2013 4CC's Ice Dance SD | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2013 4CC's Ice Dance SD

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am a bit confused I thought this year V and M have had problems with both programs but moreso with the short and the lifts in the FD. I do think Carmen is more of a stretch than D and W but with that risk I would suggest means it is harder for at least the skaters to do something "more different". That does not translate into marks which is why I think D and W will win or shouldwin the FD especially if they do their best. I would say V and M do stretch themselves more but that does not equate to points in commpetition.

emdee

Final Flight
Yeah, why should they be on either count? Sure Worlds is in London, Ont., and we shall see what happens. It ain't over till it's over. One thing M&C will always have over Tessa and Scott "I hate WTT" Moir, is CLASS.

Since you are getting personal I think that Tessa has more class than M&C put together. And between the two of M&C I think he has more class. Yes Meryl is not as outspoken as Scott but she is always rolling her eyes in a particular way....

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Can we please not get into a battle over who is more classy? When I said that Meryl and Charlie were classy, I was not insulating that V/M were lacking in it. (Namely responding to the post that was talking about D/W fans taking on Tonya Harding knee-whacking tactics).

People roll their eyes sometimes. I do it sometimes. Does that make me a bad person? :biggrin: Sometimes we say things we don't mean. I do it. Does that also make me a bad person? :biggrin:

So therefore no need to insulate people's character based on a few actions.

ETA: For the record, I do think Meryl and Charlie are classy on the whole. Classy doesn't mean elegant, but they're just good people. And I agree that Tessa is quite demure and classy as well. Scott, deep down, is a nice guy who likes to express himself. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
The opening comment is the kind of personal assessment I don't think proper for a commentator.

As you have "this" personal opinion, so can Chris have his. And nothing wrong to make it public either, IMO. He said it before actually, it is not the first time.

herios

Medalist
I am a bit confused I thought this year V and M have had problems with both programs but moreso with the short and the lifts in the FD. .
There were reports out piblic, where they mentioned that their SD has been slightly changed after the fall season, to address some issues they thought should be fixed. Already at canadian nationals, when they skated it looked so much better than in the fall.
By the way, that is why they are athletes, to try to get better, if something is not working right. We shouldn't expect them just to "coast" from one event to the other.

Last edited:

uncchristine99

Rinkside
Oooh... not a huge margin there. I do like the changes to V/M's short dance... I'd heard that they debuted changes at their Nationals but this is my first time actually seeing it. Very nice and I thought it was beautifully done, though the music is still not jaunty enough for me during the polka.

D/W also had a good outing but yes, there was the very obvious difficulty at the end of the no-touch circular steps. I really love that circular step so it's unfortunate there but I'm very happy that they got 4s on both patterns and taking a quick glance at the protocols, they were the only pair to do so. Way to go!

In general, I feel like V/M should always win the SD. Music notwithstanding, V/M are the best when it comes to the compulsory dances and unless their program (or music) is a dud or there's a major mistake, it's safe to say V/M should always win the SD. But also in general, it's the other way around in the free dance and unless the program is a dud or there's a major mistake, it's safe to say D/W should always win the FD. So, after all that, if D/W can stay close to V/M after the short, they are in great position to run away with it overall in the FD. I'm looking forward to it!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I was just checking the protocols and I became very surprised when I saw the scores for Gilles & Poirier. One judge scored them about 5 in every component. :rolleye:
Only 5.50 for interpretation/timing.

jan

On the Ice
I am not surprised. She has a lot of work to do to improve her skating skills. I think they are quite weak.

I was just checking the protocols and I became very surprised when I saw the scores for Gilles & Poirier. One judge scored them about 5 in every component. :rolleye:
Only 5.50 for interpretation/timing.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Amazing how much Chock and Bates have improved! I was entertained by their short dance more than any of the other couples here.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh gosh, just the opposite for me......something about them just doesn't do it for me.

I find people's thoughts on C/B interesting. It definitely seems hot and cold. There are people who absolute LOVE them and others who really don't care for them. I think a lot of people in the "don't care for" camp are also those who miss Bates/Samuelson.

As for me, I am impressed with the improvements they made in such a short time -- they looked great in the SD. I do still miss having Emily around though.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I find people's thoughts on C/B interesting. It definitely seems hot and cold. There are people who absolute LOVE them and others who really don't care for them. I think a lot of people in the "don't care for" camp are also those who miss Bates/Samuelson.

As for me, I am impressed with the improvements they made in such a short time -- they looked great in the SD. I do still miss having Emily around though.

C/B had me glued to the screen. They had the most interesting choreography.. not quite the difficulty of the top two couples but I definitely enjoyed watching them the most. As for the Shibutani's, god they just seem to be getting worst and worst. They screwed up the twizzles. I could not sit through their program without mentally wandering off at times and when I was really paying attention I just kept thinking "what the hell is this".

I really wish Hubbell would have knocked off the Shibutani's at Nationals. It's just so tedious to watch them snore and bore their way through competition after competition. And although they are young I would be willing to bet that they are on their way out and pretty much done as being a threat to anyone as competitors.

They have had their wig snatched by every Tom, Dick and Harry on the skating circuit this season, even losing to a junior team. That's just embarrassing for a World medalist team.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist

I think you're right--I really do miss Bates/Samuelson. And along those lines, I have a feeling I won't like the new pairs partnership of Narumi Takahashi with her new partner because I really loved her pairing with Mervin Tran.

Mao88

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS (updated)

1. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 75.12 Short Dance , 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 74.68 Short Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 65.44 Short Dance
4. Maia SHIBUTANI & Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 63.26 Short Dance
5. Piper GILLES & Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 60.20 Short Dance
6. Cathy REED & Chris REED (JPN) - 53.97 Short Dance
7. Nicole ORFORD & Thomas WILLIAMS (CAN) - 53.70 Short Dance
8. Danielle OBRIEN & Gregory MERRIMAN (AUS) - 48.81 Short Dance
9. Emi HIRAI & Marien DE LA ASUNCION (JPN) - 44.72 Short Dance
10. Anna NAGORNYUK & Viktor KOVALENKO (UZB) - 43.32
11. Xiaoyang YU & Chen WANG (CHN) - 43.17
12. Bryna OI & Taiyo MIZUTANI (JPN) - 33.90 Short Dance
13. Pilar MAEKAWA MORENO & Leonardo MAEKAWA MORENO (MEX) - 33.37

Complete Short Dance: Part 1, Part 2

Last edited:

edge1

Spectator
i was surprised at the protocols for G/P, all the judges gave them between 7-8 and one judge 5's across the board, same as the lowest team in the event? hope he/she gets called on it

leil

Rinkside
i was surprised at the protocols for G/P, all the judges gave them between 7-8 and one judge 5's across the board, same as the lowest team in the event? hope he/she gets called on it

why? didn't watch them, didn't see the scores, but why must a judge have to score in line with other judges or else they need to be called on it? isn't that how bad judging starts -- you don't really feel able to score them as you see them. you have to decide what other judges are going to score them and score them in line with that.