Bavarian Open 2013 - Obertsdorf, 6-11.02 | Golden Skate

Bavarian Open 2013 - Obertsdorf, 6-11.02

Starting Order/Results

An absolutely incredible amount of entries. I am really surprised given Obertsdorf is not easy to get to. I guess this is the last attempt for many skaters to reach the Worlds minimum score.

29 Senior Men (Nakamura, Oda, Hendrickx returning from injury, Pfeifer, voidy Mattick et al)!
38 (!!!) Senior Ladies (Hecken, Weinzierl, McCorkell, Nishino, Maxwell, Olsson et al)!
10 Senior Pairs (Della Monica/Guarise, Antipova/Maisuradze, Stolbova/Klimov et al)!
21 Senior Ice Dance teams (Kolbe/Caruso, Zhiganshina/Gazsi, Coomes/Buckland, Tobias/Stagniunas, Pushkash/Guerreiro et al)!

20 Junior Men, 50 Junior Ladies (!!!), 7 Pair teams, 33 Junior Ice Dance teams (!!!), 12 Novice Boys, 56 Novice Girls (!!!)

Wow.

Looking through the entries:

Senior Men
Armenian Hayrapetyan brothers are back. I don't remember them competing a lot (if at all) this season so far.
This will be the first competition for Hendrickx since returning from injury (with Challenge Cup to follow soon after).
I feel really sorry for Gaylord Lavoiser. Nursery and school probably weren't very much fun. :/
Harry Mattick is awesome and I hope he can skate another clean SP but a better FS than at Nordics.

Senior Ladies
I hope Couwenberg can land her jumps and come closer to reaching the minimum Worlds scores. She's such a stunning, elegant skater.
Hecken will skate against Weinzierl and I wonder whether whoever will come on top be sent to Worlds?

Senior Pairs
This will be the first competition for Siudeks' trained Foucher/Magyar (with Challenge Cup to follow soon).
Lech/Tyc and Klatka/Chruscinski will finally skate against each other and I hope the winner goes to Junior Worlds.
First international comp for the new team Antipova/Maisuradze, I think.

Senior Ice Dance

First event for Tobias/Stagniunas since missing Euros because of his injury.

There is a Novice Girl from Luxembourg which is nice to see because Maxwell has been this country's lone representative for a long time now.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Tobias / Stagniunas are still looking for TES for Worlds in one of the programs, I don't remember which, so this event is important for them. The Dance TES has not been changed. I hope Deividas is healed up all right.

It will be interesting to see how the Polish pairs do against each other.

Not to mention how Hecken will skate against Weinzierl.

Austrian and Polish Ice Dance teams will skate against each other as well. All four of them are looking for Worlds minimum scores also. Not a very high chance of that happening but I will be keeping my fingers crossed for them and other skaters as well.

Plutowska/Gerber have been training with Igor Shpilband for over 6 months now IIRC and I hope they've made some good progress.

Weinzierl has had better results so far this season (that's why she was sent to Euros) but when they competed head to head at German Nationals, Hecken won.

If Hecken wins again, but only by a small margin, I would still send Weinzierl to be honest as she's skated very well to place 8th at her first Europeans.

Last edited:

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Agafonova/Ucar of TUR are also competing for minimum TES of short dance. They came close in Torun Cup and Europeans (28.5) but unfortunately couldn't make it. I hope they will make it here, otherwise Turkey won't be represented at Worlds this year.

Agafonova/Ucar of TUR are also competing for minimum TES of short dance. They came close in Torun Cup and Europeans (28.5) but unfortunately couldn't make it. I hope they will make it here, otherwise Turkey won't be represented at Worlds this year.

Are you kidding me? Agafonova/Ucar gave an incredible, jaw-dropping performance in the SD (and had a great FS as well) and I was sure that they've easily made both scores. :(

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Unfortunately they have this last chance to go to World Championships. I hope they have prepared very well with Zhulin.

ISU really needs to realise that the level in Ice Dance has increased massively over the last several years. And there's much more teams competing nowadays as well. They need to increase participation not shut really talented skaters out.

Agafonova/Ucar were amazing in the SD at Euros and I seriously cannot believe they didn't earn enough. ISU should have lowered the ID scores slightly and allow more teams to qualify to the FD at all ISU Championships.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, they should, indeed.

Turkey has a good junior dance team as well, Cagla Demirsal & Berk Akalin; Turkey is putting together quite a program. I love to see one of the younger federations really grow.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They have quite a few men & ladies....some will not make the team for Europeans...can forming a pair be far behind ;)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I see quite a few Jr. Ladies got their Jr. Worlds TES score :party2: in the SP

Last edited:
In Advanced Novice Girls II, Chiara Calderone from Italy pulled up from 17th place to win the event!!! She landed a 3lutz and a 3salchow, which is really impressive at this level.

Alison Perticheto, formerly of the Switzerland IIRC, now of the Philippines had decent outing in both programs and I hope she will get sent to Junior Worlds.

Not bad outings for Taleb and super voidy Ventard either. I wonder whether Taleb coming on top means she will be sent to Junior Worlds.

Netherlands has a Junior Lady (Kim Bell) rotation 3lutz and 3flip!

Senior Ladies SP done.

Weinzierl triumphed over Hecken but it was close. I am a little surprised that Rajicova is first on TES but trailing behind on PCS. She's a very elegant skater and I would have thought the judges would go with her if she lands her jumps. Maybe the speed and power are lacking in comparison to other top skaters?

The following skaters have reached the TES of 26 or more (no idea whether they had the Worlds SP minimum score before or not but most already did IIRC):
Nicole Rajicova 29.79
Nathalie Weinzierl 29.66
Francesca Rio 28.24
Sarah Hecken 28.06
Isabelle Olsson 26.95
Roberta Rodeghiero 26.32

And that's it. :(

Camilla Gjersem was really close with 25.73. She landed 3loop/2toe, 3toe and 2axel and this kind of technical content really should be enough.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
very nice debut from A/M, they won TES but S/K are ahead in PCS

short program pairs:

1 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV RUS 59.84
2 Julia ANTIPOVA / Nodari MAISURADZE RUS 59.74
3 Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE GER 49.20
4 Stina MARTINI / Severin KIEFER AUT 40.50
5 Marcelina LECH / Jakub TYC POL 36.34
6 Camille FOUCHER / Mark MAGYAR HUN 32.28
http://eiskunstlauf.bev-eissport.de/BO2013/SEG005.HTM

Oh look Klatka/Chruscinski WD not to face the direct skate-off against Lech/Tyc. *sigh*
ETA: Forget what I said L/C have been entered to Junior Worlds. :)

Another good skate for Proelss/Blommaert in Junior Pairs. A really promising young team. :)

Stolbova/Klimov actually landed their jumps whilst Antipova/Maisuradze had a problem on the 3toe but S/K blew the twist as usual and A/M got a Lv4 twist with +2 and +3 GOEs!

Last edited:
Solid win for Weinzierl. Without a doubt she should be sent to both Junior and Senior Worlds, if she wants to. :)

Only 4 ladies managed to earn 46 TES in the FS:
Nathalie Weinzierl 58.94
Sarah Hecken 50.05
Nicole Rajicova 50.10
Tina Sturzinger 49.96

Tina Sturzinger now has both the SP and the FS score and can go to Worlds! :)

Nicole Rajicova now has both scores as well but I assume that Simancikova will be sent.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Stolbova/Klimov actually landed their jumps whilst Antipova/Maisuradze had a problem on the 3toe but S/K blew the twist as usual and A/M got a Lv4 twist with +2 and +3 GOEs!

S/K is like K/S, terrible and ugly twists, I dont think that can be much improved
they will always be behind in B/L, V/T and now A/M in levels of twists

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Freeskate Results:

1 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV RUS 123.03
2 Julia ANTIPOVA / Nodari MAISURADZE RUS 114.24
3 Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE GER 102.68
4 Marcelina LECH / Jakub TYC POL 78.53
5 Stina MARTINI / Severin KIEFER AUT 73.78
6 Camille FOUCHER / Mark MAGYAR HUN 69.39
http://eiskunstlauf.bev-eissport.de/BO2013/SEG006.HTM

Overall Scores:

1 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV RUS 182.87
2 Julia ANTIPOVA / Nodari MAISURADZE RUS 173.98
3 Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE GER 151.88
4 Marcelina LECH / Jakub TYC POL 114.87
5 Stina MARTINI / Severin KIEFER AUT 114.28
6 Camille FOUCHER / Mark MAGYAR HUN 101.67

http://eiskunstlauf.bev-eissport.de/BO2013/CAT003RS.HTM

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm quite fond of Proelss & Blommaert. I hope they medal at Jr. Worlds!

If Vartmann & Van Cleave hadn't gotten their TES before for both SP & FS, they did here. Good for them!
and Lech & Tyc got theirs for the FS, under the revised limits, if they hadn't already.
I believe the new limits are Pairs SP 24.00 points (instead of 28.00) FS 41.00 points (instead of 45.00)?

Do Lech & Tyc have the SP TES limit from another competition?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
C/C are still inconsistent after 2 seasons now skating together hope they do better this summer's break to get a JGP assignment next season