Yuzuru Hanyu's progress under Orser | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu's progress under Orser

pitterpatter

On the Ice
After 4CC:

I think Hanyu mentally regressed under Orser. Orser did not care for the offload.

I think there is too much pressure on him.

I don't see how going back to train in Japan is going to offset the pressure. He's a huge talent, the current national champ, and happens to hail from an FS-crazed country, so there's going to be pressure no matter what. He's shown that he's quite mentally tough at competitions like Japanese Nats, and hasn't finished lower than 2nd place all season long - I think he's got pretty good competition nerves.

And if Hanyu never starts doing the 4S at some point, how is he going to get it consistent?

His 4S is quite consistent in practice it seems. And when he started jumping the 4T, it was inconsistent too.

Let the kid get a hold of that jump now. He will need it if he wants to be the top contender in the years after Sochi (which is very well possible at this point).

:thumbsup: He's not going to get it consistent unless he keeps putting it out there in competition. He's still so young, I think it makes sense to use this season to test the 4S out.

giulia95

Medalist
Moving from 4CC Ladies Free Skate thread ..

answer to Kalina:

Honestly Yuzu’s 4 Toe was already consistent in R&J FS, since he landed it perfectly at COC, GPF, JN and Worlds. He only missed it ONCE at COR... it was 5 times out of 6 , that is more than 80% at 17 yr...:)

While about the 4T-3Tcombo in the Scriabin SP , I think it was really a very big challenge for a 16-17 years old who had just lost his hometown rink and had nowhere to train
, so no wonder it was inconsistent in competitions ..But at early age Yuzu was already accustomed to challenges since he had the 3A-2T combo in the second half of the FS at 15!!:love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr2ldzvTGgw

Considered that the 4T-3T is actually removed by Orser instead of trying to fix it , there’s no room for improvements for sure in this field and no challenge left, while the 4S that Hanyu had landed successfully in practice and in shows before moving to Canada is still inconsistent and caused him a big trouble in the last 4CC FS some days ago . Yuzu said he lost his concentration after that mistake......

Finally I agree about the 3A , it was already at 100% in competitions together with the insane counter entrance under his former coach at 16-17 years of age.

Thanks for the link Kalina , I’ve watched the interview, but considering the very poor stamina Yuzu has constantly showed in the FS, except for Sochi GPF may be where he trained by himself, it’s a bit difficult to see dramatic improvements in his SS unfortunately, as in his tecnique in general.

Last edited: