Davis/Ladwig end partnership | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Davis/Ladwig end partnership

Icey

Record Breaker
Duhamel is 27 and Caitlin 22 and have had three partners. This skater is 20 and looking for her fourth. Maybe the problem is the selection process. I don't know. This last pairing lasted only one season.

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I fully expected this breakup to happen after Nationals. This pair just had weren't relating out there on the ice, and therefore no future, it was pretty obvious in competitions. I think Mark should have called it a day when Amanda did, and started to move on with his life, and I mean no disrespect in that. Lindsay I don't know much about, I don't hold having 3 partners against her per se, but I somehow get this weird impression watching her skate, that she resents doing pairs.

just wondering

On the Ice
I fully expected this breakup to happen after Nationals. This pair just had weren't relating out there on the ice, and therefore no future, it was pretty obvious in competitions. I think Mark should have called it a day when Amanda did, and started to move on with his life, and I mean no disrespect in that. Lindsay I don't know much about, I don't hold having 3 partners against her per se, but I somehow get this weird impression watching her skate, that she resents doing pairs.

Weren't relating on the ice? Heck, I don't think they were relating very well off the ice, either. Those interviews from IN during nationals were icy - little eye contact and obvious uncomfortableness with each other. Almost as if they didn't really care for each other, or perhaps is was she who didn't enjoy his company. Not that pairs need to be BFFs, but congeniality and comfort go a long way in training, particularly in countries where partnerships are not managed by the Federation.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Weren't relating on the ice? Heck, I don't think they were relating very well off the ice, either. Those interviews from IN during nationals were icy - little eye contact and obvious uncomfortableness with each other. Almost as if they didn't really care for each other, or perhaps is was she who didn't enjoy his company. Not that pairs need to be BFFs, but congeniality and comfort go a long way in training, particularly in countries where partnerships are not managed by the Federation.

At the interview with Andrea Joyce at the nationals gala, I thought Mark looked really happy but Lindsay looked grouchy..

icebeauty

On the Ice
Mark adn Lindsay could do the skills and tricks, but that was it...there was nothing else there. i really hope that this means Lindsay can partner with Rockne - assuming it works. With Rockne's height being a reason why he can't find a partner who won't become too tall, the fact that Lindsay is under 5 feet and past the "growth spurt" phase could be promising...assuming that she's planning on continuing pairs.
I was sad that Mary Beth and Rockne split, since Rockne is such a solid pairs skater. But I won't lie, the fact that Mary Beth was right out of juniors was a visual disparity on the ice in terms of artistry and maturity/presentation. Rockne has always presented his partners very well on the ice to ensure that you stay focused on the girl rather than him. And Rockne needs a partner, I can't take having him on the sidelines AGAIN (which ever female skate he ends up with better be able to land her jumps tho...)

---
side note: I also, think that the mentality about pairs needs to change...doing paris doesn't mean that the only things that matter are the tricks -- get those pair spins and footwork faster, make them more interesting -- or that it means it's your "fallback" if your singles career doesn't work out...

tulosai

Record Breaker
. But I won't lie, the fact that Mary Beth was right out of juniors was a visual disparity on the ice in terms of artistry and maturity/presentation.

Yeah but I think that could have come (and in fact I think she had already improved a lot by the end of their second season together). She was only 16 and he isn't terribly old. There was a disparity but (and I know, it can never happen for some reason in the USA now, but if) they could have in reality gone to Sochi and then had another 4 years together to further develop as a team and made a run at a second Olys, at which point she'd likely have at the very least caught up with him. Of course it is bygones now but I saw huge potential in them and am still sad that they split.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Yeah, I wish Mark and Lindsay well in their future endeavors. They were pleasant to watch, but obviously for one reason or another didn't click well enough to continue through the Olympic year. I thought Mark was trying to see if he could make another run to the Olympics. But at least Mark had a great Olympic experience with Amanda in 2010.

I too loved Marley/ Brubaker and was sad at their split because they seemed to have unlimited potential. It seems as if it was emotional immaturity rather than physical immaturity that contributed to the break-up. Perhaps Mary Beth didn't enjoy the pressure involved in high stakes senior competition. Sometimes young people leave skating because they have no choice; other times they may leave because they are interested in discovering other pursuits.

I too hope Rockne finds a suitable partner who will stick.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Isn't it time Rockne moved on too. I think Dube and Hay moved on too and he wasn't that old sometimes it is just over.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lindsay Davis' last partner before Ladwig was Themi Leftheris in the 2010-2011 season; after they finished 7th at Nationals, they split. Lindsay was 18 at the time, Themi 27. IIRC, Themi retired after that season.

Previously, she skated with Alex Merritt in the 2008-2009 season; she was 15 and he 22. They won Pacific Sectionals but split after placing 12th at Nationals.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Lindsay Davis' last partner before Ladwig was Themi Leftheris in the 2010-2011 season; after they finished 7th at Nationals, they split. Lindsay was 18 at the time, Themi 27. IIRC, Themi retired after that season.

Previously, she skated with Alex Merritt in the 2008-2009 season; she was 15 and he 22. They won Pacific Sectionals but split after placing 12th at Nationals.

So she's got a record of only staying with partners for one year, although it's not like that's unusual in US pairs skating.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In both of her previous partnerships, both men were much older with lots more experience. They may have been looking for instant success and when they didn't get it, they bailed. It is very common in US Pairs skating for the men to look elsewhere because they can more easily find new partners, while the girl is the one left behind. It doesn't seem fair to blame the splits on Davis, especially considering her age at the time in both cases.

Mystic

Rinkside
Third time could be the charm for Rockne. ;)

I actually think this would be Rockne's fifth partner, Mariel Miller, Keauna McLaughlin, Mary Beth Marley, and I think he had one partner before Mariel but not positive. However that being said most of the pair guys have had several partnerships.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
In both of her previous partnerships, both men were much older with lots more experience. They may have been looking for instant success and when they didn't get it, they bailed. It is very common in US Pairs skating for the men to look elsewhere because they can more easily find new partners, while the girl is the one left behind. It doesn't seem fair to blame the splits on Davis, especially considering her age at the time in both cases.

That's true. Mark was also much older with more experience.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ladwig becoming an ice dancer??? (see Mar 8 tweets)

??? Is Ladwig becoming an ice dancer? Based on his tweets below, inquiring minds ...

@LadwigMark
Watch out @USFigureSkating passed my juvenile & intermediate freeskates today! Thank you Ciara Myers for partnering with me.
9:55 AM - Mar 8, 2013

@TarahKayne
@LadwigMark @usfigureskating I think he might mean dances. ;)
10:20 AM - Mar 8, 2013

@LadwigMark
"@TarahKayne: @LadwigMark @usfigureskating I think he might mean dances. ;)" Yes. Setting up has left me loopy!
10:34 AM - Mar 8, 2013​

ETA:
"Ladwig is exploring various options," said the Feb 7 press release re the end of Davis/Ladwig's partnership. It did not say that he was retiring, so maybe ice dance is one of the options?​

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
??? Is Ladwig becoming an ice dancer? Based on his tweets below, inquiring minds ...

@LadwigMark
Watch out @USFigureSkating passed my juvenile & intermediate freeskates today! Thank you Ciara Myers for partnering with me.
9:55 AM - Mar 8, 2013

@TarahKayne
@LadwigMark @usfigureskating I think he might mean dances. ;)
10:20 AM - Mar 8, 2013

@LadwigMark
"@TarahKayne: @LadwigMark @usfigureskating I think he might mean dances. ;)" Yes. Setting up has left me loopy!
10:34 AM - Mar 8, 2013​

Maybe he's going to be coaching and wanted to see what the tests were like?