Aarons 4S+2T: bad tactics? | Golden Skate

Aarons 4S+2T: bad tactics?

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Why jumps Aaron 4S+2T and 3Lz in his SP? He coud reach with 4S and 3Lz+3T much more points.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
But in the FS he jumped only a 4S+2T. The 4S+3T is evidently too risky for him.

He wants to repeat the salchow. He wants to backload a triple triple combo. It's not unheard of (Lambiel would do a 4-2-2 as his first combination, and than a 3-3 in the backhalf). It's a points thing.

As for the SP, it's a risk because if he doesn't do a combo, he gets hammered.

The link says that he planned a 4S/3T. In the last three competions he planned this, but only in the SP at Nationals he was succesful. For that reason I mean he should change the tactics and jump in the SP 4S and 3Lz+3T.

Ah, you are right.

He planned 4s/3t and when it didn't work he changed 2axel...3salchow to 3toe...3salchow. Right.

I do agree that 3lutz/3toe (performed in the second half) would be more consistent for him probably. Although we don't really know. Maybe it isn't?

Also, if he does hit 4s/3t, it has the 'wow! factor' and the judges are likely to hand out big GOEs.

LRK

Record Breaker
Also, I think the only way to make something consistent is to stick with it - until it works. And if he's already done it once, there is no reason to assume he won't succeed again.

mskater93

Record Breaker
It may also have a high success rate in training which means just getting over the hump of competing it...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Also, if he does hit 4s/3t, it has the 'wow! factor' and the judges are likely to hand out big GOEs.

ITA. Up-and-coming skaters really need to wow the judges to get noticed. Someone like Chan or Yuzuru could do a 3/3 and a solo quad and get the same marks, but I think it helps lesser known skaters get a higher score when they accomplish these difficult combos.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
But in the FS he jumped only a 4S+2T. The 4S+3T is evidently too risky for him.

His strategy was to maximize points by repeating the higher valued jumps: 4S and 3A. Once he repeated those two jumps, he could only do one 3T, which he opted to do in a combination in the second half of the program.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
He should still do 3T on either the 4S or the 3A in his LP, if he wants to maximize his points. His 3T-half loop-3S combo would then become a 2Axel-half loop-3Sal combo.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the KnC Max said something to Zakrajsek after the FS, "I'm going to do it. I'm going to go for it".
I think Max was referring to his intention to do 3 quads in his FS at Worlds.