Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu's progress under Orser

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    So he has been studying English for over 3 years now but still can't say sentences??
    Probably more than that, English is a mandatory subject in Japanese schools, isn't it? Not that it means anything. I don't know how English is studied there, but here it's a mandatory subject from primary school until high school, and yet you'll find that a lot of teenagers can't communicate beyond simple sentences.
    Anyway, he can communicate in English, even if in a very simple way. He didn't have a translator in the press conference at Finlandia Trophy, but he managed and even answered some questions. Doesn't mean that he has a good enough grasp of the language to speak freely.

Quote Originally Posted by venlac View Post
    Sometimes, some people(fans of that country?) purpose to criticize kim, they make oser 'axis of evil'
    Oh, you're sadly mistaken here.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Lol! The title of this thread is sooo biased that can suggest nothing rational apriori. Because everyone who is not singing arias to Orser for the kid's progress technically will be posting offtopic. So, by the title it's supposed to be one more Cricket Club ubers thread, pretty much the same as Yuzu fan thread has become. Perhaps it's precisely the idea of "rational" for Orser ubers. But I am not the one. With Orser Hanyu regressed in all skating aspects and grossly progressed only in one- Politics/Corruption/Scum (PCS). Actually Hanyu is not the first Orser guy in it but that's beside the point.
    i dont agree
    he continue showing good results,
    Pcs is increasing, rightful.
    Yuzuru Hanyu's pcs is not inflated..
    Last edited by venlac; 02-06-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by venlac View Post
    i dont agree
    he continue showing good results,
    Pcs is increasing, rightful.
    Yuzuru Hanyu's pcs is not inflated..
    But I think Hanyu does have a strong federation support and didn't have to start with a low PCS, like some skaters do. I think it might be considered as an advantage.

+However, I do think that Hanyu is a wonderful skater and I find him to be an amazing skater, especially with his SP.
    Last edited by vera01; 02-06-2013 at 07:30 AM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Even early in the season, at Skate America, Yuzuu's SP was wonderful, and one of my three favorites memories of the event.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by vera01 View Post
    But I think Hanyu does have a strong federation support and didn't have to start with a low PCS, like some skaters do. I think it might be considered as an advantage.

+However, I do think that Hanyu is a wonderful skater and I find him to be an amazing skater, especially with his SP.
    I agree with some degree
    so many skaters in country with a strong federation, such cases have been..
    tacit rule in figure skating
    and it's inevitable..
    Last edited by venlac; 02-06-2013 at 08:09 AM.

On the Ice
    Come on,I already said I will ignore you,why bother quoted from me?
    You constantly told others to ingore you if they don't like your comments.I'm getting well with this solution.Don't provoke me,dear.
    Why don't you put your own words into practice rather than coaching your theory to everybody else?It's cool and feeling much better,believe me

Anyway,back to yuzuru.
    My friend who visited cricket club many times last year told me he was very polite to others but he only talked to the japanese.
    May be he's too shy to talk.
    Last edited by Elsa G; 02-06-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Custom Title
    Off topic, but bringing up something you said a few pages back, Doris, I gather that Lucinda Ruh speaks quite a few languages fluently, including Japanese, as well as English. I seem to recall that her father, a businessman, worked in a succession of countries including the U.S. and Japan, and brought his family with him.

I guess I haven't been following Hanyu closely enough, but I had the impression that he was making a far bigger splash this year than last. I've seen so many GS posters favor him even for gold in Sochi, not just the far-distant 2018 Olympics. His stamina may have gone down or just not improved because his health is in a tough patch at the moment. That can happen at first if someone relocates as Hanyu did from Japan to Canada. Or it might have happened because he's doing more physically demanding skating this year, as he should be in order to progress.

Banned
    Yuzuru understands english but he just can't say enough english words yet
    he said it many times

About Hanyu's language skills - or lack of'em. Some people are simply not good with languages. Just as some people aren't good with maths, or drawing, or singing, or carpentry or... skating. It's not that they can't learn at all - but they just simply aren't ever going to be particularly good at it. I don't see why this is such a cause for amazement?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    About Hanyu's language skills - or lack of'em. Some people are simply not good with languages. Just as some people aren't good with maths, or drawing, or singing, or carpentry or... skating. It's not that they can't learn at all - but they just simply aren't ever going to be particularly good at it. I don't see why this is such a cause for amazement?
    agreed, and I really love Yuzuru just speaking Japanese

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Even early in the season, at Skate America, Yuzuu's SP was wonderful, and one of my three favorites memories of the event.
    hear hear. Mine as well! Also the cute Japanese girls tracking down Orser at the hotel to give more gifts to Yuzuru!

Custom Title
    I am seriously curious what Orser's team does to improve his strength / endurance. Stamina issue really is a huge roadblock. At practices Yuzuru seems to be wearing this medical device that monitors his heart rates?

Also how successful is Orser in restraining Yuzuru from excessive jump training? In Canada and in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    English is not rocket science, and at this young age he can improve fast if prioritized properly. Cute chart with difficulty rating for languages.

And it's more like concern than amazement. When he trains in Japan it would not be a problem at all. Working with Orser's team however, effective communication is crucial to avoid misunderstanding, save precious training time, reduce homesickness, and get more out of the coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsa G View Post
    My friend who visited cricket club many times last year told me he was very polite to others but he only talked to the japanese.
    May be he's too shy to talk.
    Too shy to talk? Somehow to me he always came across as the playful kind who fools around with skaters from all countries. And I thought he is close to Javier? Oh wait fooling around does not necessarily involve much talking...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    I am seriously curious what Orser's team does to improve his strength / endurance. Stamina issue really is a huge roadblock. At practices Yuzuru seems to be wearing this medical device that monitors his heart rates?

Also how successful is Orser in restraining Yuzuru from excessive jump training? In Canada and in Japan?
    What is known, is that he has increased his training time -- he only used to train one or two hours a day on the ice, and didn't do any off-ice training. Now he trains three or four hours every day on the ice, and then takes ballet lessons for one hour/one hour and a half.
    Orser has him do more run-throughs of his programs than he did before, and makes him train skating skills at the end of his training time, because when he's tired his strokes become 'short'. Yuzuru also said that when he fails a jump for a few times, he gets told to go and do something else.

Difficulty charts for languages are not much reliable, and in no way absolute. And by the way, the chart you posted rates difficulty for English speakers
    Last edited by Kalina; 02-06-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the insight into Hanyu's current training program, Kalina. That sounds like a sensible approach and good progress as well.

As for learning languages, some people really do have a flair for learning a language in more than a merely utilitarian way. I have two friends, both Bulgarian, both of whom learned English rather late--around when they came here as adults. One creates beautifully constructed sentences; she has always been a bookworm and loves language of any kind for its own sake, and she also watches TV programs like Charlie Rose and goes to movies. She rarely makes grammatical errors except in things like past participles (she says "let we do this" instead of "let us," for instance). The other is fluent but less smooth, and she often constructs a substitute for what she wants to say instead of using the most natural and correct way of putting the phrase. But she is fluent enough that her wit and humor come across, and she is constantly improving. I'm not saying this to criticize, since both these friends put me to shame. Not only are they conversant in a second language besides their own (different alphabet, even), while my French has rusted over from disuse, but they are each also fluent in Russian. But it's interesting to hear the different degree of facility with English that both of these fluent speakers have developed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast