Kwan and Kim at the Special Olympics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kwan and Kim at the Special Olympics

vera01

Final Flight
It was amazing to see Michelle and Yuna skate together to "Hero" again:) Michelle and Yuna, without a doubt, is one of the most amazing skaters in history of figure skating!

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks for the video and photos - these brought the hugest smile to my face! Really touching! That Michelle can really move - I loved her Gangam!!!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
was it just yesterday MK was 23 and competing her last 2 years. She must skate a little to stay fit. I can't imagine dull DC events could replace her stardom on ice. Staet a tour MK. Please. Yuna is at the peak of her beauty. Are we looking at the future Oly Champ?

Krislite

Medalist
was it just yesterday MK was 23 and competing her last 2 years. She must skate a little to stay fit. I can't imagine dull DC events could replace her stardom on ice. Staet a tour MK. Please. Yuna is at the peak of her beauty. Are we looking at the future Oly Champ?

Are you referring to Michelle? Despite the wishes of many here, I don't think she's coming back. ;)

verysmuchso

On the Ice
These two ladies are kind of becoming the two god mothers of winter sports, aren't they? Smart way of managing their brand I'd say, although Yuna at times does not look as convincing as Michelle in those shoes, cause she still looks quite shy.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
These two ladies are kind of becoming the two god mothers of winter sports, aren't they? Smart way of managing their brand I'd say, although Yuna at times does not look as convincing as Michelle in those shoes, cause she still looks quite shy.

Yes, you can see that. Michelle just looks utterly comfortable and happy out there. Yuna is lovely but more reserved.

It is interesting. It always seemed like Michelle gave so much of herself in her performances and reached out so much to the audience (and vice versa) that it's hard to imagine what could replace that for her. You'd think reading policy briefs and holding meetings would be somewhat dull in comparison, or at least much quieter. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if she does run for office someday. She is a natural in the spotlight, and it would give her that contact with the public that she's familiar with.

Yes, Michelle was like a living magnet on the ice, and I've always found YuNa a bit more reserved even when skating. She's plenty generous with her time and attention, but she's a shade less outgoing. Part of that may be due to growing up in another culture, and part may be due to the fact that her life is a goldfish bowl the likes of which no American skater can even imagine. She seems to be literally the biggest celebrity in Korea.

Michelle does have an unusual amount of natural charisma. As Peggy Fleming once said, she took us on her emotional journey through the music when she skated. I remember when some people complained that Sasha Cohen wasn't musically expressive enough. (Sasha Cohen not expressive! It boggles the mind.) But compared to Michelle, almost everyone looked like an automaton. I speak as someone who loves all three of these skaters a whole lot--though of course I love Michelle the best.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
That's why I wouldn't be surprised if she does run for office someday. She is a natural in the spotlight, and it would give her that contact with the public that she's familiar with.

Totally. I bet she'd make a great elected official. As for Yuna, I sometimes get the feeling that she is also groomed (by her mom or her management firm) for a similar career path. Who remembers the correspondence between Yuna and Hilary Clinton backed in 2010, shortly after the Vancouver oly? I'm not sure if that's really the right post-competition career path for Yuna,or whether she relishes playing such public role, but who knows? She seems so impenetrable sometimes, but she also knows how to 'burn brightly':the queen, after all, was once a painfully shy junior skater before she got out of her shell.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see Michelle running for public office. First she would have to learn to speak "political spin," that strange language halfway between truth and lie that is the bread-and-butter of politics. ;) I can see her more in an appointive public service post, like an ambassador or something.

Her new husband, on the other hand, is no doubt expected to charge into the political fray at some point. He is the go-to guy in his generation of a powerful Rhode Island political family with roots in Rhode Island politics going back 150 years.

This piicture was posted on FSU today of Michelle with some of Clay's family at the rehearsal dinner, held at the Pell home. Pictured are (front) Michelle, (back from left) Karen Kwan; Christopher Neal and Christina Pell Neal, Clay's sister and brother-in-law; Clay; Clay's mom, well-known landscape and portrait artist Genii Pell; and father of the bride Danny Kwan.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9988.112595.138305096190094&type=1&permPage=1

What a great photo, Math! Thanks for bringing it to us.

I also think she would be more at home in an appointed post, or active in the nonprofit world. But it's going to be fascinating to see how she moves forward.