Lets all be careful out there....
Just so you know, we are having a bad winter for Norovirus (wrongly called "Stomach flu")
It can strike summer and winter but there is a new strain from Australia here now.....
I have had this four times in my life...6 hours after incubation starts you will get nauseous, then have
projectile vomiting and diarreah at the same time for some hours, then you will curl up in a ball and
moan till you pass out. When you awake, you will feel better but weak. My doc tells me at this point it
is critical that you re-hydrate with sports drinks to get your blood pressure up....or you will faint like these
pilots did. Airports, planes, and cruise ships are hotbeds for this virus and all it takes is an infected fork
touching your lip to get it. You dont want to faint driving to a doc's office...
Chris who now travels with two quarts of Gatorade.
"Alaska Airlines says illness caused one of its pilots to pass out Thursday, while flying a Boeing 737-700 with 116 aboard out of Los Angeles for Seattle, leading the copilot to declare an emergency, divert, and land safely at Portland. The pilot, who has reportedly flown with the airline for 28 years, stood up while the aircraft was at cruise and flying on autopilot. While leaving the cockpit, he became dizzy, lost consciousness and fell to the floor in the cabin in front of passengers. The airline says the pilot suffered from an illness that it reported non-specifically as a food or flu-like virus. Alaska Airlines experienced a similar fainting episode on Jan. 22.
In the most recent incident, the copilot, an 11-year veteran of the airline, assumed command when the pilot became incapacitated. A doctor was summoned from the cabin and gave care to the pilot until they were met by medical personnel upon landing. The flight continued with different crew members. The Jan. 22 incident involved an Alaska Airlines flight out of Seattle for Las Vegas with 146 aboard. In that case, the copilot briefly lost consciousness while the aircraft was flying on autopilot roughly one half hour before landing. The pilot declared an emergency and landed with priority at Las Vegas. The copilot was taken to a hospital for evaluation and the hospital declined to release more information."
I suspect that this is the virus that caused Hillary Clinton to faint and hit her head.
Yes, please everyone be careful. Wash your hands really thoroughly (they used to say to sing two choruses of "Happy Birthday")--this isn't 100% effective but goes a long way toward protecting yourself and those around you. I think it might help to take some probiotic food as prevention, such as yogurt with live cultures or acidophilus capsules, because that does boost your immune system a bit. Keep surfaces clean with things like Lysol and bleach-containing compounds. (This is one time where soap and water won't be enough for scrubbing things down.) I envy people with dishwashers, because water gets hot enough to kill the germs that way. Those of us with just sinks need to be more thorough than usual.
Stay strong, everyone!
Yes, you are absolutely correct...HRD had it....when I went to the doc, he said "I will give you a choice. You go to the hospital and get an IV or you go home and drink two quarts of Gatorade just as fast as you can.
Article on the evening news about which is better, hand wash in a bottle with alcohol or PROPER washing at a sink. The sink will get you more viruses if done properly but there are issues....you have to turn the water off (use hand towel) and get out of the bathroom and back to your table, pull back your chair at the eatery and reseat yourself without touching your hands. I carry the bottle....
(When I get this at home, my loving, caring wife says, "If you give this to me, I will kill you!" I have a bathroom right next to my spare bedroom)
Oddly, once you have had it twice or so, it doesnt scare the crap out of you...you recongnize it, and are mentally prepared for the four hours of Hadies on earth.....
Originally Posted by Olympia
The land of SnuggleBat and Cuddlepie
I had it the first time around, before it left Australia. Nasty, nasty, horrible, evil. Of course, it went around the whole house before we were able to get a lid on it. (My sister, father, and mother all started vomiting within fifteen minutes of each other. If it wasn't so serious, it would have been funny.)
Watch out especially if you work with kids. That's where mine came from - I'd been doing a practical at a preschool and brought it home with me without ever knowing. If one person in your house gets it, I recommend what we did: bleach and disinfectant in a bucket, go round wiping down all the doorknobs, handles, and anything touched by anyone.
On the Ice
I had this too. Hydration is crucial! Can't emphasize that enough! Luckily, I got mine after Nationals. We think my husband got it at work (hospital) and shared it. I still have an eye infection related to it. Infection is going to do us all in.