Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu's progress under Orser

~high art~
    I found his FS last season cringe-worthy. I enjoy him much more as a performer now, although I still don't find him particularly artistic.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar

I loved Yuzuru Hanyu's Romeo & Juliet FS from last year.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    What do you mean when you say technicality? After all, this is a skater who had massive early season performance issues.
    Backloading jumps in such a way that they maximize the technical score, without much regard for how the jumps should be used choreographically.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post

I loved Yuzuru Hanyu's Romeo & Juliet FS from last year.
    Me too! Especially at Worlds,

The recent results indicate he is on winning streak and has even beaten Takahashi and Patrick. So yes, he has improved under Orser. I think he's the hot favourite to win Worlds in March.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post

The recent results indicate he is on winning streak and has even beaten Takahashi and Patrick. So yes, he has improved under Orser.
    That's funny. Results and wins don't mean "improve", especially under CoP. Someone used to win and get results and you know where he ended up in Nice (but still winning). There are others winners too (Evan, Sarah, Sale). And where are they now? On the top of polls on various forums "Who is the worst OC?" or somesuch. It's all about what future you want for the skater- to join the "Hall of Fame" for winning losers or for winning legends.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsa G View Post
    In Cricket Club,yuzu began his off-ice training which he didn't do much when he was in sendai.in 10-11 season,he told reporter that his father helped me with physical fitness training.
    when he was 15,he told the journalist he don't want to do off-ice training bcz he want to grow more inches.I find this web page which summarise the program:
    http://off-ice-training.com/
    Programs include:
    * General strength
    * Dynamic strength (power)
    * Core strength (stabilization)
    * Flexibility
    * Quickness (speed & agility)
    * Fitness/postural assesments
    Mostly are strength and power training which require a lot of muscel exercise.Too much weight training can prevent teenage from growing taller.I think now is a good time to do the training.
    I remember Orser told adam to do more off-ice training but adam didn't agree.
    Odd. Cricket Club and Orser always go with capital letters. While yuzu, sendai and adam- not. Must be just a coincidence...

Custom Title
    Never had to use the ignore user feature on Golden Skate before, but I am glad it's there when I finally need it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    I found his FS last season cringe-worthy. I enjoy him much more as a performer now, although I still don't find him particularly artistic.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Why? He simply said he expects one to win over the other. They can't both win. Sure, he could have been diplomatic and said they'll go 1-2, but I don't think there's anything wrong in his comment as he's simply stating his opinion. If Orser says that Yu Na is likely to be the Sochi OGM, should Elene be offended or break things off with him, even if it's true?
    Elene doesn't have a shot at the OGM...Both Javier and Hanyu DO.

I hadn't seen this season's LP until today, and I must say, if Hanyu has improved under Orser, I'm not seeing it. I certainly didn't get the sense that they've found a way to work around the stamina issues, and he seemed bored with his program. Or maybe it was just me finding it dull.

It should be noted, though, that Hanyu made so much progress in his final junior season and his first senior seasons that he's a lot closer to his ceiling now; there's only so much he can improve.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Waiting for the Daisuke Takahashi's regress under Morozov thread to pop up anytime now too . . . :yawn:

Yeah about the stamina, his body is moving but his facial expressions scream I'm tired. But he does have asthma and it's not gonna improve in just one year. This is something that needs to be observed over a long period of time. But I gotta say I didn't notice any of this in his Romeo and Juliet performance last year, so at least we can say he's regressed in hiding his stamina issues.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by starryxskies View Post
    Yeah about the stamina, his body is moving but his facial expressions scream I'm tired. But he does have asthma and it's not gonna improve in just one year. This is something that needs to be observed over a long period of time. But I gotta say I didn't notice any of this in his Romeo and Juliet performance last year, so at least we can say he's regressed in hiding his stamina issues.
    I think it wasn't so noticeable because his exhausted and tired facial expressions suited well with the dramatic music and choreo.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    I think it wasn't so noticeable because his exhausted and tired facial expressions suited well with the dramatic music and choreo.
    I sort of agree with this. He struggled in the second half of the LP all last season and had problems landing his final jump (last season it was the 3S, this season the 3Lz), but while he fought through the final step sequence in both programs, it actually sort of meshed with the overall theme of the R&J program.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast