2013 4CC Ladies Short Program | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2013 4CC Ladies Short Program

SkateNater

Match Penalty
Mao's triple axels have always been UR. She tends to hook the landing 80% of the time, but most times she takes off almost backwards by the time her skate leaves the ice. The whole rotation has to be counted.

TBQH, 4CC cannot be taken nearly as seriously as Europeans and Worlds, I don't tend to watch or pay attention to it.

The Zawadzki hate is getting a bit ridiculous. This is coming from the same posters who fervently defend other skaters when someone has something negative to say about them.

If you want to see the issue many people have with Asada's Triple Axel, go back watch the first video and watch the close up replay of her take-off. She takes off going basically backwards which is over a quarter of a rotation past where practically any other skater takes off on this jump, so even if she URs by 35 degrees that's a ton of rotation she didn't do. That's why she's been *more* consistent with it without having to jump as high as skaters like Ito and Harding (or even some men). She's doing something less than a Triple Axel, and the less rotation simply doesn't require her to jump as high or powerfully as those other skaters. She does rotate in a nice position and her (admittedly ridiculously nice) upright air position allows her to hook and save landings that other skaters would fall on due to lean (she did lean a bit on this one, but it was an inside lean, which is easier to save).

The Loop looked nice, save for being a bit back on the landing. Her flip take-off edge still fishes like Cohen's and really should get an edge call. Mao's issues with her jumps is her take-offs. Almost all of her take-offs are quite wonky and in need of work. She rotates nice and upright which is great, except when you get too comfortable hooking jump landings by doing that. That is not an aspect of jumping any coach would change (or think of changing), so the only way to truly fix her jumps would be to fix the take-offs and add a bit more speed to her skating, cause she's quite slow compared to Kim, Kostner or even the Russian girls/Gold/Osmond. That should also affect her SS score, cause her edge quality is often weak on these elements and the telegraphs are obvious, but we'll see how it goes come worlds.

4CC often is quite dubious compared to Europeans and Worlds.

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
Osmond was hosed on the PCS because of that fall. Bad for her that she doesn't have a reputation yet.

She had probably the best choreographed and presented program of the evening. Tons of upper body movement and transitions, great attack throughout.

I find it impossible to find any flaws in her PCS other than her posture (which I didn't even notice because her program was so busy).
I actually thought her PCS were pretty decent considering how early she skated. It's definitely a positive sign imo. It definitely would've been higher had she skated in the final group, probaby higher than Murakami at least (as it should be).

Leonardo

Final Flight
Jesus Christ, those protocols make for a very depressing reading.
But it wasn't.

The reason judges gave positive GOE was because:
1) it's Mao Asada
2) it was a triple axel

Do you know how many of Mao's 3A got UR, DG or negative GOE inside or outside Japan in all those years? More than a half of them. Your argument is invalid.

venlac

On the Ice
Do you know how many of Mao's 3A got UR, DG or negative GOE inside or outside Japan in all those years? More than a half of them. Your argument is invalid.

I agree that 3a is not deserving '<' but, IMO it did not deserve +GOE 1.5
I think her triple axel is much better than before. And she trying to triple axel is great! but, judge should give goe on jump's quality.

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 74.49 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 65.65 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 64.04 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Christina GAO (USA) - 62.34 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 60.36 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
6. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 57.56 Short Program
7. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 57.45 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 56.22 Short Program
9. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 54.74 Short Program
10. Zijun LI (CHN) - 54.51
11. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 48.54
12. Julianne SEGUIN (CAN) - 46.82
13. Chantelle KERRY (AUS) - 43.93
14. Reyna HAMUI (MEX) - 43.72
15. Yeon Jun PARK (KOR) - 39.78
16. Melinda WANG (TPE) - 39.75
17. Melissa BULANHAGUI (PHI) - 38.58
18. Crystal KIANG (TPE) - 37.99
19. Lejeanne MARAIS (RSA) - 34.28
20. Ami PAREKH (IND) - 30.07

Last edited:

mary01

Final Flight
I agree that 3a is not deserving '<' but, IMO it did not deserve +GOE 1.5
I think her triple axel is much better than before. And she trying to triple axel is great! but, judge should give goe on jump's quality.

hahaahhahahaha

The quality doesn't get much better then this, this was outstanding. Imagine yourself sitting in the audience and seeing it live, what an experience it must be, I envy them so much!

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
I just wish Agnes could skate clean. Has she ever put together two errorless programs in a row? I think she has many nice qualities but it is difficult to recognize them when her programs are flawed over and over. I feel for her because it is a matter of handling nerves and that is one of the most difficult things to overcome.

lilshorty

On the Ice
Akiko was the class of the field for me. She exuded confidence and had great artistry. Her PCS should have been higher imo.

jamie

On the Ice
3 exceptional short programs.

I'm insulted by Akiko Suzuki's marks however, that program was genius.....some of the best IN I have ever witnessed. 70 would have been easily justified.

Gao is clearly the best US gal at the moment, her skills are subtle and the US fed is ridiculous to have ditched her for Gold.

WHeeeeeeeee Mao is back.

Fantastic short program, best ladies 4CC ever ;) (so far :p )

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
hahaahhahahaha

The quality doesn't get much better then this, this was outstanding. Imagine yourself sitting in the audience and seeing it live, what an experience it must be, I envy them so much!

Sorry, but the quality can be much, much better than this. Midori Ito's 3A (from 20 yers ago) should be the standard for positive GOE on this jump. If we give Ito a +3 for her great ones, then the one Mao performed should be base value. That's certainly not to say it wasn't very, very nice. I'm proud of her for doing it, and she gets an appropriate boost on value, but let's not get too over the top.

mary01

Final Flight
Sorry, but the quality can be much, much better than this. Midori Ito's 3A (from 20 yers ago) should be the standard for positive GOE on this jump. If we give Ito a +3 for her great ones, then the one Mao performed should be base value. That's certainly not to say it wasn't very, very nice. I'm proud of her for doing it, and she gets an appropriate boost on value, but let's not get too over the top.

well Ito's may have looked more powerful, but from an aesthetic point of view Mao's is much much more beautiful, due her gourges tight air positioning, so sorry it's not over the top but simply the truth!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK. Well, it's what makes figure skating great... there's room for differences of opinion.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I was at work but just saw the results...

Im shocked Osmond didnt ge 60+ even with taht performance , she is usually overscored
but Gracie having lower pcs than Osmond is just wrong !

though not worried about Gracie she will bounce back in the LP :love:
US Fed. stop promoting Zawadzki !!!

Art&Sport

Medalist
Oh, gosh. Even the Eurosport commentators seem to be on boring, cheesy autopilot. Only one of them was covering 4CCs ... maybe he needed help from the other guy. There was Gracie doing an okay 3/3 in her sp, but she also had a turn-out after landing the second triple, and the Eurosport guy says: "As good as gold." Nope, I don't think so.

Then when gutsy but still inexperienced Osmond begins her skate, the Eurosport guy in a dull monotone claims that "Osmond's personality is shooting across the ice ..." Really??? Apparently, he jinxed her just before she fell on a single triple jump just after landing her opening combo.

From what my eyes saw, I'd have Mao in first, Christina Gao in second, Suzuki in third, Kanako in fourth. I don't really like Mao's short program or her costume, but she sure as hellza-poppin' is determined to be ready to face arch-rival Yu Na at Worlds.

In any case, perhaps a bit hung-over and fuming after their mens' disastrous results, looks like the Japanese fed is anticipating a Japanese ladies podium sweep. Hope Christina can do her thing in the fp to at least try to crash that party.

Kanako and Suzuki were very good of course and skated clean, but to my eyes, Christina's skating is more aesthetically pleasing, even if her own fed doesn't seem to appreciate and support her. :sarcasm:

Well, on with the ummm, show, ladies and gents ...

jamie

On the Ice
I was at work but just saw the results...

Im shocked Osmond didnt ge 60+ even with taht performance , she is usually overscored
but Gracie having lower pcs than Osmond is just wrong !

though not worried about Gracie she will bounce back in the LP :love:
US Fed. stop promoting Zawadzki !!!
Osmond kicked the sh*t out of her CH and had about a trillion more nuances than Gold. I was VERY impressed with Osmond's musicality and attack, her program is so much more detailed than that of Gold, Gao and Murakami even.

Overall, however, I am so impressed with the programs of these top tier ladies. Energetic, musical, well performed, some clever details in all the programs. Gold's did feel the most junior/dated whilst Gao's was probably too 'quiet', her elements were exceptional and I happened to like the quiet detail.

Like I said, mucho impressed with the quality, the Euro ladies have their work cut out for them at worlds.

jan

On the Ice
Well said!

Osmond kicked the sh*t out of her CH and had about a trillion more nuances than Gold. I was VERY impressed with Osmond's musicality and attack, her program is so much more detailed than that of Gold, Gao and Murakami even.

Overall, however, I am so impressed with the programs of these top tier ladies. Energetic, musical, well performed, some clever details in all the programs. Gold's did feel the most junior/dated whilst Gao's was probably too 'quiet', her elements were exceptional and I happened to like the quiet detail.

Like I said, mucho impressed with the quality, the Euro ladies have their work cut out for them at worlds.