Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 166

Thread: 2013 4CC's Ice Dance SD

  1. #76
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,602
    Quote Originally Posted by auser View Post
    Thank you Mrs. P for this. IIRC didn't they also change SD programs before the start of this season? They are such lovely skaters, I like to think these challenges are part of the growth process that will spur them higher.
    Yes, they changed their SD from Mary Poppins to their current one. When they were at COR, it was only a few weeks old, so they've been behind the 8 ball a bit.

    And I agree, sometimes growth requires struggle. I don't think I would have advanced so far in my career without the struggles I went through over the years.

  2. #77
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,783
    The gap between V/M and D/W is very slim. Let's wait until Free Dance is over, shall we, everyone?

    No politiking here in Japan, and no politiking next month in Canada, either, please. That's my wish to skating god. Let their skates speak first and most!

  3. #78
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    This topic always comes up and while it's true beauty and attractiveness is inherently subjective, it still doesn't change the fact that some actors / actresses are widely considered more appealing to a wider audience than others. The same can be said about D/W. Think about it, has anyone ever seriously wonder Meryl and Charlie are dating? Why is that they used to have trouble with passionate compulsory dances such as tango and etc.? That should tell you they do have a very noticeable issue with their chemistry and passion. They are great athletes but almost too athletic for Ice Dance. Virtue/Moir are very different in that respect. They look like a pair of actor and actress on ice and they fooled many people in thinking they are a couple, in fact, they aren't. So while it's possible some people might find Meryl or Charlie more suitable to their taste, the acting skill displayed by Virtue/Moir is without a doubt significantly superior. The fact that the SD eliminated the CD and is somewhat more flexible in terms of expression vs. the OD really helped D/W. But until D/W can successfully pull off a romantic piece or a dance with passion, V/M will continue to have an edge in this area.
    Again, it comes down to taste and perception. In your mind V/M will continue to have an edge because you like them and that's how you see it. They are both great teams, but I personally see more authenticity in Meryl and Charlie. I don't like the pretentiousness that V/M often exhibit. Like I said both of these teams have pushed each other -- they've made each other better. But Meryl and Charlie IMO have more class and sportsmanship, and they have grown but their constant critics refuse to see it and respect them. It's unfortunate when M&C are unfairly dissed in the marks against V/M which has simply happened too often.

  4. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    FD is still doable, its where V/M have been struggling this season
    If they nail the overall score should be

    1 D/W
    2 V/M
    3 C/B
    4 G/B
    5 Shibs
    6 O/W

  5. #80
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,602
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    uh...only a few points you said? 5 points is a lot in Ice Dance at this level. Losing one level on one element doesn't equate to them being scored 5 points less, you are the stats person, be logical here please and don't let your feeling cloud your judgment.

    I say "a few points" in the relatively of nationals vs. international judging. Of course I know they're not going to score a 79. But they could have easily scored 75 or 76 if they have done better. So relatively, their score here was not that much lower than their nationals score.

    Nationals is always going to be a touch higher than internationals, I don't see the fuss. D/W and V/M both scored 79 at Nationals, so I knew it would be close here. I never said that D/W would run away with it here. Please check my posts before lumping me in with everyone else.

    And I don't appreciate being accused of not being logical, when I spent the time breaking down the protocals and explaining it to everyone with no opinion one way or the other. For the record, I can see why V/M is ahead.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 02-08-2013 at 02:29 AM.

  6. #81
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I don't think I would have advanced so far in my career without the struggles I went through over the years.
    That's not the same. They don't have the luxury of time. And you can't compare a professional career to a sport career. In sport, doesn't matter how hard you try, sometime you still fall short.

  7. #82
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,602
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    That's not the same. They don't have the luxury of time. And you can't compare a professional career to a sport career. In sport, doesn't matter how hard you try, sometime you still fall short.
    Um of course. Athletes fall short. I get it. But you're saying they'll never rise above their struggles. I don't agree. Let's just agree to disagree.

    And what the heck? No time? They are only 18 and 21! If their time is up, man...I guess the rest of the Ice Dance field might as well not bother....

  8. #83
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    217
    Shibs' SD is just absurd. How is that polka in any conceivable way?
    It will be a sad world when C/B and G/P become US and Canada's No.1 next quad. Both teams lack chemistry. I/K is so going to dominate the next quad...

  9. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    Shibs' SD is just absurd. How is that polka in any conceivable way?
    It will be a sad world when C/B and G/P become US and Canada's No.1 next quad. Both teams lack chemistry. I/K is so going to dominate the next quad...
    W/P are still there, I doubt G/P will pass them so easily

  10. #85
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Yes, they changed their SD from Mary Poppins to their current one. When they were at COR, it was only a few weeks old, so they've been behind the 8 ball a bit.

    And I agree, sometimes growth requires struggle. I don't think I would have advanced so far in my career without the struggles I went through over the years.
    An intriguing reply, too bad I can't ask you to elaborate here. I should have made clear re: Shibs growth, I was also referring to their willingness to take chances this season. Change music, explore beyond the beautiful, ballroom restraint of their World bronze winning Sr debut season 2 yrs ago. This is how they will evolve their artistry as dancers. IIRC, last season people complained that their programs were too
    safe, had not matured enough. Now I think they are exploring that artistic growth. Which as you pointed out, does not always come without struggles. I am looking forward to see where they continue to go.
    Thanks for all your stats, BTW

  11. #86
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    W/P are still there, I doubt G/P will pass them so easily
    I agree. And I wouldn't say that C/B are locked in as Us No. 1 for the next quad either. Shibs have had a difficult year. Maybe they should go to Igor and get the technical down. And then they would have him for them, rather than against them.

    The free dance will be very interesting-D/W need to skate clean but they have come from behind before and can do it again!

  12. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by wishonastar View Post
    I agree. And I wouldn't say that C/B are locked in as Us No. 1 for the next quad either. Shibs have had a difficult year. Maybe they should go to Igor and get the technical down. And then they would have him for them, rather than against them.

    The free dance will be very interesting-D/W need to skate clean but they have come from behind before and can do it again!
    there are new junior ice dancers coming up Mcnamara/Carpenter comes to mind easily
    maybe Aldrige/Eaton will also be successful next quad

  13. #88
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    there are new junior ice dancers coming up Mcnamara/Carpenter comes to mind easily
    maybe Aldrige/Eaton will also be successful next quad
    And I guess we shouldn't write H/D off too quickly. The US has many teams, all with strengths and weaknesses..

  14. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by wishonastar View Post
    And I guess we shouldn't write H/D off too quickly. The US has many teams, all with strengths and weaknesses..
    yes for got about them

  15. #90
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,719
    SHORT DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS (updated)

    1. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 75.12 Short Dance , 2nd Copy
    2. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 74.68 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
    3. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 65.44 Short Dance
    4. Maia SHIBUTANI & Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 63.26 Short Dance
    5. Piper GILLES & Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 60.20 Short Dance
    6. Cathy REED & Chris REED (JPN) - 53.97 Short Dance
    7. Nicole ORFORD & Thomas WILLIAMS (CAN) - 53.70
    8. Danielle OBRIEN & Gregory MERRIMAN (AUS) - 48.81
    9. Emi HIRAI & Marien DE LA ASUNCION (JPN) - 44.72 Short Dance
    10. Anna NAGORNYUK & Viktor KOVALENKO (UZB) - 43.32
    11. Xiaoyang YU & Chen WANG (CHN) - 43.17
    12. Bryna OI & Taiyo MIZUTANI (JPN) - 33.90 Short Dance
    13. Pilar MAEKAWA MORENO & Leonardo MAEKAWA MORENO (MEX) - 33.37

    Complete Short Dance: Part 1, Part 2
    Last edited by Mao88; 02-08-2013 at 06:23 AM.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •