Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Yamaguchi, Davis/White: Kellogg's Team USA

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    But I hope this endorsement doesn't give D and W a huge advantage over V and M who are Canadians and don't nearly have the endorsement opportunities. Canada is one tenth the size of the US. I am not sure the word 'deservd' is right. So many deserving skaters. I wish we could support them all even Fumie if she wants to skate.
    At the risk of comparing apples to oranges:

Virtue/Moir (and Chan) became "RBC Olympians" last month. Sounded like really great news for them. Based on the press release, the RBC program offers not only funding, but also an opportunity to develop skills that will enhance their future careers outside of skating.

Excerpt:
    Through the RBC Olympians Program, which began in 2002, RBC recruits and hires elite athletes to work as community ambassadors to bring the Olympic messages of excellence, teamwork, leadership, and commitment to communities. Athletes are hired from across Canada and during the course of their employment, gather skills and experiences that will help with their career transitions to life after sport. The program also provides the athletes much needed funding and flexible work arrangements which allow them to focus on training and competition. Since its inception, more than 185 Olympic and Paralympic athletes have participated in the RBC Olympians program and 10 have become full-time RBC employees.

No offense to Davis/White and other American skaters, but I would venture to say that as Canadians, V/M and Chan perhaps are "bigger fish in a smaller pond" -- in terms of endorsement possibilities. In that sense, hard to say whether either nationality gives its skaters an "advantage", IMHO.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    At the risk of comparing apples to oranges:

Virtue/Moir (and Chan) became "RBC Olympians" last month. Sounded like really great news for them. Based on the press release, the RBC program offers not only funding, but also an opportunity to develop skills that will enhance their future careers outside of skating.

Excerpt:
    Through the RBC Olympians Program, which began in 2002, RBC recruits and hires elite athletes to work as community ambassadors to bring the Olympic messages of excellence, teamwork, leadership, and commitment to communities. Athletes are hired from across Canada and during the course of their employment, gather skills and experiences that will help with their career transitions to life after sport. The program also provides the athletes much needed funding and flexible work arrangements which allow them to focus on training and competition. Since its inception, more than 185 Olympic and Paralympic athletes have participated in the RBC Olympians program and 10 have become full-time RBC employees.

No offense to Davis/White and other American skaters, but I would venture to say that as Canadians, V/M and Chan perhaps are "bigger fish in a smaller pond" -- in terms of endorsement possibilities. In that sense, hard to say whether either nationality gives its skaters an "advantage", IMHO.
    I like that analysis. In addition, Canada is a country that does some degree of public subsidizing of athletic programs, whereas in the U.S., there's no government contribution. Skaters either have to come from wealthy families or must find commercial sponsors. So the benefits go both ways.

Rinkside
    i'm actually pleased for d/w because v/m have long had sponsors -- roots, body shop, audi, b210 etc. and now rbc, kozy shack, lindt, pwc (a huge accountancy firm). when i heard about kellog, i did think "finally".
    Last edited by leil; 02-08-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Happy for Yamaguchi and esp. for Davis/White that Kellogg's is showcasing them.

LOL, just a superficial comment, but free cereal might not be an extra little perk of this important affiliation -- or so it seems from Tanith Belbin ‏@TanithJLB's recent tweet??
    @kellogs_US can't make a trip to the store anymore without @CharlieaWhite sneaking this on to my list! #KraveMonster pic.twitter.com/jOj1aPXB6Q
    3:43 PM - Feb 25, 2013
    https://twitter.com/TanithJLB/status/306187703970590720

An athlete with a healthy appetite [or someone like Jerry Seinfeld ] could consume a lot of cereal between now and the Olympics.

Maybe Kellogg's gives their Olympians coupons for free cereal that they have to redeem at the store??
    Or maybe Belbin is joking about getting the cereal from the store?? During Four Continents, she also had tweeted that a lot of cereal was waiting at home for White.

I suspect Tanith is practicing the art of the soft sell.

Well, then I am "shocked, shocked, shocked." Agree of course.

And how "convenient" that Belbin has her own following so that Davis/White won't always have to be direct mouthpieces themselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2