Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 4CC's Ice Dance SD

Custom Title
    SHORT DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 75.12 Short Dance , 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
    2. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 74.68 Short Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
    3. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 65.44 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
    4. Maia SHIBUTANI & Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 63.26 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
    5. Piper GILLES & Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 60.20 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
    6. Cathy REED & Chris REED (JPN) - 53.97 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
    7. Nicole ORFORD & Thomas WILLIAMS (CAN) - 53.70 Short Dance
    8. Danielle OBRIEN & Gregory MERRIMAN (AUS) - 48.81 Short Dance
    9. Emi HIRAI & Marien DE LA ASUNCION (JPN) - 44.72 Short Dance
    10. Anna NAGORNYUK & Viktor KOVALENKO (UZB) - 43.32 Short Dance
    11. Xiaoyang YU & Chen WANG (CHN) - 43.17 Short Dance
    12. Bryna OI & Taiyo MIZUTANI (JPN) - 33.90 Short Dance
    13. Pilar MAEKAWA MORENO & Leonardo MAEKAWA MORENO (MEX) - 33.37 Short Dance

Complete Short Dance: Part 1, Part 2
    Last edited by Mao88; 02-09-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Rinkside
    yes, in a perfect world, judges would call it the way they see it. But remember, this is ice dancing, and there are many reasons judges score the way they do. Its hard to believe that judge saw them as the worst team in the event, while all the other saw them differently. So call me a skeptic, but it seems very weird to me.

I noted that too. i was very surprised with the 5.50 for interpretation.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The question is, how bad did that judge think Piper Gilles was, and she was not having a great day, so there is no "they," wouldn't it be the worse of 2, or the mismatch. AFAIR, IJS sets the value to the worse of 2 skaters in a team. Dance particularly likes teams to have similar skills, and I thought Piper & Paul were looking particularly mismatched today.

However, that certainly wasn't the lowest PCS marks of the event. Oi& Mizutani, Moreno & Moreno, Hirai & De La Asuncion, all had marks in the 2's, 3's and 4's O'Brien & Merriman had marks in the 4's and 5's.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I think that to date, G&P have been pretty fortunate that the judges have tended to mark up to Paul's standard , and have been particularly forgiving of Piper's , especially at home. Extra credit for potential , assuming Piper will catch Paul up. This is bound to lead to some disappointments along the way, unless and until that potential is realized.

Quote Originally Posted by blackswanphoto View Post
    C/B had me glued to the screen. They had the most interesting choreography.. not quite the difficulty of the top two couples but I definitely enjoyed watching them the most. As for the Shibutani's, god they just seem to be getting worst and worst. They screwed up the twizzles. I could not sit through their program without mentally wandering off at times and when I was really paying attention I just kept thinking "what the hell is this".

I really with Hubbell would have knocked off the Shibutani's at Nationals. It's just so tedious to watch them snore and bore their way through competition after competition. And although they are young I would be willing to bet that they are on their way out and pretty much done as being a threat to anyone as competitors.

They have had their wig snatched by every Tom, Dick and Harry on the skating circuit this season, even losing to a junior team. That's just embarrassing for a World medalist team.
    I find Chock/Bates and the Shibutanis about equally boring. I prefer Hubbell/Donahue or even Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt by far. Which junior team did the Shibs lose to?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I find Chock/Bates and the Shibutanis about equally boring. I prefer Hubbell/Donahue or even Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt by far. Which junior team did the Shibs lose to?
    Victoria Sinitsina / Ruslan Zhiganshin

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Goooo Bryna & Taiyo! aaaand Emi & Marien!!
    Odd anecdote from Bryna Oi's blog for IN:

"Clueless about the draw later in the day, we missed it. Turns out we get to skate first tomorrow; I guess that's what happens when we're not there to draw for ourselves!"

How is it possible that the Japanese federation failed to notify their skaters about the time of the draw -- at an event in Japan, no less?! :(

Meanwhile, note to DORIS [our omniscient/omnipresent leader for all things ice dance ]:
    Best to your son. Read about his ACL injury in the Sochi thread.
    Last edited by golden411; 02-08-2013 at 09:25 PM.

skating philosopher
    C/B had me glued to the screen. They had the most interesting choreography.. not quite the difficulty of the top two couples but I definitely enjoyed watching them the most. As for the Shibutani's, god they just seem to be getting worst and worst. They screwed up the twizzles. I could not sit through their program without mentally wandering off at times and when I was really paying attention I just kept thinking "what the hell is this".

I really wish Hubbell would have knocked off the Shibutani's at Nationals. It's just so tedious to watch them snore and bore their way through competition after competition. And although they are young I would be willing to bet that they are on their way out and pretty much done as being a threat to anyone as competitors.

They have had their wig snatched by every Tom, Dick and Harry on the skating circuit this season, even losing to a junior team. That's just embarrassing for a World medalist team.
    Just noting: the Shibs were not 100 percent when they lost to Sinitsina/Zhiganshin; I think they would have caught up and pass them in the FD had Alex not injured himself. That was basically a meltdown for them and they only lost to S/Z in the FD by fewer than 2 points.

Everyone knows my view on the Shibs' future, so I'm not going to belabor it. I'm not really a betting woman, so I'll just let time speak for itself.

Custom Title
    In 2011, the Shibutanis won bronze at Worlds. They beat the then European Champions and 4th ranked at previous year's Worlds. They did so in their first senior season.

Just sayin'

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Just noting: the Shibs were not 100 percent when they lost to Sinitsina/Zhiganshin; I think they would have caught up and pass them in the FD had Alex not injured himself. That was basically a meltdown for them and they only lost to S/Z in the FD by fewer than 2 points.

Everyone knows my view on the Shibs' future, so I'm not going to belabor it. I'm not really a betting woman, so I'll just let time speak for itself.
    I would not give the Shibs the excuse of not being 100 percent and losing to that team. If Alex was unhealthy he should have just pulled a "Tessa 4Continents 2011". At least they could have saved some face that way.

skating philosopher
    I would not give the Shibs the excuse of not being 100 percent and losing to that team. If Alex was unhealthy he should have just pulled a "Tessa 4Continents 2011". At least they could have saved some face that way.
    Alex got injured DURING the FD, so... I guess they could have just W/D then, but I admire them for toughing it out. The audience was quite supportive when he decided to continue.

And I'm not making excuses just observations. And the Shibs never have made any either, FWIW.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    In 2011, the Shibutanis won bronze at Worlds. They beat the then European Champions and 4th ranked at previous year's Worlds. They did so in their first senior season.

Just sayin'
    Nope that was a total fluke and that was the peak of their career. They never will rise up the ranks EVER AGAIN. THEY ARE DOOMED FOREVER.

Figured I save everyone's time.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 02-08-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Banned
    Amazing how much Chock and Bates have improved! I was entertained by their short dance more than any of the other couples here.
    yes they are, but still they look a bit mismatched to me

Custom Title
    I will say that I had higher hopes for this SD, though (we've discussed this already). It's interesting that Marina so nailed the SD for D/W and struggled to find the right fit for V/M and the Shibs, both who have conceptual short dances that might have been better suited to free dances. V/M made the right choice to simplify the emotional tenor (it was a mysterious, ethereal piece before) of the program and fit it more closely to the standard polka theme (it's very playful now); I don't think the Shibs really explored making a choice. But I love how expressive Maia is with her arms and body, and Alex is right up there with her. I really do hope they aren't dumped like everyone seems to want them to be, but the breadth of American ice dance right now is phenomenal.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast