Yamaguchi, Davis/White: Kellogg's Team USA | Golden Skate

Yamaguchi, Davis/White: Kellogg's Team USA

fairly4

Medalist
d/w should be on it. not kristi. (it just should be for current athletes only) not past-.they have already got all the thing they need.

she has way too much, we won't buy it if she is on it.

hopefully will have d/w where we are at.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Because of how skating in America is I was concerned that people at Kelloggs may have thought Yamaguchi was still competiing and trying to go to Sochi! LOL!! Good for Davis and White though that they got the endorsement.

Kellogg's went with Kristi because they think that Kristi can sell corn flakes. It has nothing to do with who will be competing in Sochi or who "deserves" an endorsement opportunity.

Exactly, Mathman. Besides, Jim Craig is about three Olympics behind even Kristi, and he's there. I think it's very clever of Kellogg's to have chosen two longtime household words for this team, because (in addition to selling corn flakes, which is a perfectly legitimate thing for a cereal company to want to do) this draws people in who have never heard of Meryl or Charlie or the Paralympians or the extreme-sports athletes. It will create new fans for the young ones.

Now, if they could only have persuaded Michelle to be a co-co-captain....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am just glad there are some sponsors left who are willing to put a few bucks into skating....Smuckers has stood by us through thick and thin. Every once in awhile I contact them and tell them how much I appreicate it and tell them which of their products I enjoy. Sometimes I daydream a game called "What if?" What if 100, 000 skating fans e-mailed Kellogg and said they were so appreciative of them supporting D and W that on March 1st, they each would go out and buy 10 boxes of Sugar Froasted flakes?

leil

Rinkside
I am just glad there are some sponsors left who are willing to put a few bucks into skating....Smuckers has stood by us through thick and thin. Every once in awhile I contact them and tell them how much I appreicate it and tell them which of their products I enjoy. Sometimes I daydream a game called "What if?" What if 100, 000 skating fans e-mailed Kellogg and said they were so appreciative of them supporting D and W that on March 1st, they each would go out and buy 10 boxes of Sugar Froasted flakes?

that in itself is frustrating because i highly doubt that you get to their level of fitness by eating sugar frosted flakes. and if i indulge in it and sit around watching tv (and watching them skate), then i won't be joining them in that level of fitness anytime soon. it's great that they have a sponsor but it's one of those sponsors where ... you know those two are just there for money and promotion because they have nothing else in common.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, as well as Sugar Frosted Flakes, Kellogg's also sells Kashi, Miniwheats, corn flakes without sugar coating & Rice Krispies, and raisin bran.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kellogg's went with Kristi because they think that Kristi can sell corn flakes. It has nothing to do with who will be competing in Sochi or who "deserves" an endorsement opportunity.

Exactly, Mathman. Besides, Jim Craig is about three Olympics behind even Kristi, and he's there. I think it's very clever of Kellogg's to have chosen two longtime household words for this team, because (in addition to selling corn flakes, which is a perfectly legitimate thing for a cereal company to want to do) this draws people in who have never heard of Meryl or Charlie or the Paralympians or the extreme-sports athletes. It will create new fans for the young ones.

Now, if they could only have persuaded Michelle to be a co-co-captain....

I am just glad there are some sponsors left who are willing to put a few bucks into skating....Smuckers has stood by us through thick and thin. Every once in awhile I contact them and tell them how much I appreciate it and tell them which of their products I enjoy. Sometimes I daydream a game called "What if?" What if 100, 000 skating fans e-mailed Kellogg and said they were so appreciative of them supporting D and W that on March 1st, they each would go out and buy 10 boxes of Sugar Frosted flakes?

:agree:

:biggrin: except for one thing. I wish that Smuckers would still sponsor SOI (maybe, just maybe, there would be more shows for this season's tour?). Wishful thinking on my part?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Kellogg's does Kashi? I'm in. And I'm quite fond of the occasional Raisin Bran.

Well I guess it will make you "regular". But I hope this endorsement doesn't give D and W a huge advantage over V and M who are Canadians and don't nearly have the endorsement opportunities. Canada is one tenth the size of the US. I am not sure the word 'deservd' is right. So many deserving skaters. I wish we could support them all even Fumie if she wants to skate.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
But I hope this endorsement doesn't give D and W a huge advantage over V and M who are Canadians and don't nearly have the endorsement opportunities. Canada is one tenth the size of the US. I am not sure the word 'deservd' is right. So many deserving skaters. I wish we could support them all even Fumie if she wants to skate.

At the risk of comparing apples to oranges:

Virtue/Moir (and Chan) became "RBC Olympians" last month. Sounded like really great news for them. Based on the press release, the RBC program offers not only funding, but also an opportunity to develop skills that will enhance their future careers outside of skating.

Excerpt:
Through the RBC Olympians Program, which began in 2002, RBC recruits and hires elite athletes to work as community ambassadors to bring the Olympic messages of excellence, teamwork, leadership, and commitment to communities. Athletes are hired from across Canada and during the course of their employment, gather skills and experiences that will help with their career transitions to life after sport. The program also provides the athletes much needed funding and flexible work arrangements which allow them to focus on training and competition. Since its inception, more than 185 Olympic and Paralympic athletes have participated in the RBC Olympians program and 10 have become full-time RBC employees.

No offense to Davis/White and other American skaters, but I would venture to say that as Canadians, V/M and Chan perhaps are "bigger fish in a smaller pond" -- in terms of endorsement possibilities. In that sense, hard to say whether either nationality gives its skaters an "advantage", IMHO.

At the risk of comparing apples to oranges:

Virtue/Moir (and Chan) became "RBC Olympians" last month. Sounded like really great news for them. Based on the press release, the RBC program offers not only funding, but also an opportunity to develop skills that will enhance their future careers outside of skating.

Excerpt:
Through the RBC Olympians Program, which began in 2002, RBC recruits and hires elite athletes to work as community ambassadors to bring the Olympic messages of excellence, teamwork, leadership, and commitment to communities. Athletes are hired from across Canada and during the course of their employment, gather skills and experiences that will help with their career transitions to life after sport. The program also provides the athletes much needed funding and flexible work arrangements which allow them to focus on training and competition. Since its inception, more than 185 Olympic and Paralympic athletes have participated in the RBC Olympians program and 10 have become full-time RBC employees.

No offense to Davis/White and other American skaters, but I would venture to say that as Canadians, V/M and Chan perhaps are "bigger fish in a smaller pond" -- in terms of endorsement possibilities. In that sense, hard to say whether either nationality gives its skaters an "advantage", IMHO.

I like that analysis. In addition, Canada is a country that does some degree of public subsidizing of athletic programs, whereas in the U.S., there's no government contribution. Skaters either have to come from wealthy families or must find commercial sponsors. So the benefits go both ways.

leil

Rinkside
i'm actually pleased for d/w because v/m have long had sponsors -- roots, body shop, audi, b210 etc. and now rbc, kozy shack, lindt, pwc (a huge accountancy firm). when i heard about kellog, i did think "finally".

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Happy for Yamaguchi and esp. for Davis/White that Kellogg's is showcasing them. :)

LOL, just a superficial comment, but free cereal might not be an extra little perk of this important affiliation -- or so it seems from Tanith Belbin ‏@TanithJLB's recent tweet??
@kellogs_US can't make a trip to the store anymore without @CharlieaWhite sneaking this on to my list! #KraveMonster pic.twitter.com/jOj1aPXB6Q
3:43 PM - Feb 25, 2013
https://twitter.com/TanithJLB/status/306187703970590720

An athlete with a healthy appetite [or someone like Jerry Seinfeld ;)] could consume a lot of cereal between now and the Olympics. :yes:

Maybe Kellogg's gives their Olympians coupons for free cereal that they have to redeem at the store??
Or maybe Belbin is joking about getting the cereal from the store?? During Four Continents, she also had tweeted that a lot of cereal was waiting at home for White. :laugh: