Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Here's the Finnstep

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vera01 View Post
    Does it mean that Shibs would not be working on their new SD/FD with Zueva? If so, has Ballas choreographed an ice dance routine before? I'm curious to see how it'll turn out if they choose to work on their SD/FD with Ballas.
    Ballas worked with the Shibs in the 2011-2012 season, particularly on their Rhumba short dance. I have not heard that he worked with either V&M or D&W.

Custom Title
    I am not sure I would have picked it for an Oly year; especially if the ISU is trying to sell the sport. But such is life. I really who will get the spirit of the dance.

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I am not sure I would have picked it for an Oly year; especially if the ISU is trying to sell the sport. But such is life. I really who will get the spirit of the dance.
    I think it's a smart decision since the Finn Step is showier than the other Pattern Dances. Plus, a great quickstep is very audience-friendly and probably translates better to the ice than other rhythms (think Latin).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think it's a smart decision since the Finn Step is showier than the other Pattern Dances. Plus, a great quickstep is very audience-friendly and probably translates better to the ice than other rhythms (think Latin).
    I definitely agree with you there. I have no issues with Finn Step as a choice, other than the fact that the judges and technical panel will probably have quite a challenge figuring out how to judge it. Music choices should have enough variety and broad audience appeal. On top of that, for the skaters, the technical demands should help showcase skills which I think make sense to emphasize during an Olympic year.

Useful videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrHfkgp5-xM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfqkOjLlK2A
    (Notice: I didn't do them, I found them and I'm just posting them because I think they are helpful)

Custom Title
    Thanks for that instructive video on the Finnstep. I am sure it will have enough difficulty for ice dancers to please most critics. (I posted this info in Fan Fest area) DWTS pro Derek Hough revealed that he will be doing choreo for Davis/White on a program for Sochi. Good bet that this will be the SD.

And, if I understand well the rules, the twizzle has to be exactly of 1 revolution and a half (a very unusual move), not more, so I think that we will see a lot of levels 1 and 2 for excellent finnesteps because one of the partners has performed a twizzle that had more (or less) than 1 1/2 revolutions right? For skaters who usually have to perform 5/6/7-revolutions twizzles this will be incredibly difficult to perform at the level of perfection that the key-points judging system requires...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    And, if I understand well the rules, the twizzle has to be exactly of 1 revolution and a half (a very unusual move), not more, so I think that we will see a lot of levels 1 and 2 for excellent finnesteps because one of the partners has performed a twizzle that had more (or less) than 1 1/2 revolutions right? For skaters who usually have to perform 5/6/7-revolutions twizzles this will be incredibly difficult to perform at the level of perfection that the key-points judging system requires...
    I dont expect that to be a problem

#TeamAUS
    I really like this dance, especially since it was only used at 2009 euros and four continents. It really separated the boys/girls from the men/women so to speak.

What I'm looking forward to more though is the no touch diagonal step sequence

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I hope some of the teams will choose to do one

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    I wouldn't think this would be a problem. It's kind of like top free skaters performing a waltz jump or a 1-foot spin. It's in the basics. You never forget the basics. You'll just have to polish up on them and perfect them.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    The Finnstep is based on this awesome OSP . Here is what Petri Kokko had to say about it in 2008:

Sadly, it was only used twice, at 2009 Euros and 4CCs. If we've been deprived of the Finnstep as a CD, at least it'll make a comeback as an SD pattern... it'll only be about a million times better than the YP.
    This was the time when I adored the ice dance! Where is twizzle? Thanks God there is no...

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    @derekhough
    Hilarious ! Walked into the ice rink in Detroit and ran into Corky Ballas . Small world
    5:24 PM - 17 Jun 13
    https://twitter.com/derekhough/statu...85476713263104

And shortly before on Twitter:
    @CharlieaWhite
    Sharing our key lime pie three ways... @derekhough and corky- hash tag say what say what http://instagram.com/p/arffPjMT9q/
    5:09 PM - 17 Jun 13
    https://twitter.com/CharlieaWhite/st...81656406953984

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    ice-dance.com's article on the Finnstep and Quickstep pattern dances for 2013/14:

Breaking It Down: Finnstep & Quickstep
    Created on Friday, 21 June 2013 02:03
    http://www.ice-dance.com/main/news/g...step-quickstep

#TeamAUS
    It's going to be interesting which teams will have the best finnstep pattern. It's such a deceptively difficult dance to execute with lots of steps!!
    When it was a compulsory, in my opinion, virtue and moir's interpretation of the dance was the best (even with Tessa's stumble). However, since the compulsory portions are being marked against key points, it's going to be interesting who gets the levels?p.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast