2013 4CC Ladies Short Program | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2013 4CC Ladies Short Program

jaylee

Medalist
One judge did. That's probably why one judge gave her -2 goe

My guess for the -2 GOE on Mao's triple loop is that it's because of the comparative lack of steps. It looked like Mao had better transitions ahead of her 3F/2Lo than her 3Lo, which is weird because that's the jump that is supposed to be out of footwork. She definitely reduced the transitions she had preceding the 3Lo at this competition versus what she had at the GPF. But only one judge noticed.

artsciboy

On the Ice
I think Akiko was slightly better in terms of that, but Kanako's low PCS continue to annoy me. Two excellent performances. I would have put Kanako slightly ahead of Akiko because of the tech mark, though.

Mao deserved 1st because of the tech mark, but her actual performance was the least impressive of the Japanese ladies, IMO.

Christina was very nice, happy to see her put in that solid of a performance. The 2Axel was probably the best I've ever seen her do, good improvement there on a jump that has been a weak spot for her.

I totally agree. Akiko delivered the better performance over her teamates. I wish her PCS didn't have as big a gap with Mao's.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I don't think anyone has been hating on Agnes. I actually probably have come the closest, several pages back in this thread, and I don't think I was spitting vitriol by any strech of the imagination.

I think for the most part all anyone is saying is they do not like her and they wish USFSA would stop placing her ahead (PCS wise especially) of Gao, especially when her programs are always marred with falls. I also said I don't think she has may fans on the board, which I maintain, but I am actually glad you have spoken out as a fan, because I personally always like when people present different sides of things.

However, at the end of the day, as you say below, it is all only my (and whoever else posts about her skating) opinion. Neither I nor anyone else has made a personal attack against her (at least in this thread... there was a crazy comment in the edge earlier today about Agnes's mom or something... but leaving that aside...) and it is our right to say we don't enjoy her skating.

That all said, I disagree with the (admittedly interesting) comparison to Carolina. Her posture and edging are far worse than Carolinas and in my opinion she totally lacks the grace/elegance/presence on the ice. However, I totally respect your opinion and find it interesting. I do agree they both have great speed.

Well said, tulosai. If Agnes had redeemed herself at 4CCs after being gifted at Nationals, everyone would be giving her props, because she does have high beautiful jumps. Other than that, she does not yet have a compelling presence or apparently confidence on the ice. There is still the long program here for Agnes to see if she can have a better send-off to the off-season (unless she gets to go to WTT). I guess Agnes will figure it all out, or she won't. This sport can relegate skaters to yesterdays news faster than anybody can say "3/3, quad, quad, quad" really fast 3 times. ;)

This is a rough and tumble sport, masquerading as an elitist party for ice princesses, ice quad Kings, and those in the know numbers-wise. It's not for faint-hearted fans, the general public, or sissies. :p

jamie

On the Ice
It's all subjective when it comes down to comparing apples and oranges when competitors .......but again to me not as aesthetically pleasing to watch as Gao.

Yeah, that's the stuff, jamie, you ISU-enabler you. :p .
I get what you're saying.

It's true, I'm now a philistine :cry: molded by the ISU. Honestly, I'm not even particularly interested in the sport anymore, maybe because unlike you, I can't even enjoy anyone for what they do. Rather, I end up counting revs, comparing transitions and complications, revolutions etc.

Today was the first time in ages, particularly for ladies, where I ENJOYED programs in much the same way as I would have pre-COP. It was on second viewing that I looked for COP elements and have concluded that the intricacies of programs, particularly found in new skaters like Osmond and Gao are worth the cold code counting.

This is a rough and tumble sport, masquerading as an elitist party for ice princesses, ice quad Kings, and those in the know numbers-wise. It's not for faint-hearted fans, the general public, or sissies. :p

I contest that! I am a lily-livered, chicken-hearted sissy, and I am a skating fan. They have to let me stay here. Football, wrestling, and auto-racing won't take me. (And I wouldn't go even if they took me.)

fairly4

Medalist
good job to mao in short program, one of your best, keep it up
great job christina gao in short. a little low, but great job. i saw a side of you i didn't see before, keep it up.
good luck to all in long

Art&Sport

Medalist
I contest that! I am a lily-livered, chicken-hearted sissy, and I am a skating fan. They have to let me stay here. Football, wrestling, and auto-racing won't take me. (And I wouldn't go even if they took me.)

:laugh: Okay, I concede that sissies can sure watch with the Tums handy, but they wouldn't make it out of a public session, much less out of a coaching session, or a regionals or sectionals of any kind, shape or form. Forget about U.S. Nationals or any Nationals for that matter. Which means, there ain't no sissies in figure skating. ;)

Icey

Record Breaker
What if Lacoste out skates Ormond? Wouldn't think it likely, but I would never have thought their sp scores would be so close?

katymay

Medalist
The History of the Lady's Triple Axel on Film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29SMYaEwGyM

Chin???? Harding had such a lean in most of hers that it is amazing she was able to land them.

Harding was a great jumper. Midori Ito was in a league by herself...but Harding was powerful. Courtney Hicks is capable of doing a triple axel-she has good power and spins very fast in the air. If she does a triple axel next year she stands a chance of being on the Olympic team. If she doesn't? Well...there are many who have the same jumps she has. I can't believe women are not doing triple axels, I assumed by now they would have almost been standard at the world level-or perhaps at the same level that men do quads.

As far as the Mao/Akiko comparison-apples and oranges, and in the '6.0' point of view, they were both wonderful. I wish they could both win, but I would love to seen them go 1-2, with Gao sneaking in for the bronze.

Art&Sport

Medalist
... Courtney Hicks is capable of doing a triple axel-she has good power and spins very fast in the air. If she does a triple axel next year she stands a chance of being on the Olympic team...

As far as the Mao/Akiko comparison-apples and oranges, and in the '6.0' point of view, they were both wonderful. I wish they could both win, but I would love to seen them go 1-2, with Gao sneaking in for the bronze.

If that happens for Courtney (who is indeed an explosive jumper with huge height), let's hope she brings more artistry to the table. As it is now, she needs to learn how to slow down a little bit and realize that music is playing to which she should be skating. That's a difficult concept to understand if musicality doesn't come naturally, but maybe there's hope for her. It would be wonderful if a truly great jumper came with exquisite artistic sensibilities. It doesn't seem to happen often enough.

It would be wonderful for Christina to medal here. I'm sure she would be equally pleased with another great skate to cap off her season. :)

katymay

Medalist
If that happens for Courtney (who is indeed an explosive jumper with huge height), let's hope she brings more artistry to the table. As it is now, she needs to learn how to slow down a little bit and realize that music is playing to which she should be skating. That's a difficult concept to understand if musicality doesn't come naturally, but maybe there's hope for her. It would be wonderful if a truly great jumper came with exquisite artistic sensibilities. It doesn't seem to happen often enough.

It would be wonderful for Christina to medal here. I'm sure she would be equally pleased with another great skate to cap off her season. :)

True that, which is why she must have a triple axel. (Or for that matter-a quad)It doesn't seem to me that "artistry" is as important-Gold's program is pretty slim on actual choreography, not even in the same league as Mao, Gao, Kanako or Akiko. I think BIG JUMPS are being rewarded, the rest the judges are making up as they go along.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What if Lacoste out skates Ormond? Wouldn't think it likely, but I would never have thought their sp scores would be so close?

Lacoste's FSs are often much worse than her SPs, so don't expect that to happen. Even if Osmond has a mistake in her FS, Lacoste is likely to double, pop or fall on enough jumps to keep her way behind Osmond.

Art&Sport

Medalist
True that, which is why she must have a triple axel. (Or for that matter-a quad)It doesn't seem to me that "artistry" is as important-Gold's program is pretty slim on actual choreography, not even in the same league as Mao, Gao, Kanako or Akiko. I think BIG JUMPS are being rewarded, the rest the judges are making up as they go along.

Yeah, but that last part is not a secret. It's crystal clear and many posters have been praising and decrying same.

As far as Courtney, she's lucky to have made it back so well from injury. To avoid being a flash in the pan, if I were her I'd work more on the artistry. She's got the jumps down. I don't think ladies with great jumping ability absolutely need to all start working on 3-axels just yet.

Gracie Gold does need to work on presentation and better choreography too if she is gonna be able to take her skating to the next level. Lots of ladies coming up these days are sporting the difficult combo jumps, so artistry is absolutely needed to stand out from the crowd, IMHO.

ForeverFish

Medalist
3 exceptional short programs.

I'm insulted by Akiko Suzuki's marks however, that program was genius.....some of the best IN I have ever witnessed. 70 would have been easily justified.

Gao is clearly the best US gal at the moment, her skills are subtle and the US fed is ridiculous to have ditched her for Gold.

WHeeeeeeeee Mao is back.

Fantastic short program, best ladies 4CC ever ;) (so far :p )

You're kidding, right?

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 74.49 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 65.65 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 64.04 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Christina GAO (USA) - 62.34 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 60.36 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
6. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 57.56 Short Program
7. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 57.45 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 56.22 Short Program, 2nd Copy
9. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 54.74 Short Program, 2nd Copy
10. Zijun LI (CHN) - 54.51 Short Program, 2nd Copy
11. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 48.54 Short Program
12. Julianne SEGUIN (CAN) - 46.82 Short Program (24 mins 50 secs in)
13. Chantelle KERRY (AUS) - 43.93 Short Program (51 mins in)
14. Reyna HAMUI (MEX) - 43.72 Short Program (57 mins 25 secs in)
15. Yeon Jun PARK (KOR) - 39.78 Short Program (6 mins 30 secs in)
16. Melinda WANG (TPE) - 39.75 Short Program (18 mins 50 secs in)
17. Melissa BULANHAGUI (PHI) - 38.58 Short Program (69 mins 50 secs in)
18. Crystal KIANG (TPE) - 37.99 Short Program (31 mins in)
19. Lejeanne MARAIS (RSA) - 34.28 Short Program (44 mins 45 secs in)
20. Ami PAREKH (IND) - 30.07 Short Program (12 mins 45 secs in)

Short Program: First 2 Warm-Up Groups

Last edited:

figuristka

Medalist
Im shocked Osmond didnt ge 60+ even with taht performance , she is usually overscored
but Gracie having lower pcs than Osmond is just wrong

Osmond got higher PCS in Transitions,performance execution,choregraphy, and Interpretation and Gracie Gold higher in skating skills which is right.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 74.49 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 65.65 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 64.04 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Christina GAO (USA) - 62.34 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 60.36 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
6. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 57.56 Short Program
7. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 57.45 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 56.22 Short Program, 2nd Copy
9. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 54.74 Short Program, 2nd Copy
10. Zijun LI (CHN) - 54.51 Short Program, 2nd Copy
11. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 48.54 Short Program
12. Julianne SEGUIN (CAN) - 46.82 Short Program (24 mins 50 secs in)
13. Chantelle KERRY (AUS) - 43.93 Short Program (51 mins in)
14. Reyna HAMUI (MEX) - 43.72 Short Program (57 mins 25 secs)
15. Yeon Jun PARK (KOR) - 39.78 Short Program (6 mins 30 secs in)
16. Melinda WANG (TPE) - 39.75 Short Program (18 mins 50 secs in)
17. Melissa BULANHAGUI (PHI) - 38.58 Short Program (69 mins 50 secs in)
18. Crystal KIANG (TPE) - 37.99 Short Program (31 mins in)
19. Lejeanne MARAIS (RSA) - 34.28 Short Program (44 mins 45 secs in)
20. Ami PAREKH (IND) - 30.07 Short Program (12 mins 45 secs in)

Short Program: First 2 Warm-Up Groups

Thank you Mao88!!! You ROCK!! :rock: I've seen the top 8 ladies but I also wanted to see skaters like Ami Parekh of India, and Melissa Bulanhagui of the Phillipines. Their respective countries are not known for figure skating and I always love to lend support to any Federation making these small early steps in the sport!

* True. Although Melissa Bulanhagui is from Philadelphia, Pa., and Ami Parekh is from Jersey City, N.J. Still, yeah. :rock: