2013 4CC Men-Short Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2013 4CC Men-Short Program

Dots

Final Flight
Great to see Richard finally put a somewhat-decent performance. Go get them in the FP kiddo! ;)

Takahashi should really be lower, however that was a lovely sp. I know he fell blah blah blah ... but that was still a beautiful performance.

Now for the bad...

Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit creepy how underweight Hanyu looks? :disapp: I just can't get over it. There's no way that is normal. There is no way! I really hope it's just me... :scowl:

OMG! US Guys !! 9th & 10th place! USFSA must be peeing their pants as we speak. :slink:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Max falls on his 3A. And I believe Richard is not going to worlds, is he? Imagine the frustration if he ends the competition in front of Ross and Max

If Richard is the top American here, he might get added as the 1st alternate for Worlds. Abbott turned down being an alternate for Worlds to let his back heal and work on the quad, and Rippon is injured, meaning Farris is now the only alternate left, and he's already going to Jr. Worlds so I wouldn't be surprised if Ricky becomes the new first alternate after 4CC (not that it's likely to mean anything in terms of actually going to Worlds).

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Richard could easily bomb at World. I think this SP is more of a fluke than what he can do "normally"
I still put my money on the other two.

Icey

Record Breaker
He should be getting something like 4.75 for SS max.

In all his intentional events this year his ss have ranged from 6.82 to 6.89, so the ss score here, 7.54, is not a huge leap.

Last edited:

Kalina

On the Ice
Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit creepy how underweight Hanyu looks? :disapp: I just can't get over it. There's no way that is normal. There is no way! I really hope it's just me... :scowl:

People all over the world have different physiques. He's not unhealthy, he's just one of those people with small frames and high metabolism, that have difficulty in putting on muscles. He'll fill out a bit as he gets older.

In all his intentional events this year his ss have ranged from 6.82 to 6.89, so the ss score here, 7.54, is not a huge leap.

So he has. But given how his basics still look, I can't see how you can say he's undermarked.

I think the 7s for CH and IN are ok. But for SS and PE no way. Transitions-wise, I don't think that program was particularly strong either but I can't fully recall it now.

We need to start a SAVE KEVIN! campaign. Because it's been obvious for a number of years now that McLeod is not even trying to fix any of his issues. :/

That's how all skaters should look, ideally.

Perfect build for skating and you can see he's in top shape. Lean, dense muscle and not an ounce of body fat.

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
Being thin is not an indicator of poor health. When I was in high school I weighed 120 lbs and was 5'9" and had no health problems. I tried everything to gain weight even trying a popular product of the day Weight On. lol I frequently got comments like " a good wind would blow you away", which made me sensitive about my weight. Oh, for those days again lmao. I know he deals with asthma, but I don't think that affects his weight

Last edited:

giulia95

Medalist

:slink:

It's not just you, unfortunately..., he lost a lot of weight last fall too..:slink:

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Moonlight should have been saved for another year. It's too late in the year to be changing to another SP Even Dai's spins were lacking. In the last one, he travelled badly. He was gifted to be as high up as he is.

I liked it--a lot. Funny, because I especially liked the long spinning sequence about 3/4 of the way through. The only problem I saw was on the jumps. Dai can fix that. He is a compelling skater, no matter what the program--he skates in one continuous, flowing motion, from start to finish. I can't wait to see this program skated clean.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
NIPPON!!! :rock:
JSF and SC should marry each other and take ISU as a wedding minister. Match made in heaven! :party2: How shamless must be these institutions are in applying what they call "judging" I wonder. Han Yan should be in the lead. Clean and way more mature than Manga Blues. Hanyu is only 6th :eek: in BV, no matter how much GOE they tried, he still ended up on 4th in TES. All the rest PCS did, which they pulled up abnormally, trying to close the gap as much as possible. So, he is officially now a zamboni winner, i.e. someone who fails TES but is pulled by PCS on the top, seen it a lot (Chan, Caro, Mao). Well, I have to admit the 3-fall cusion in FS (see the Mathman's thread in the Edge on this calculation) is not an option now, that's why papa Orser looked slightly disappointed- he realized that they have to actually skate FS more or less, which wasn't Yuzu's best forte this season. But a 2-fall cusion for the kid is not that bad either. Someone told me not to call him "kid" since he is 18yo. Okay, I now won't- he is an adult who is fuly responsible for his actions: I find his reaction in K&C when he saw that he is first, quite disgusting: "You see guys, I don't even need to have a combo but I am still on the top!" For a long time I was thinking that Hanyu is a good kid in his heart who happened to be under the wrong influence recently. I am not that sure anymore. :disapp:

Dai's costume is an engagement ring- sapphire, diamonds and platinum. After last season, when Dai had two of the best progs in Men's history and wasn't winning, I am not blaming the skater/team for choosing something that ISU judges can comprehend. I think their (ISU judges') and Morozov's intellects are of the same level, that's why they usually appreciate Morozov's work. But Dai is that good performer who can pull anything in masterpiece. Quite smooth soft flow, still rather raw, for now, but promosing, I am sure it will get better by Worlds. As for jumps, he did everything in the warm-up perfectly. I don't remember any practice report where it was mentioned that he fell on 3A. So, the answer on what happened today is only one: nerves. When the skater knows that besides the progs, jumps, elements and usual pressure, he also has to deal with dirty games of his own federation, as Japanese Nationals proved, not a surprise that he goes under more pressure than usual.

I hope Han Yan doesn't feel bad after what happened. Well, the difference between 1st and 5th is 6 points only, technically quite reachable for gold for anyone, but I doubt a newly-crowned zamboni winner will lose his nickel, unless smth. very unexpected happens. Between 1st and 8th- less than 9 points. I expect competition for silver/bronze in a sport way.

Who is the American Max? I didn't see US Nationals and today I saw that he is a new US champion? Oh.... Rather poor copy of Stojko. Probably the lack of international competitions played his game with him, or whatever. I can't say I was hooked by his prog/elements. Will see. :popcorn:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Was a good competition overall for me. Quite enjoyed it cause many boys went for a quad(s)! :) some succeeded and some didn't, though...

:jaw: to Yan's huuuge jumps!!! I thought he would score over 50 on TES.
Good job from Hanyu, except for that unexpected pop on the Lutz. His higher PCS saved him from losing to Han.
Very nice performance from Dornbush! Why hadn't he done like that at US Nats? :bang:
As for Takahashi...Since it was going to be his first performance with a new program, so late in the season, and was at the Championship, I was prepared for much worse, to be honest. Like Hanyu, his higher PCS also saved him to stay at 4th. Surprised to see Lv4 stepsq, cause he lost the balance here and there, but still got Lv4. Regardless like it or not, we have to admit Morozov is one of the best in the business at how to get the required levels on spins/steps. :cool: Wished he could have shown more of himself in performance-wise, though. Hope he has enough time to prepare/refine this new SP for the worlds.
A gutsy performance from Son and Ge!
Sorry about UR calls on both quads of Reynolds. Very sad for Balde...:cry:
Mura appeared a bit nervous, wasn't he? Hope he and Takahashi come back strong in the Free tomorrow!

Good night, everyone!

venlac

On the Ice
there were not memorable choreographer in sp "moonlight"
so, I think Hanyu's pcs was higher than daisuke.
he seems doing very easy to connection of movements and jumps,
A few years later, i think he able to get the full record, if he pull up the stamina for perfectly skating in long rogram.

And Han yan, his skating skills and jump's landing, distance, height is enormous.
I think he has possiblity to be a top skater.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
His higher PCS saved him from losing to Han.

Like Hanyu, his higher PCS also saved him to stay at 4th.
Agree about Hanyu and Han issue. But where is the case "like Hanyu" with Dai? Among those who are below Dai only Song got higher TES- less than 3 points. And no matter how much I like TES and quad combo, I don't think that the difference between Dai's PCS and Song's should be enough to give the last guy an upper place. So, I don't see where Dai took someone else's 4th postion thanks to his PCS.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I don't think Dornbush will hold it together in the FS. There's a huge gap between him and Aaron but if Aaron lands his jumps, he can still come on top.

Richard could easily bomb at World. I think this SP is more of a fluke than what he can do "normally"
I still put my money on the other two.

RickyD had a great start to the season, and then he had flukey problems again, apparently with a nagging minor ankle injury if I'm not mistaken, and then he was under the weather at Nationals (flu virus was going around there). Ricky was in the running to make the World team had he been at full strength at Nationals. ITA with AlexRus, re let's just wait and see what happens in the free skate at 4CCs. Certainly, Ricky is well-positioned, but anything can happen. Aaron can pull up if he lands his jumps like he did at Nationals in the lp -- but I doubt "come on top," unless you mean on top of Ricky and Ross. I think if Ricky goes clean and lands a quad, he'd possibly still get better PCS than Max, and Ricky is also in a better position right now.

Let us wait FS and final results. All may change.

Remember, at Nationals Aaron had FS score more than 24 points higher than Dornbush.

The 24 points higher is because Dornbush was not at full strength physically. It wasn't a slam dunk that Max would make the podium going into Nationals. It was his fairly squeaky clean delivery and quads in both programs that vaulted him to the top. The problem for Max is being a newbie internationally, so judges are less inclined to forgive him the slightest mistake. Plus Max and Ross both skated earlier than other high level guys, which also hurt their marks.

I think both Ross and Max are very competitive with Ten (when Denis is inconsistent) and definitely on a par or better than Mura. Ross has better overall basics than Reynolds and Song, but Ross has to be more secure with his quads under pressure. The judges love exquisite jumping ability, great flow and ice coverage so they over-rewarded Han Yan on CH and IN.

OMG! US Guys !! 9th & 10th place! USFSA must be peeing their pants as we speak. :slink:

Ha ha, maybe the ISU is just messing with USFS' minds. :p Change comes slowly, but USFS either have to change their selection process, or hope one or two of the very talented U.S. men step it up a notch and start throwing their weight around vs the top guys internationally more consistently and more insistently. All things being equal, I have no beef with USFS selections this year. Ricky was on the cusp and he had bad luck not to do well enough to make the World team. Ricky did not skate well at Nationals, and he was only the second alternate for 4CC. Rippon suffered an injury, so Ricky (turned bad luck into good) got a chance to show his stuff on the bigger stage and he took advantage of it in the sp.

I do have a beef with USFS selections in 2011 when if they had been smarter about realizing Abbott was the better respected and more talented and experienced veteran to lead the World team despite his Nats lp miscues, the U.S. might not have lost the third spot that year. I know that's beating a dead horse, but dead horses clearly come back to bite, or at least to haunt. Okay, Max and Ross, you gotta be GHOSTBUSTERS! :laugh: :cool:

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Well surprising results never would have thought Han and Dornbush to be in 2nd and 3rd position.

Quite impressed with young Han wonderfully skated SP. Thrilled for Ricky for having such a great skate.

Unfortunately Dai did not have a good skate today and I though that his marks reflected what he put out on the ice.
Very nice program just needs more mileage. GO Dai!

Congrats to Hanyu, Han and Ricky, well done!