Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 4CC's Ice Dance SD

Medalist
    Oooh... not a huge margin there. I do like the changes to V/M's short dance... I'd heard that they debuted changes at their Nationals but this is my first time actually seeing it. Very nice and I thought it was beautifully done, though the music is still not jaunty enough for me during the polka.

D/W also had a good outing but yes, there was the very obvious difficulty at the end of the no-touch circular steps. I really love that circular step so it's unfortunate there but I'm very happy that they got 4s on both patterns and taking a quick glance at the protocols, they were the only pair to do so. Way to go!

In general, I feel like V/M should always win the SD. Music notwithstanding, V/M are the best when it comes to the compulsory dances and unless their program (or music) is a dud or there's a major mistake, it's safe to say V/M should always win the SD. But also in general, it's the other way around in the free dance and unless the program is a dud or there's a major mistake, it's safe to say D/W should always win the FD. So, after all that, if D/W can stay close to V/M after the short, they are in great position to run away with it overall in the FD. I'm looking forward to it!

Help requested from dance experts. Where did Charlie mess up? Is it right here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PNkyG92D_g#t=1m44s

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Help requested from dance experts. Where did Charlie mess up? Is it right here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PNkyG92D_g#t=1m44s
    More precisely here -- www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PNkyG92D_g#t=1m55s You can see that Charlie trips us and misses a bracket, which led them to lose the level. Overall all it's not the most crisp delivery we've seen from them, which is reflected in the GOE.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    More precisely here -- www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PNkyG92D_g#t=1m55s You can see that Charlie trips us and misses a bracket, which led them to lose the level. Overall all it's not the most crisp delivery we've seen from them, which is reflected in the GOE.
    Yep, that's a slight lack of concentration. Overall, I don't think they attacked this SD as they usually do, which can lead to small errors.

I was just checking the protocols and I became very surprised when I saw the scores for Gilles & Poirier. One judge scored them about 5 in every component.
    Only 5.50 for interpretation/timing.

Custom Title
    I am not surprised. She has a lot of work to do to improve her skating skills. I think they are quite weak.

Quote Originally Posted by mikiandorocks View Post
    I was just checking the protocols and I became very surprised when I saw the scores for Gilles & Poirier. One judge scored them about 5 in every component.
    Only 5.50 for interpretation/timing.

Custom Title
    Amazing how much Chock and Bates have improved! I was entertained by their short dance more than any of the other couples here.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blackswanphoto View Post
    Amazing how much Chock and Bates have improved! I was entertained by their short dance more than any of the other couples here.
    Oh gosh, just the opposite for me......something about them just doesn't do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    Oh gosh, just the opposite for me......something about them just doesn't do it for me.
    I find people's thoughts on C/B interesting. It definitely seems hot and cold. There are people who absolute LOVE them and others who really don't care for them. I think a lot of people in the "don't care for" camp are also those who miss Bates/Samuelson.

As for me, I am impressed with the improvements they made in such a short time -- they looked great in the SD. I do still miss having Emily around though.

Custom Title
    I find people's thoughts on C/B interesting. It definitely seems hot and cold. There are people who absolute LOVE them and others who really don't care for them. I think a lot of people in the "don't care for" camp are also those who miss Bates/Samuelson.

As for me, I am impressed with the improvements they made in such a short time -- they looked great in the SD. I do still miss having Emily around though.
    C/B had me glued to the screen. They had the most interesting choreography.. not quite the difficulty of the top two couples but I definitely enjoyed watching them the most. As for the Shibutani's, god they just seem to be getting worst and worst. They screwed up the twizzles. I could not sit through their program without mentally wandering off at times and when I was really paying attention I just kept thinking "what the hell is this".

I really wish Hubbell would have knocked off the Shibutani's at Nationals. It's just so tedious to watch them snore and bore their way through competition after competition. And although they are young I would be willing to bet that they are on their way out and pretty much done as being a threat to anyone as competitors.

They have had their wig snatched by every Tom, Dick and Harry on the skating circuit this season, even losing to a junior team. That's just embarrassing for a World medalist team.
    Last edited by blackswanphoto; 02-08-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Custom Title

I think you're right--I really do miss Bates/Samuelson. And along those lines, I have a feeling I won't like the new pairs partnership of Narumi Takahashi with her new partner because I really loved her pairing with Mervin Tran.

Custom Title
    SHORT DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS (updated)

1. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 75.12 Short Dance , 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
    2. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 74.68 Short Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
    3. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 65.44 Short Dance
    4. Maia SHIBUTANI & Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 63.26 Short Dance
    5. Piper GILLES & Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 60.20 Short Dance
    6. Cathy REED & Chris REED (JPN) - 53.97 Short Dance
    7. Nicole ORFORD & Thomas WILLIAMS (CAN) - 53.70 Short Dance
    8. Danielle OBRIEN & Gregory MERRIMAN (AUS) - 48.81 Short Dance
    9. Emi HIRAI & Marien DE LA ASUNCION (JPN) - 44.72 Short Dance
    10. Anna NAGORNYUK & Viktor KOVALENKO (UZB) - 43.32
    11. Xiaoyang YU & Chen WANG (CHN) - 43.17
    12. Bryna OI & Taiyo MIZUTANI (JPN) - 33.90 Short Dance
    13. Pilar MAEKAWA MORENO & Leonardo MAEKAWA MORENO (MEX) - 33.37

Complete Short Dance: Part 1, Part 2
    Last edited by Mao88; 02-09-2013 at 11:38 AM.

^Thank you Mao88. Great skating from the top teams!

Rinkside
    i was surprised at the protocols for G/P, all the judges gave them between 7-8 and one judge 5's across the board, same as the lowest team in the event? hope he/she gets called on it

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by edge1 View Post
    i was surprised at the protocols for G/P, all the judges gave them between 7-8 and one judge 5's across the board, same as the lowest team in the event? hope he/she gets called on it
    why? didn't watch them, didn't see the scores, but why must a judge have to score in line with other judges or else they need to be called on it? isn't that how bad judging starts -- you don't really feel able to score them as you see them. you have to decide what other judges are going to score them and score them in line with that.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast