Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Thread: 2013 4CC Men-Short Program

Rinkside
    Give Yan Han some time. Maybe in a year or two, he will be Yuzuru's rival for life. These two young men can make a great competition for each other and even the world

Custom Title
    Wow, Han Yan was just great!!! He has it all, the jumps, spins, skating skills and artistry! Very impressive. The young Chinese skaters are very artistic, not like the old generations.

Sorry to see Kevin Reynolds got two URs on the quad, I think the 4S looked just fine, and the 4T was slightly short. How much short you get < and how much you get <<?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilvskating View Post
    Wow, Han Yan was just great!!! He has it all, the jumps, spins, skating skills and artistry! Very impressive. The young Chinese skaters are very artistic, not like the old generations.

Sorry to see Kevin Reynolds got two URs on the quad, I think the 4S looked just fine, and the 4T was slightly short. How much short you get < and how much you get <<?

Han Yan is a phenomenal skater, especially for being only 16. But please, Han's artistry and maturity are not all the way there yet. He is definitely an exciting jumper with effortless ability (his jumps are sublime to watch). However, the judges are over-rewarding him on CH and IN, perhaps because his other skills are so mesmerizing including blade work, smooth flow and ice coverage. He has average spins with good speed and centering, but his stretch and positions on spins could be improved. When he gets good choreography and improves in other areas, the sky's the limit.

Nan Song showed improvement in presentation, but he too lacks polish and maturity. His artistry is still a work in progress. I did enjoy the choreography Jeff Buttle created for Nan. In any case, Nan was clean, although a bit slow and telegraphing going into his jumps. It could be argued that Nan should be in front of Dai. However, I think Dai, Richard, Han and Hanyu have better overall presentation skills than Nan.

You mention Chinese skaters not having artistry in older generations. But there have been male skaters of Chinese descent who were very skilled all-around, including David Liu (of Taiwan) who was very artistically accomplished, and Chengjiang Li of China who was an excellent jumper, but also improved his artistry later in his career.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Han Yan is a phenomenal skater, especially for being only 16. But please, Han's artistry and maturity are not all the way there yet. He is definitely an exciting jumper with effortless ability (his jumps are sublime to watch). However, the judges are over-rewarding him on CH and IN, perhaps because his other skills are so mesmerizing including blade work, smooth flow and ice coverage. He has average spins with good speed and centering, but his stretch and positions on spins could be improved. When he gets good choreography and improves in other areas, the sky's the limit.

Nan Song showed improvement in presentation, but he too lacks polish and maturity. His artistry is still a work in progress. I did enjoy the choreography Jeff Buttle created for Nan. In any case, Nan was clean, although a bit slow and telegraphing going into his jumps. It could be argued that Nan should be in front of Dai. However, I think Dai, Richard, Han and Hanyu have better overall presentation skills than Nan.

You mention Chinese skaters not having artistry in older generations. But there have been male skaters of Chinese descent who were very skilled all-around, including David Liu (of Taiwan) who was very artistically accomplished, and Chengjiang Li of China who was an excellent jumper, but also improved his artistry later in his career.
    yes, now I remember Changjiang Li did improve a great deal later in his career. Was it Chicago ? A program really surprised me.

Custom Title
    I like Daisuke's new SP better than his LP and the last SP. So beautiful program. I think he just needs time to grow the program and he knows it. I really want to see him skate this SP perfectly.

Not to mention Hanyu, I was impressed by Han Yan and Nan Song!! Future of men's figure skating is bright and exciting

About Kevin, I am very looking forward to seeing his 3F-3Lo combo in LP (I just like it).
    Last edited by yude; 02-09-2013 at 02:00 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Agree about Hanyu and Han issue. But where is the case "like Hanyu" with Dai? Among those who are below Dai only Song got higher TES- less than 3 points. And no matter how much I like TES and quad combo, I don't think that the difference between Dai's PCS and Song's should be enough to give the last guy an upper place. So, I don't see where Dai took someone else's 4th postion thanks to his PCS.
    Ok, ok I take it back. Don't grill me. ^; I am far from writing perfect English, making grammatical errors here and there all the time. You know that. Maybe I should have written without mentioning 'like Hanyu', and I should have used 'high PCS', instead of 'higher PCS'.

By my saying Dai's PCS 'higher', I didn't mean he should deserve lower than 4th, or was gifted/held up a big time with super-inflated PCS here, but I meant he rightfully/accordingly placed not lower not higher but 4th by judges for what he did on the ice. He had an off day in jump-wise. So was penelized in TES. But judges still appreciated him and agreed on, in spite of a step-out on 4T and fall on 3A, he was the deserving 2nd on PCS among all skaters who got to compete on the night. So was awarded with higher PCS than others, behind Hanyu. And that's how ISU has been rescuing, for decades, top-tier skaters on their rare off days, right? If it were, say, a skater like Mura who performed exactly the same program and exactly with the same mistakes, he probably could not have held onto 4th place. Or, say, if a Chan a Amodio and a Fernandez also got to compete here, Dai himself could not have held onto 4th either. So I wanted to say that he was lucky because, at this particular competition, he is literally one of the only two top-tier skaters with higher PC than the rest of the field, so that his high program components marks saved him not to place lower than 4th here. And he was lucky that he made those mistakes here, not in London next month, I thought.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yude View Post
    About Kevin, I am very looking forward to seeing his 3F-3Lo combo in LP (I just like it).
    Me too. I literally popped my eyes out when I saw it at Canadian Nats. Hope he pulls himself together and gets all his jumps clean and *fully rotated.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    That's how all skaters should look, ideally.
    Then we would see a lot of skaters who look like that and no one would scream how creepy and no way normal such look is. Nevertheless, Yuzu's abnormal thinness is not as unhealthy thing as some people's enjoyment of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    So was penelized in TES.
    He was. He had the highest BV among all skaters but got -GOE, so he ended up with 5th in TES, 4th overall. That is what I like about Dai and Plu- they always go down in the chart when they make mistakes, i.e. they are never pulled up on the top by PCS as some Green Princes and Princesses.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Daisuke can skate to pretty much any style, that's part of why he's so special.

His classical, more internal Rachmaninov in 2006 was beautiful. I'm very happy that he's doing this Moonlight Sonata program...that Elvis Presley medley he had before was kinda trite.
    Agree with you here. In fact one could say why did he take so long to change it?

Custom Title
    I'm only just starting to watch videos now - but I just wanted to say that despite two bad mistakes on important elements, I'm liking Dai's new SP - I see a lot of potential here and really loved his costume too.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18