jumps, pretty solid 3lz-3t and 2a-3t-2t combos, spins fast, lines long and elegant. The other thing that I found impressive is that she's been competing so well this season despite appearing to be in the middle of her big growing period. Of course, she is not through the woods and if her body build fills out or changes significantly, the jumps could suffer, but on the podium at JGPF she towered above Radinova and Miller, so even though she's thin, at least she's of a normal height and not some 4 ft wonderbaby, so there's a chance her body type might not change that much more. I like her fierce energy. I wonder if the fed would ever try to get her out on the GP next season where she is eligible for Sochi...if Leonova, Makarova, Korobeynikova, Shelepen, and Biryukova continue to struggle like they have this season, Anna could be a good option for the 3rd Olympic spot (if say perhaps Julia is still struggling with injuries) or at least a solid alternate in the case of unexpected events. Idk. We'll see how she does at JW, but idk, where Radinova is not eligible for Sochi and Anna is, it might make more sense to keep Elena on the JGP another season and let Anna move up to GP instead.

nobody noticed Pogorilaya because she came out of nowhere
she was not a big name competing in the JGP but she got mostly consistent throughout

definitely she should go Senior Next Season, she could be an alternate for Sochi
if one of Adelina/Liz/Julia struugle or gets injured

tulosai

Record Breaker
I don't think she would need to move to skate for a different country. She can train where she is, if it helps her skate better. (the skating conditions there would be definitely much better and I wouldn't want to uproot a young girl if she is happy where she is now.) I am talking about skating for a different country, not everyone lives in the country they represent.

She would gain getting to the major international competition, such as Europeans and worlds.

And I am sure our federation would be interested in her. In fact, which European federation from those who don't have any proper lady wouldn't be interested in her?

I do not think the Russian federation would be willing to let one of its coaches train a skater who was not representing Russia. There, coaches are paid by the state, not by the skater. Ditto ice time. She might not have to move but she would need to find the money to pay a non Russian coach and for rink time on her own. Possibly another federation would give her that money and /or send a coach. Logistically, I think it would be much harder than you think for her to keep training in Russia.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I also forgot to say she might have to give up her Russian citizenship. She could have a wide range of feelings on that so I won't speculate on how she'd feel, but for some people that decision would not be undertaken lightly.

hanca

Record Breaker
I do not think the Russian federation would be willing to let one of its coaches train a skater who was not representing Russia. There, coaches are paid by the state, not by the skater. Ditto ice time. She might not have to move but she would need to find the money to pay a non Russian coach and for rink time on her own. Possibly another federation would give her that money and /or send a coach. Logistically, I think it would be much harder than you think for her to keep training in Russia.

Morozov is coaching plenty of students representing other countries. Takahashi, Amodio...

hanca

Record Breaker
I also forgot to say she might have to give up her Russian citizenship. She could have a wide range of feelings on that so I won't speculate on how she'd feel, but for some people that decision would not be undertaken lightly.

I think Russia allows dual citizenship. Besides, she would need to change citizenship (or add another one) only for Olympics, not for competing at Europeans and Worlds.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think Russia allows dual citizenship. Besides, she would need to change citizenship (or add another one) only for Olympics, not for competing at Europeans and Worlds.

she can compete for Belarus who can get dual citizenship

luckyguy

Match Penalty
It is interesting. Nobody think of Gosviani.

I was very impressed last year of Korobeynikova. She has very good physical dispositions (like Kostner) and I see a bright future for her.

hanca

Record Breaker
It is interesting. Nobody think of Gosviani.

I was very impressed last year of Korobeynikova. She has very good physical dispositions (like Kostner) and I see a bright future for her.

If she changes country or start being more consistent. I was also very impressed with her last year, she has elegance and is a pleasure to watch, but in the future it won't be enough to earn her spot at Europeans and worlds if she skate like she skated this season. Every year more and more very talented youngsters will be coming through. This season it was first season of Adelina and Liza. Next season it will be Julia Lipnitskaya and possibly Anna Pogorilaya (unless she decides to stay in juniors), next season Elena Radionova... If Korobeyinikova places another season at 7th and 8th place at GP, she will soon be dumped by her federation.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
By the way, even after 4CC Liza has the highest score in the free! That's pretty awesome!=)