Thread: Yukon Quest 2013

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Yukon Quest 2013

Just want to give a shout out to that "other" long distance dog sledding race, the Yukon Quest, this year running from Whitehorse, Yukon Territories to Fairbanks, Alaska (they flipflop the start and finish cities each year). Though this race doesn't get the entries and media attention of the Iditarod, it seems like a well-run affair. They have a great website (www.yukonquest.com)! They post lots of free information, including free musher tracking and lots of free photos and videos on the facebook page, which is completely public and viewable by non-facebook members such as myself. Other races, like the Iditarod, require a subscription for the official videos and tracking, so if you think you're at all interested in this incredible sport, the Quest is a great way to get your feet wet! I love the Iditarod, too, and subscribe to the race coverage for it, but I'd like to see the Quest get the attention it deserves.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I hope you'll keep us updated!

Custom Title
    Looks like fun! I'll check it out.

From what I hear, they could run the Yukon Quest in Boston this weekend. They're talking about snow of epic proportions. Just direct those dog teams a little south and east.

The Quest is actually becoming more popular in some ways to the Iditarod - especially since it's the only race that has an international course (goes through Alaska and Canada).

I know the 2011 Quest Champion

(leave it to sled dogs to get me to come out of my hiatus for a few moments)

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It's good to see you, Toni!

How's the Iditarod looking for this year!

Custom Title
    Toni, I don't see any of the Seavey team in the Quest this year, is that right? I guess they have zeroed in on Iditarod prep.

Right now, last year's winner, Hugh Neff, is in the lead in the YQ, closely followed by Allen Moore. Allen and his wife, Aliy Zirkle, are both active mushers. They have had several close finishes in various races the last few years (Aliy was second to Dallas Seavey in last year's Iditarod, and she just lost to Michelle Phillips in a shorter Yukon Quest race a few days ago -- second by 8 seconds!) and they seem like great people (as do most of the mushers), so it would be nice to see Allen finish first. Or Brent Sass, known for helping other mushers/teams out in crises (they all do, but Brent and his dog Silver were instrumental in helping some other teams out in a bad weather situation on Eagle Summit a couple of years back) -- be fun to see him win. Or any number of men and women -- this is such a fun sport to follow, even from so far away.

Brent's a great guy. Love him.

Also love Allen Moore. His wife Aliy Zirkle nearly beat Dallas for the Iditarod win last year. She totally gives off a Susan Butcher vibe.

Hugh Neff is another awesome musher. He posted something about running in Norway instead of the Iditarod. If that's the case it will feel very odd without him.