Here's the Finnstep | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Here's the Finnstep

Considering that the Olympics tends to bring one Angst Dance number after another for the Free (I thought if I heard Requiem for a Dream one more time in 2010 I would go mad), it will be a nice change of pace to see light, exuberant short dances. Looking forward to it!

Me, too. I love quickstep either on the dance floor or on the ice.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Plus it gives a chance for the women to wear some really great 20s, Downton-esque fashion. The men, alas, will probably stick to tails. But, as they would say on Project Runway, it's "on trend"!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Were Virtue/Moir performing a few seconds of the Finnstep in this exhibition (Skate Canada 2007), starting at approx. 2:50?

(Sorry, I tried to cue up the video to the right time with the link above, but something is not working properly.)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thank you for the correct link, Mathman. :)

(Next time, I hope that I will get such a link right.)

senatormls

On the Ice
Lively footwork! Now we can have a clean interpretation of the dance unlike this seasons polka that has been misinterpreted as country and western style.

vera01

Final Flight
Papadakis/Cizeron are going to be competing as a senior next season, according to Papadakis' Twitter.

Will any of the younger teams(A/E, P/C and maybe, S/B) be able to get level three or four for at least one of their Finnstep keypoints? Finnstep IMO seems to be much more difficult pattern dance than Blues..

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The dance, for a CD is challenging, particularly the timing. P&C will have a relatively even playing field. Only teams who were at 2009 Europeans or 20090 4cc'S OR some of the European nationals in the 2008 - 2009 season have competed this dance.

KKonas

Medalist
I think the Finnstep will be great fun. It is also difficult to do those toe steps and a quick stop well. Looking forward to seeing this SD next season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@AlexShibutani
Off to H-Town with @MaiaShibutani! See you soon, @CorkyBallas!
5:20 AM - 30 Mar 13
https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/statuses/317974612178792448

Hmmmm ... wonder whether the Shibs will be working on their new SD or FD or both with Ballas.

And still curious about my earlier question, for which MM provided the link that works properly. (ETA: And yes, I was/am aware that V/M also later performed a full CD of Finnstep in competition. The point of my question is: did they by choice include a bit of Finnstep in their exhibition because they liked the feel of it?)

Were Virtue/Moir performing a few seconds of the Finnstep in this exhibition (Skate Canada 2007), starting at approx. 2:50?

leafygreens

Final Flight
There's a Finnstep youtube channel. D/W and V/M both performed this dance in 2008-2009. They are capable. The newer teams will be more worried since they haven't done it before.

vera01

Final Flight
@AlexShibutani
Off to H-Town with @MaiaShibutani! See you soon, @CorkyBallas!
5:20 AM - 30 Mar 13
https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/statuses/317974612178792448

Hmmmm ... wonder whether the Shibs will be working on their new SD or FD or both with Ballas.

And still curious about my earlier question, for which MM provided the correct link. (ETA: And yes, I was/am aware that V/M also later performed a full CD of Finnstep in competition. The point of my question is: did they by choice include a bit of Finnstep in their exhibition because they liked the feel of it?)

Does it mean that Shibs would not be working on their new SD/FD with Zueva? If so, has Ballas choreographed an ice dance routine before? I'm curious to see how it'll turn out if they choose to work on their SD/FD with Ballas.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Does it mean that Shibs would not be working on their new SD/FD with Zueva? If so, has Ballas choreographed an ice dance routine before? I'm curious to see how it'll turn out if they choose to work on their SD/FD with Ballas.

I'm sure Ballas and Zueva are working in tandem, just like how the the Japanese choreographer who choreographed the film Memoirs of a Geisha worked on the Shibs' FD this past season with getting the mood, interpretation, and movement right while Zueva was responsible for translating it into a competitive ice dancing routine.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I'm sure Ballas and Zueva are working in tandem...

Agree that in his work with the Shibutanis, Ballas presumably once again is complementing, not replacing, Zoueva.
When the Shibs previously turned to Ballas, I think the rhumba SD was a focus. Don't remember whether he has helped them with other programs too.

Partly I'm wondering about the timing of the current rendezvous with Ballas.
- Is it possible that the Shibs already have a fully choreographed program (from Zoueva) for next season so soon after London Worlds? I suppose at the very least, they still could go ahead and get pointers from Ballas on the Finnstep.
- And does Ballas have any backstage role with DWTS? If so, seems that it could be demanding a lot of time and attention from him at the moment.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Ballas worked with the Shibs in the 2011-2012 season, particularly on their Rhumba short dance. I have not heard that he worked with either V&M or D&W.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not sure I would have picked it for an Oly year; especially if the ISU is trying to sell the sport. But such is life. I really who will get the spirit of the dance.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I am not sure I would have picked it for an Oly year; especially if the ISU is trying to sell the sport. But such is life. I really who will get the spirit of the dance.

I think it's a smart decision since the Finn Step is showier than the other Pattern Dances. Plus, a great quickstep is very audience-friendly and probably translates better to the ice than other rhythms (think Latin).

lcd

Match Penalty
I think it's a smart decision since the Finn Step is showier than the other Pattern Dances. Plus, a great quickstep is very audience-friendly and probably translates better to the ice than other rhythms (think Latin).

I definitely agree with you there. I have no issues with Finn Step as a choice, other than the fact that the judges and technical panel will probably have quite a challenge figuring out how to judge it. Music choices should have enough variety and broad audience appeal. On top of that, for the skaters, the technical demands should help showcase skills which I think make sense to emphasize during an Olympic year.